Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 03:49 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,426,535 times

Advertisements

I posted some old pics of good ol' Detroit a while ago, and they seemed well recieved. So, I though I'd make this thread of some pics I've collected, and remind people how great she was, is, and has the potential to be again. I'll keep it up for as long as I can if people are interested, and hopfully, some of you will add to it with either you're own old personal photos, or ones you've collected. Hoping this isn't so similar to the "Where's the Detroit pics" sticky...but I guess that's for a Mod to decide.

I'll start with the ones I posted before because....well, why the hell not?

First off is the riverfront. Those are cruise ships that used to ply the Great Lakes, and this isn't some special event. This is everyday Detroit. The black and white ships (and I'm guessing here), starting from Woodward are most likely the "S.S. City of Detroit III" (with the 3 funnels), the "S.S. City of Buffalo", and the "S.S. City of Erie". The white one is probably a Boblo boat.....which one, I know not.
The VERY large steamer at the bottom is probably the "Greater Detroit".

Just for reference....here's the COD III

And the "Greater Detroit"....later in life, at the same dock, painted all white.

Hard to believe we can hardly pack the "Detroit Princess" on a good day.

Woodward and State

Moderator cut: copyrighted photo removed

Michigan at Woodward

Campus Martius w/ the Soldiers and Sailors Monument (yes..click to enlarge)

mmmm....give me the Compuware building anyday We can also spot the spire of Central United methodist Church in the background up Woodward. Look how "small" Hudson's was at the time!

Washington Blvd from Mighigan Ave. The Book Cadillac is just of camera to the right, and those 4 people in the median are on State. We can see Central United methodist Church in the background here as well, thanks to Detroit's spoked street design.

....and finally, a day at Belle Isle (click this one too)

Pretty sure that's looking north at the foot bridge over the canal on the south side of the island, just off of Woodside drive.

Anywho.....hope everyone enjoyed these!

Last edited by Yac; 09-11-2012 at 02:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 04:12 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,210 times
Those are great photos. Growing up there, I saw photos similar to these at museums and in neighbors' albums. Looks lovely.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:27 PM

21,132 posts, read 19,707,707 times
I never tire of looking at those old photos. I've spent many hours on those WSU and UofM sites.

WSU Virtual Motor City Collection (Detroit News):*Home
Home:*Early Detroit Images from the Burton Historical Collection of the Detroit Public Library

This one has some nice ones too: Search Shorpy | Shorpy Historical Photo Archive

Old 09-08-2012, 05:41 PM

Well......now I'll have nothing to post. Thanks, Retroit!

Damn it.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:40 PM

Oh, don't let that stop you. I spent several minutes zooming in on the ones you provided even though I've seen them before. There's quite a lot of detail.

There must have been a lot of accidents back then, especially with pedestrians. Or maybe people were just more careful. Police at every intersection (instead of traffic lights) must have helped.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:50 PM

Nah, there were probably more. But back then people said "well the dummy should have watched where he was going!" and everyone agreed because there was accountability then.

Alright, I'll keep going with the pics when I have some time. lol

Old 09-08-2012, 06:58 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Fantastic. I love these pictures, except they make me sad. I never knew detroit like that. For us as kids it was a scary place to avoid. In College at WSU, we drove in went to class and drove out if our cars still had batteries and windows (from time to time they did not). I understand why it was called the Paris of the West in its day. I wish I could have been there.

My son will love the picture of people rowing in those funny boats on Belle Isle. He races rowing boats (shells) they are very different. He will get a kick out of those.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:27 PM

They make me sad too, man.

The Steamer "Tashmoo" at the Woodward dock. Famous in her day, scraped a rock near Amhurstburg. Made it to the Amherstburg shore at the Allied Chemical dock and sank in probably 20 feet of water. She was dismantled on site, and apparently the pilot house and ready room and such were taken off and used as a cottage in Amherstburg.

Looking down Cadillac Square.....say 1900, because there isn't a single car on the road!

Maybe 20 years later? My have times changed!

Last edited by Yac; 09-11-2012 at 02:04 AM..

Old 09-08-2012, 08:04 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,617,672 times
The Great Lakes cruise ships went away in 1967 due to new Coast Guard regulations that would have required expensive modifications to the ships to comply.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:21 PM

Amazing how dirty the Wayne County Building got!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit