Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2012, 04:40 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,077,049 times

Advertisements

Just a relatively easy question, here- never been in Detroit proper, but I would like to know-is the drive in from St. Clair Shores to the V.A. relatively safe for someone working at the V.A.? I'm not even sure what kind of neighborhood the V.A. is in, can anyone give me their opinion about it? I had a frightening experience driving up 6 Mile a few years ago (people walking up to the car at the light, etc.), and although I wouldn't be the one going there, I'm a big chicken and worry about all of the details. So I have a scary picture in my mind of Detroit....Thanks in advance for anything you can tell me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 05:51 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,599,691 times
6 mile is within Detroit proper don'tcha know? It's also known as McNichols. I read about your incident, but I have to ask, how'd you end up on 6 Mile coming from the zoo? The Belle Isle Zoo? Or the Detroit Zoo in Royal Oak? I'm sorta confused on whereabouts you were from there if you were on your way to St. Clair Shores. Detroit's a pretty big city and Downtown is a lot safer than the outer neighborhoods.

Anyway, to answer your question.

The VA is in Midtown which is pretty safe relative to the rest of Detroit. There's lots of people around and mostly college students and medical workers. At worst, you'd see scruffy homeless people but that's nothing you should be weary of. They'll just try to bum you (or who you know going down there) for money while you're walking down the street but all you have to do is say no or give them a few cents and they'll leave you alone. Wayne State campus security patrols all of Midtown so it's actually a lot safer than most people think.

Driving to Midtown isn't bad either. You'd most likely be using I-94 so there wouldn't really be anything to worry about other than traffic jams (I-94 is especially busy around rush hour). So it'd be advisable for the persons traveling downtown to leave about 10 minutes early than they think they should.

Last edited by animatedmartian; 04-27-2012 at 06:04 PM..

Old 04-27-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
6 mile is within Detroit proper don'tcha know? It's also known as McNichols. I read about your incident, but I have to ask, how'd you end up on 6 Mile coming from the zoo? The Belle Isle Zoo? Or the Detroit Zoo in Royal Oak? I'm sorta confused on whereabouts you were from there if you were on your way to St. Clair Shores.
We were coming from the zoo, but we were on our way back to Redford (we used to live there)-my husband took 6 Mile/McNichols to "show me around", lol- I lived in a pretty rough area in California for quite some time, but the people I saw milling around on the street, and walking up to the car at stoplights, well...let me say I was literally in tears by the time we got home, people weren't too nice, and even in the rough area I lived in in CA, everyone seemed to be nice, go figure---the incident sort of colored my view of Detroit (as in.."scary")

My husband works for the VA, but we're in Nebraska right now and he has applied for a transfer there, which is the reason for all of the questions. We used to go to St. Clair Shores quite a bit, and I really liked it there, although I could do well enough alone w/out Clinton Twp. and Roseville, lol- SCS has some really reasonable rentals, and I'm somewhat familiar with the area- so if he takes the job, that is where I would want to go-thanks so much for your input, I really do appreciate it!

Old 04-27-2012, 08:38 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,599,691 times
Ah that makes sense. I've never had that experience in that area, but then again the only people I can think of that do that are people trying to sell you something at a stop light. In Detroit, it's fairly common for people to sell things (usually like water bottles or tshirts or even flowers) at stop lights. Sometimes it might be young rowdy guys and that's what I'm sort of assuming happened to you, but without actually being there when it happened I have no idea.

I know Detroit can be scary but 99% of the time the main roads are pretty okay for driving through. And of course, some neighborhoods are better than others in terms of crime. But I think if you managed enough courage, you could probably have a fun time going Downtown for a Hockey game or whatever. Detroit's an awfully big place for you to avoid the whole time while living here and you have to at least visit Downtown once.

And also you're welcome.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:09 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,741,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post
Just a relatively easy question, here- never been in Detroit proper, but I would like to know-is the drive in from St. Clair Shores to the V.A. relatively safe for someone working at the V.A.? I'm not even sure what kind of neighborhood the V.A. is in, can anyone give me their opinion about it? I had a frightening experience driving up 6 Mile a few years ago (people walking up to the car at the light, etc.), and although I wouldn't be the one going there, I'm a big chicken and worry about all of the details. So I have a scary picture in my mind of Detroit....Thanks in advance for anything you can tell me
First off, Detroit is 143 sq. mi. wide. 6 Mile is nowhere near where you must go (and it would be iompractical if you utilized 6 Mile to reach the VA hospital from SCS).

I-94 to I-75

I-75 to Mack (turn right onto Mack)

Mack to John R (turn right onto John R.)

You're there, right in downtown (Detroit Medical Center), on the right side of John R.

20 minute ride at worst during rush hour from SCS.

It's not really rocket nor is it that dangerous navigating around Detroit. It's not like someone's going to run up to your locked car and jack you in broad daylight, especially in areas that are mostly void of people.

Many people from Grosse Pointe, East English Village, Morningside, Indian Village, etc. will even opt to use Mack/Jefferson, or the one-way streets (Vernor/Charlevoix/Forest/Warren) to get to/from downtown. Though from SCS the use of those routes may not be practical time-wise.

Last edited by 313Weather; 04-27-2012 at 09:20 PM..

Old 04-28-2012, 11:50 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,933,978 times
Quote:
Six mile has become scary over the years and you hit one of the worst streets. I see Detroit as a city of "pockets" and you move between good pockets and avoid the bad ones. The VA is in midtown, and as you probably know, is part of the medical center and is ok. Taking surface streets like Gratiot or Harper go through some variable pockets. I-94 to I-75 is best. Some years ago I commuted from Balduck park area to midtown (Herman Kiefer Hospital) and there was no other way I would consider.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:09 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,905,898 times
Clinton Township isn't all bad. Most of the better areas have poor freeway access going in your direction, though. The southeast corner of the township is reasonably priced and Interstate 94 is right there...L'Anse Creuse Schools are okay as far as I know. Avoid Clintondale Schools (poor performance and lower socioeconomic area) and avoid Quinn Road.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:02 PM

Thanks so much, everyone- animated, you're right- people kept coming up to the car trying to sell things, and although that isn't a big deal, where we were and what was happening pretty well freaked me out, lol. I was used to people in California holding up signs and standing on the median, but never walking up to the car and banging on the window!

us66, Clinton Twp and Roseville weren't bad, it's just too congested and "city-ish", lol- I saw Lake St. Clair, and that pretty well did it for me!

detwah, my husband I think was trying to be "funny" taking me down 6 Mile, showing me that Detroit was a tough motorscooter of a town- although I don't think even he expected it to be that way, but it was one shot to Redford, if I remember correctly- I was just really afraid that we would get turned around somehow (well, HE would get turned around, since I had no clue where we were to begin with, lol), and we would end up downtown.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:05 PM

As an aside...my husband is a native Michigander, and I'm a native Californian-and when we married several years ago, I moved to Michigan-and absolutely fell in love with the state. So sad how the economy is there, for the most part, because what a beautiful state it is-I've been to N. MI, and was in awe-and I haven't even seen the UP yet!

I've realized that I am a true Michigander, in a Californian body, haha-

Old 04-28-2012, 09:33 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,933,978 times
Quote:
detwah, my husband I think was trying to be "funny" taking me down 6 Mile, showing me that Detroit was a tough motorscooter of a town- although I don't think even he expected it to be that way, but it was one shot to Redford, if I remember correctly- I was just really afraid that we would get turned around somehow (well, HE would get turned around, since I had no clue where we were to begin with, lol), and we would end up downtown.
If you went straight west on McNichols (six mile) across Telegraph, then you passed by my old apt bldg where I lived 12 years ago. Travelling east was too much of an adventure for me, so I avoided it. I can't explain why that particular area went down.
My daily commute to midtown was Telegraph to the Jeffries - and I don't miss that at all. My recreation was to places west.
Another aside: when that happened to me on Chicago's south side, the guy asked me for a dollar. He didn't look dangerous - just a beggar on hard times (or whatever). I felt charitable and gave him a ten. He quickly walked away thinking I had made a mistake (so I got no thank-you).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit