Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 01:04 PM

30,702 posts, read 79,413,686 times

Advertisements

My wife has contrcted all the area rescues she can find on the internet. We are having a bad time with rescues. They have really onorus requirements for applications, vet interviews, home inspection refernces, family interviews and on and on. We go through all that and then they tell us the foster family decided to keep the puppy. This has happened over and over.

Still I will give this name to my wife and see if she has contacted them. Sooner or later maybe we will come across a rescue that actually wants to find a home for a puppy. However I am pretty nearly convinced that none of them really place the dogs, they just end up putting them at foster homes who then decide to keep them. For some reason, they advertise the puppies as avialable for adoption when really they are not available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 10:06 PM

20 posts, read 51,382 times
The adoption event in Taylor started at 10:00. We were there at 9:30, before the dogs were even there - actually helped them set up a little bit. The first two puppies out were the litter my friend wanted. She played with both for a minute, picked up the one she had fallen in love with on PetFinder and never put him down again (except to hand off to me when she had to do paperwork).

The rescue didn't really ask her any questions. Not sure if her written application was good enough, or if they were overwhelmed trying to process paperwork. We were out by about 10:30. By then most of the puppies were already leashed up and everyone was waiting to do paperwork.

Rescues can be very picky. My German Shepherd came from Michigan German Shepherd rescue. She was give up at nine months because someone in the family became allergic. My theory is they found out what a handful a German Shepherd puppy is. She was in a foster home in Jackson. I went out with my Aussie to let them meet, but they did not insist on a house visit. Could be my vet references and the fact I had just put $5000 into trying to save my previous German Shepherd from spleen cancer were enough.

My Aussie came from the Detroit MI Humane Society shelter. I took my GSD to meet him and they let me take him home right away (was already neutered).

Old 08-23-2012, 02:39 PM

30,702 posts, read 79,413,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tev9999 View Post
The adoption event in Taylor started at 10:00. We were there at 9:30, before the dogs were even there - actually helped them set up a little bit. The first two puppies out were the litter my friend wanted. She played with both for a minute, picked up the one she had fallen in love with on PetFinder and never put him down again (except to hand off to me when she had to do paperwork).

The rescue didn't really ask her any questions. Not sure if her written application was good enough, or if they were overwhelmed trying to process paperwork. We were out by about 10:30. By then most of the puppies were already leashed up and everyone was waiting to do paperwork.

Rescues can be very picky. My German Shepherd came from Michigan German Shepherd rescue. She was give up at nine months because someone in the family became allergic. My theory is they found out what a handful a German Shepherd puppy is. She was in a foster home in Jackson. I went out with my Aussie to let them meet, but they did not insist on a house visit. Could be my vet references and the fact I had just put $5000 into trying to save my previous German Shepherd from spleen cancer were enough.

My Aussie came from the Detroit MI Humane Society shelter. I took my GSD to meet him and they let me take him home right away (was already neutered).

How long ago? I do not think you would see that now. Not from a rescue. We also have execellent vet references, a heatlhy happy well behaved dog. Dog park refrences. A really nice property for a dog.

Shelters are less picky. They are happy to place their dogs and just have you fill out an applicaiton. However they had some additional forms we had to fill out when we looked at a puppy that was part pit bull.

Apparently the current application is for a Newfie/lab mix and they have two puppies. I don't think it likely they will decide to keep both of them. So they will probably either have to tell us "We do not like you," or maybe we will actually get a puppy. Apparently they asked my wife to consider taking both of them.

Old 08-25-2012, 04:44 PM

5,697 posts, read 19,083,186 times
Good luck CJ. I personally haven't had good luck with shelters and rescues. I highly praise those that are able to make it work. The only success story I have is when I went to a local pound about 13 yrs ago to get a kitten. It was city run and all I did was pay the 15 dollar adoption fee which I was refunded as long as I came back with paperwork from the vet stating I got the cat fixed. No quizzes, no background or DNA tests. My cat has been a part of the family since then.

Most city pounds are being phased out due to budget restraints. I did adopt a dog briefly from the HS in Detroit. The people are nice and do their best but arent always honest. I understand they have limited knowledge on the dogs and really want to place them but by not being completely honest just causes heart break and a return. I adopted an older puppy from them. I went several times and spent time with the dog as well as my husband and son. The dog was really sweet. We got the dog home and not too long after it started freaking out around my husband. The dog would immediately snarl and have diarrhea all over. It was obviously terrified of men. I took the dog to the vet and he pointed out some severe injuries the dog previously had including where the dog's ear had been ripped off and reattached. I didnt notice it as it was in the crease of the ear but a vet would have definitely known. I asked over and over before adopting the dog if they thought it had been abused. I was told no each time.

We tried to make it work but one night my husband called me at my job. I was working midnights at the time. He said he let the dog out and when he went to let it back in the dog freaked. It started screeching around the yard. It was such a spectical that a neighbor a few doors down called the police thinking someone was killing a dog. The cops showed up and were like dang, that is one messed up dog. So I had to leave work and get the dog inside. It liked me. So I had to take the dog back. It was extremely depressing. Thankfully one of the ladies that volunteered there said she was glad to see the dog being returned as she was agonizing over adopting the dog and when she saw it had been adopted she was a bit sad. She took the dog home that day.

Rescues are impossible. The good dogs stay in foster homes forever. The foster parents get attached and turn down any possible adoptions. I know someone that does this. She has 7 dogs and has no plans of giving them up even though she says she would for the right home. I have never been approved by a rescue. I have been denied for some of the stupidest reasons. One time I was told no because i had a job. My niece has adopted 2 dogs from a shelter in Taylor and one in Dearborn. Both are pitbull mixes though. I am not a fan of pitbulls. Even though my niece has very sweet dogs I wouldnt want to deal with the liability. Her city has been on a mission to ban pit bulls. If it gets approved I dont know what she will do. She will never get what she needs out of her house to sell and move. She has had issues with repair people not wanting come in the house even if she puts the dog in the yard, etc.

I go the breeder route. If you are looking for something specific it might be the best option. The problem is everyone loves a puppy and get adopted out fast but may later end up back in the same shelter but as an older dog. Again, I highly praise those that can save an animal and deal with behavioral issues and so forth. Its just not for me. I have a dog that I rescued from a jack ass that got the dog and I kind of regret it. She has been the hardest dog to raise even 6 yrs later. Constant new phobias, behaviorial issues, house breaking issues and so forth. I look for breeders that produce dogs with good temperaments. Not show quality or any of that nonsense but good blood lines. My other dog we got from a breeder. He is an amazing dog. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit