Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 01:31 PM

36 posts, read 98,021 times

Advertisements

Thanks, Prog Michael. I often visit my cousin (who, incidentally, lives in Palmer Woods), so next time I'm in The D I'll ask her to take me to some of the places on your list. I'd love to move to Detroit -- it has such a great vibe and amazing architecture. Glad you enjoyed it -- you're not alone in your Detroit love!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 05:17 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,598,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgMichael View Post
Overall, what a blast. Any suggestions for places I need to go when I come back?
Did you check out the Main Library? It's across the street from the DIA. The 2nd floor has a nice little gem that might put you in awe.

Also, there's the Joseph Barry Subdivision which has the Manoogian Mansion which is where the mayors of Detroit typically live. Kid Rock also owns a house on the opposite end of the block from there.

And for even more upper-middle class housing, Indian Village are the blocks between Van Dyke and Burns going from Jefferson to about Mack. Indian Village and the JBS are just past the Belle Isle Bridge.

And about the Heidelberg Project: I like it, and I like the guy who does it (Tyree Guyton), but it personally never moved me as much as it does for tourists. Though that might be because I practically grew up passing by it quite a lot and never really saw it as out of the ordinary. Growing up in Detroit, urban decay is a pretty common sight (as you'd expect) so when someone decides to repurpose some of the blight into artwork or something, then it's like, I sort of expect it to happen. Detroit is big and empty enough that anyone can do anything as long as they're passionate about it and it benefits the community. That block could have easily just became another den for crackheads and drug dealers without that artwork. So more power to Tyree Guyton and I hope his artwork is preserved for a long time.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:00 AM

20 posts, read 52,223 times
As a brand-new Detroiter who just moved here within the past month, thank you for your post. It's nice to hear how much you enjoyed yourselves and is helping me to establish a sense of pride in living here now. Also, your itinerary helps me to find things to do/explore the city since I have no clue where to go or what to do since I'm so new to the area. Thank you for your post!!

Old 07-09-2012, 11:21 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,272,749 times
A few places that I would add on your next visit

1) La Dolce Vita for Sunday Brunch - It's on Woodward just north of McNichols (6 Mile). Have an awesome intimate patio (rare in Detroit) and pajama brunch once/month.

2) Dakota Inn Rathskeller- On John R a few blocks north of McNichols. Go on a Friday/Saturday night with the live band/singalong - it's contagious fun. Another great German beergarden (a la Jacoby's).

3) Dessert at the Whitney - Just to soak in the old school ambiance of the place. Like slowly enjoying Ghiradelli chocolate and wine... Third floor bar.

4) Belle Isle - While you were there - my second favorite place on the island (after the point facing Ren Cen/Windsor) is the far nothern tip just past the Coast Guard Station. You park on the road and walk north - you'll come to a huge lightouse (Livingstone) and then at that peak there are benches for relaxing/enjoying the calm. Good place to canoodle.

BTW - That was an awesome itenerary!

Old 07-09-2012, 08:41 PM

240 posts, read 464,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Did you check out the Main Library? It's across the street from the DIA. The 2nd floor has a nice little gem that might put you in awe.

Also, there's the Joseph Barry Subdivision which has the Manoogian Mansion which is where the mayors of Detroit typically live. Kid Rock also owns a house on the opposite end of the block from there.

And for even more upper-middle class housing, Indian Village are the blocks between Van Dyke and Burns going from Jefferson to about Mack. Indian Village and the JBS are just past the Belle Isle Bridge.

And about the Heidelberg Project: I like it, and I like the guy who does it (Tyree Guyton), but it personally never moved me as much as it does for tourists. Though that might be because I practically grew up passing by it quite a lot and never really saw it as out of the ordinary. Growing up in Detroit, urban decay is a pretty common sight (as you'd expect) so when someone decides to repurpose some of the blight into artwork or something, then it's like, I sort of expect it to happen. Detroit is big and empty enough that anyone can do anything as long as they're passionate about it and it benefits the community. That block could have easily just became another den for crackheads and drug dealers without that artwork. So more power to Tyree Guyton and I hope his artwork is preserved for a long time.

Thanks Martian. Did not check out the Library as (although it's a beautiful building) I didn't know there was more to it than books. Thanks for the heads-up. I did intend on taking her through Indian Village, but like a lot of things on my list, it didn't make the cut due to time constraints. I'm ok with this though, another reason to go back! In hindsight wish I'd taken her to Tashmoo Biergarten. Worth doing??

Old 07-09-2012, 08:44 PM

240 posts, read 464,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
A few places that I would add on your next visit

1) La Dolce Vita for Sunday Brunch - It's on Woodward just north of McNichols (6 Mile). Have an awesome intimate patio (rare in Detroit) and pajama brunch once/month.

2) Dakota Inn Rathskeller- On John R a few blocks north of McNichols. Go on a Friday/Saturday night with the live band/singalong - it's contagious fun. Another great German beergarden (a la Jacoby's).

3) Dessert at the Whitney - Just to soak in the old school ambiance of the place. Like slowly enjoying Ghiradelli chocolate and wine... Third floor bar.

4) Belle Isle - While you were there - my second favorite place on the island (after the point facing Ren Cen/Windsor) is the far nothern tip just past the Coast Guard Station. You park on the road and walk north - you'll come to a huge lightouse (Livingstone) and then at that peak there are benches for relaxing/enjoying the calm. Good place to canoodle.

BTW - That was an awesome itenerary!
And thank you, Runner. La Dolce Vita is a new one to me, and we Chicagoans love our brunch. Will put it on the itinerary for next time along with Dakota Inn and the Whitney. Nice suggestions. In a way happy to know how much we missed as it's just more incentive to come back.

Side note, guarantee we're going back to Buddy's unless someone else can recommend a better place to get Detroit-style pizza.

And PS - Thank you for the compliment. Hope you all take pride in your City. If I lived in Detroit, I would be eager to show it off to my friends and family as well. Seriously.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:03 PM

391 posts, read 906,592 times
Thanks for your upbeat, evenhanded and informative post. I hope at least a few suburban nay-sayers and upper Michigan Detroit-haters read this.
What's happened to the city -both in reality and in myth and reputation- is a tragedy on a number of levels, not just for residents but for the entire state. For Michigan to come back strong, Detroit must be part of that revival.
I hope for the best, and thank you again for your post.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:14 PM

5,978 posts, read 13,118,780 times
Michael,

I'm so glad you guys had a great time! Detroit needs more people like you, to actually go see the city for yourself and discover all the gems. I'm not from Detroit, but I went to school in Michigan, with a lot of kids obviously from Metro Detroit (mostly from the suburbs) and even after I lost touch with some friends that lived in the area, I went back a few times to check out some areas on my own.

If you guys love classic popular music, you MUST, MUST visit the Motown museum. To actually be in the basement recording studio where all this influential hits were recorded was really amazing. If you get a chance, the Majestic Theater (The Magic Stick) is a great music venue. (also good for bowling).

I don't want to detract away from the city proper, because there are so many cool things in the city, but Metro Detroit is definitely one metro area that really does have some awesome things spread out in the suburbs. In this way Metro Detroit is more like greater LA than Chicagoland in that way.

I really would check out the Henry Ford/Greenfield Village in Dearborn. Its so much more than cars, its one of the largest museum complexes in the country. Afterwards you can get some tasty shawarma/kebabs/etc. at a great arab/middle eastern place nearby (largest Arab community in the country). Also, check out some of the nightlife in Ferndale and Royal Oak.

Disclaimer: I don't want any city-suburb argument brewing. Just simply pointing out, that metro Detroit, no matter how you cut it, is a metro area, where the suburbs do have some things that are important for a full metro Detroit experience. (again more like LA than Chicago).

Old 07-10-2012, 10:15 PM

5,978 posts, read 13,118,780 times
I suddenly have a craving for some good Lebanese food now

Old 07-11-2012, 01:22 PM

533 posts, read 1,198,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgMichael View Post
And thank you, Runner. La Dolce Vita is a new one to me, and we Chicagoans love our brunch. Will put it on the itinerary for next time along with Dakota Inn and the Whitney. Nice suggestions. In a way happy to know how much we missed as it's just more incentive to come back.

Side note, guarantee we're going back to Buddy's unless someone else can recommend a better place to get Detroit-style pizza.

And PS - Thank you for the compliment. Hope you all take pride in your City. If I lived in Detroit, I would be eager to show it off to my friends and family as well. Seriously.
It's in Hazel Park, not Detroit, but I prefer Loui's Pizza to Buddys.

Loui's Pizza
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit