Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2012, 12:09 AM

1 posts, read 2,119 times

Advertisements

We just found out our son will be working at an intership this summer in Rochester Hills. We have two weeks to find living arangements. We need a six month lease for a reasonable price in a safe area. Furnished would be ideal. Would you suggest Rochester Hills or a surrounding town?Please help is needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 09:06 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,920,336 times
Try Rochester Hills, Auburn Hills, Troy, or even Sterling Heights & Utica.

He may be able to find some short-term rental/leases/sub-lets at apartments near Oakland University.

There are a ton of apartments in the Hampton area off Rochester Road & Auburn.

Not sure what price you are looking at, but it may be tough to find super-cheap apartments in this area of town.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:57 AM

809 posts, read 2,401,268 times
Maybe see if he can get an apartment in Downtown Rochester. That seems to be the most fun place around there.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:46 PM

28 posts, read 155,678 times
If you are looking for apartments in the Utica / Shelby area I can tell you what to stay away from right now. Oak Hill and Pebble Creek are the only nice ones around the area. Spring Hill is also ok. Stoney Park Place is very nice.

Foxlane, Shelby Oaks, and Village Park of Rochester Hills (Mailing address is Shelby on Dequindre) all are known for trouble and drugs. There was a shooting in 1997 over a basketball game in Village Park of Rochester Hills when it was called its old name 'Applegrove Apartments'.

Rochester Hills I know Beacon Hills apartments are very nice, Roanoke are small studio 1 and 2 bedrooms and a very small community. Rochester Place is nice but very dated. Lake Village is nice and so is Heritage Townhomes. Stay away from Northridge. Oaks and Hampton is very nice. The Hampton Planned Community is very nice to live in. It is a mix of townhomes, apartments, homes, and condominiums. River Oaks of Rochester Hills are very nice luxury apartments with many features you would find in a condo or townhome. Happy hunting :-)

Old 05-18-2012, 08:31 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,254,929 times
A shooting in 1997? Please - that's 13 years ago and most people don't live in the same apartment complex for more than 1-2 years. I have no idea if those complexes are still rough - but that sensational news doesn't help. That's akin to telling someone to avoid Grosse Point because 14 years ago there was a carjacking and high school seniors were date raping freshmen.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:54 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,773,511 times
Tavs,

Almost anywhere in the Rochester hills area will be safe and comfortable. I personally would be wary of Pontiac, and maybe the southeastern corner of Rochester Hills. My hunch is something near Oakland University ( right between Rochester Hills and Auburn Hills) will be his best bet for the shorter lease and/or the furnished apartment. My wife and I moved to the area a year ago, and absolutely love it. We line in Northridge apartments, and have not had any problems. In fact it is probably the most popular complex with the folks at my office. I think there are 4 of us who live there (out of a team of 25 or so). I don't know that they have much in the way of 6 month leases, and I am pretty sure they don't do furnished, so it might not fit your needs. Anyway, good luck!

-NoCapo

Old 05-21-2012, 07:47 AM

632 posts, read 1,067,116 times
The apartments downtown right next to the park are awesome, I used to live in those. As well as Great Oaks. And Beacon Hill (wow I lived all over around there)...driect message me if you have any questions about any of them.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:02 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,783,187 times
I don't know why a previous poster said to avoid Northridge. We've been here over a year, and we've been treated very well. Things are fixed the same day I call them in, and everyone in the office has been great to us. Many of the other complexes in RH are nice looking. I don't know what maintenance is like though. I know folks in the Hampton complex, and they like it. Village on the Green is popular with companies housing internationals, and they are nice. I don't think they are cheap though, and I'm pretty sure they aren't furnished.

Good luck!

Old 05-22-2012, 07:20 AM

915 posts, read 1,494,038 times
Ditto what peppermint said about Northridge. We've been here for over 4 years and haven't had any problems. When we do have problems, management is very responsive and helpful.

My guess is that the bias comes because Northridge has a lot of families that move in to get their kids into the Rochester Schools/to have a Rochester Hills address. People don't tend to be the upper middle class population that you run into elsewhere in the area. The population also tends towards students/older people/immigrants. It's really not pretentious here, like other places in the area. Maybe it's just not hip enough? In my cul-de-sac, there's a lot of kiddos, so I can see where that would be annoying to someone who isn't interested in little people!

Sorry, I really couldn't help you with your situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit