Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 08:18 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times

Advertisements

WE are looking for a puppy. We have a hard time with adoption agencies and other sources that can be found on-line, but we recently learned many of the local shelters etcetera do not put their puppies on line becuase they are usually gone before anyone can respond. Apparently you just have to drop in. The shelters near us currently have no puppies. We are trying to find shelters in the Detroit Metro area that do not put puppies on line (because, if they do, we have already looked at them) where we can just drop in and see what they have. If you know of a shelter in your area that handles dogs/puppies (some of them are for cats only), can you please tell us where it is located?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 09:09 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,741,554 times
Have you tried the MI Humane Society on Chrysler and Grand Blvd E.?

They have tons of dogs and puppies there I hear.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Have you tried the MI Humane Society on Chrysler and Grand Blvd E.?

They have tons of dogs and puppies there I hear.
Thank you no we have not unless they are listed n petfinder or the other one.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:29 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Taylor-tucky might have a few? Not sure if they participate in pet finder. Might I suggest an "older" dog?

Old 08-03-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Taylor-tucky might have a few? Not sure if they participate in pet finder. Might I suggest an "older" dog?
Already have an older dog. We have learned that a puppy will re-invigorate an older dog and the older dog will be happier, spunkier and live longer. Our old dog has 1-2 years left in all liklihood. We also discovered it is easier on kids if we already have a dog they love when an older dog dies. We like raising a dog from puppihood. It is fun for us and makes a better dog over the years. We appreciate those who take on old dogs and give them a loving home. We contribute to shelters or other groups that help care for and place unwanted cats and dogs in homes and we adopted a couple of feral cats and gave them a place as barn cats, but that is the extent of our interest in participating in that good cause.

Thus, you may suggest an older dog, but we are looking for a puppy. As most of the shelter sites state, it is a bad idea to take on a dog because you feel sorry for it. You have to actually want the dog. Takig a dog you do not really want just because it has few prospects is a bad idea.

Our purpose is not to provide charity for an old dog that is unwanted. That is sad, but we cannot try to save them all. Our purpose is to locate a specifc puppy as a long term family companion.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:53 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,421,908 times
You may want to check out the Humane Society in Westland. I went last week and they seem to have a good selection.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:33 PM

374 posts, read 759,416 times
Have you checked the Humane Society in Dearborn? They seem to have puppies there most of the time.

Also, the Huron Valley Humane Society is involved in the Rescue Waggin program:

Rescue Waggin' - Humane Society of Huron Valley

They have had some really nice litters of puppies brought up from the south. I think if you call them, they can give you an idea of when new puppies are arriving so you can time your visit so as not to miss them. They are adopted out quickly. We aren't ready for a dog in our life yet, but we do support the local Humane Societies, by dropping off food, supplies, etc. and visiting the animals. Really hard not to bring some of them home when we do that

I think it's great that you want your puppy to come from a shelter

Old 08-21-2012, 01:45 PM

20 posts, read 51,578 times
I went with a friend to adopt a puppy a couple weeks ago at an adoption event at the PetSmart in Taylor. She adopted a 12 week old lab/daschund mix. The puppies were listed on PetFinder with the availability date (they had to be neutered and had kennel cough to recover from). We got there about 30 minutes before the event started - which was a good thing. It was a madhouse 15 minutes after the "opened". By that time she had already picked the brother she wanted and was just filling out the paperwork.

I don't remember the rescue name, but it was not the MI Humane Society. They were set up in the parking lot with many older dogs and tons of cats, but I didn't see any puppies.

Monitoring petfinder is the best advice you can get. I don't believe there are any secret stashes of puppies out there, but when they go up for adoption they go quick.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tev9999 View Post
I went with a friend to adopt a puppy a couple weeks ago at an adoption event at the PetSmart in Taylor. She adopted a 12 week old lab/daschund mix. The puppies were listed on PetFinder with the availability date (they had to be neutered and had kennel cough to recover from). We got there about 30 minutes before the event started - which was a good thing. It was a madhouse 15 minutes after the "opened". By that time she had already picked the brother she wanted and was just filling out the paperwork.

I don't remember the rescue name, but it was not the MI Humane Society. They were set up in the parking lot with many older dogs and tons of cats, but I didn't see any puppies.

Monitoring petfinder is the best advice you can get. I don't believe there are any secret stashes of puppies out there, but when they go up for adoption they go quick.
My wife went there. She found a cute shepperd puppy (smaller than we really want, but Shepperds are good dogs). She called me. By the time I got there, they were gone. Not just the shepperd puppies, but every puppy the place had all gone.

Went to Westlland as well. The had a georgeous sweet and evtremely smart little 10 month old brindle puppy. We played with him for quite some time but decided not to adopt him becuase he is older than we want, way smaller than we want and has some pit bull in him which bothered my wife. He was the sweetest little dog I have seen in a ong time, really beautiful and smart like a border collie, but not what we were looking for. If anyone is interested in a truely beatiful and super swwet almost puppy, his name is Dozer. we tried q few other shelters, most were closed or had their dogs at the event in Taylor. most said they do nto get many puppies and place them very quickly. Most said they rarely or never get giant breed puppies.

While at Westland and one other shelter several families brought in their older adult dogs to "surrender" them becuase the kids had grown up and moved out and the parents had no more use for the dog (two at Westland and one at another shelter - not quite sure where we were). I was seething mad. I wanted to punch them in the nose. How could they just take their faithful and loyal family friend to be killed because she/he is no longer convenient? I could nto work in one of those places and if I go into one again, I will probably end up being arrested.

We keep trying adoption agencies, and they keep changing their minds at the last mintue and deciding to keep the puppies. We are trying again this week I guess (I am fed up with adoption agnecies, but my wife wants to keep trying).

I think we may end up having to just buy one from a breeder.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:34 AM

9 posts, read 18,315 times
Default Detroit Dog Recsue

You should try Detroit Dog Rescue. They have a website. They have been all over the news, and are doing great things rescuing dogs and puppies from the streets, who have been abandoned. There are around 50,000 stray dogs in Detroit alone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit