Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 09:42 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,848 times

Advertisements

Plan would let Detroit neighborhoods collect fee for private security, other services | MLive.com

Meanwhile... cops response time is slow, shootings are up, but only one- third of sworn officer's in Detroit have street duty.

Detroit racks up eight killings, 33 shootings in last five days | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 10:56 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times
My question is why they didn't do this sooner? Palmer Woods and the neighborhoods around there already have residents pay into private security. It only makes sense that more neighborhoods should have it if Detroit keeps shrinking its police force.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:55 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Absolutely. I think that most or all of the remaining nice neighborhoods in the City had paid security. North Rosedale Park does, Palmer, I think Universtiy does, not sure about Indian Villiage.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:26 AM

I think it defiantly is a great idea, especially in these times. Might be the only rational one too.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:57 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Then the city will no longer collect taxes from the areas servicing themselves, yes?

Why should they pay money for services they're not receiving?

everything that sounds good on paper is usually not good in reality.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:13 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
THe city will continue to collect money from every living being with two nickles to rub together as long as they can. Everyone in the City is paying for services they are not recieving, why should some neighborhoods be treated differently just because they can pay for private vendors?

Everbody in the city gets to pay for the space once occupied by everyone who is no longer in the city. Who else can pay for that space?

Old 05-24-2012, 07:14 PM

530 posts, read 1,551,423 times
The copper for infrastructure will be stolen. Probably most will be gone by the end of the weekend. Nothing will be left of the neighborhoods,

What a failure.

Half of Detroit’s Streetlights May Go Out as City Shrinks

Half of Detroit

Old 05-24-2012, 07:32 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
but only one- third of sworn officer's in Detroit have street duty.
Now for the crowd who ignorantly claims "send in the National Guard", which infringes on the constitutional rights of Detroit citizens as the Military doesn't abide by Civilian law, why not try addressing this imbalance first?

There should only be one, maybe two police officer per station IMO at all times. Maybe even a few more at the main police stations. Volunteers and School Children, who need the relevant work experience, should handle the administrative work.

Put everyone else out on the streets to patrol them. You were sworn in to serve and protect the 700,000 citizens of Detroit, do that.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmax View Post
The copper for infrastructure will be stolen. Probably most will be gone by the end of the weekend. Nothing will be left of the neighborhoods,

What a failure.

Half of Detroit’s Streetlights May Go Out as City Shrinks

Half of Detroit
lol they think their slick... they are really trying to put people in small spaces aren't they?

Quote:
Now for the crowd who ignorantly claims "send in the National Guard", which infringes on the constitutional rights of Detroit citizens as the Military doesn't abide by Civilian law, why not try addressing this imbalance first?

There should only be one, maybe two police officer per station IMO at all times. Maybe even a few more at the main police stations. Volunteers and School Children, who need the relevant work experience, should handle the administrative work.

Put everyone else out on the streets to patrol them.
I agree completely. Detroit has been CRAZY lately and im over here thinking the city can't do anything about it because of it's current situation but their doing everything they can... no... I was wrong. Some cops are out on the streets trying to maintain order, someone being shot every 3-5 hours, can't even respond to some calls because they have more serious crimes to attend to. And then come to find out that more than half of the Detroit police department is sitting on their ass all day pushing papers, talking and laughing, and having coffee and donuts while people are out on the streets wishing and praying that somehow... there will be more cops on the streets.

Detroit government= Ass backwards/ Joke/ Dysfunctional/ Idiots

This should be the picture under all of those words in the dictionary.

I lol and smh everytime I pass this building.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:24 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times
To be honest, I wonder why that building is even that big. I know it was built when Detroit was bigger, but it surely must be 2/3rds unused by now right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit