Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 12:04 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,263,042 times

Advertisements

If you honestly believe you know the answer - why don't you just share it with the rest of us - it would speed things along much faster. Even the unscientific version. We're not good at guessing games =)

Old 09-11-2012, 12:23 PM

44 posts, read 46,272 times
It's the devastating effect of what I refer to as Multicultural Feedback. IMO, while most commonly centered and exemplified within the basis of ethnicity or color, it has NOTHING to do with race whatsoever. It's an intensely destructive process that I believe could be ultimately thwarted by true total equality. No system is meaningfully or efficiently functional apart from refined systematics. It literally defines the very boundaries of community potential.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:40 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,139,624 times
I get it. Sort of like Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I get it. Sort of like Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.
There is much more than that. Undeniability, for one. Chomsky thought too much of himself. For instance, who gave him his soap box in the first place? He wasn't familiar with objectivity.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:11 PM

339 posts, read 973,739 times
Its very simple, the problem is not multiculturalism, the problem is the existence of the subculture of dependency/poverty. It's all socioeconomic. Black are fleeing Detroit for the same reason Whites don't want to live in or near trailer parks. You want to get away from that culture. My neighborhood (a subdivision) is 43% minority (Blacks, Indians,Latinos, Chinese, Filipino), the 57% that is left are mostly Polish, Italian, Romanian and Middle eastern descendants. My neighborhood is very safe and is very multicultural. The one thing we all have in common are the socioeconomic, we are all white collar 2 parent families.

Ironically the neighborhood I lived before in Waterford you had rental properties right across half a million dollar waterfront homes. There was a lot of drug abuse in the area, coming mostly from the rental properties. In the same street I lived police was called regularly for drug issues, fights, etc.. The area was pretty close to be 99% white (It seems I was the only brown person on a 1 mile radius). Section 8 rentals were popping up at the time and the people living on those properties where white. I did not feel comfortable in that area because I did not want to be surrounded by loud mouth drunks and druggies.

Where I am right now I feel much more comfortable because even though we are all from different cultures, we share the same values of family and education.

Call me a snob but I don't want to live anywhere near apartments, trailer parks or section 8 rentals. I don't care how they look like, I don't want to live near them.

Detroit got infected with the virus of dependency/poverty and with all the side effects that come from it (crime,drugs), the real question is how you cure it and avoid this tragedy from happening again.

I have black neighbors that were raised in Detroit. They are hard working professionals, their kids are well mannered and polite. It seems to me the problem is the cycle of dependence/poverty not race or multiculturalism.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:34 PM

What you have just described is a symptom of the disease, certainly not a philosophical argument that would successfully bolster the forward notion of socially based cultural diversity. You yourself admit it only works on an island that keeps you and the island's inhabitants separated from those other nasty neighbors. We are a nation. How can a community divided against itself stand?

What we need is to eliminate the hook in the mouth of human nature. The snare of dependency must be loosed by design.

Materialism is not the answer, but rather, a distraction serving only those caught in it's upscale trappings.

This country was once comprised of people that knew the value of getting with the program. The primary manifestation of the disease we suffer from begs, pleads, will do ANYTHING, to entice the program to get with them on their terms. This is multiculturalism.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:44 PM

306 posts, read 819,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
There are a few percentage of minorities who are able to get higher paying jobs than statically common among their group. They then move to were they would like to live.

Now in the cities you listed, I'm only aware of crime in Pontiac and Detroit. Southfield seems to get a bad rep for crime, but it's statistically no higher than any other suburb along 8 mile. Yet it's minority population is far higher than the others. To me, I don't see a correlation.
I wouldn't go that far. Southfield's crime rates are higher than most burbs. Oak Park is the only one along 8 Mile that is higher. Granted, Southfield has plenty of shopping areas and office parks which helps inflate the numbers compared to bedroom communities.

But a very important thing to note is that Southfield's crime rate has actually fallen over the past 15 years. So, as the minority population has grown, the crime level has started to fall too. The crime rate was lower 30 years ago but at the same time, Southfield was much less developed then. Either way, Southfield is hardly overrun with crime and the more recent trends have crime dropping, not rising.

And just to note about minorities devaluing areas, that's not really true for Southfield. Southfield's property values didn't start to decline until the real estate bubble burst, just like almost every Detroit suburb. The city's socioeconomic profile is nothing like Pontiac's, etc. I get what the OP is saying but Southfield largely goes against that theory.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:40 AM

I want to thank you Marty. Your intelligent input, as has been the case with just about everyone contributing to this thread thus far, is very appreciated. I do not laud agreement, but rather welcome intelligent discourse. I know no other way to learn or effect positive progressive growth.

I know one thing, having worked in Southfield approx. 20 years ago, it's gone way down since. The quality of the area (13 Mile/Southfield Rd.) is nothing like it used to be. Especially if you go back 10 years prior to that. I have read several articles in local papers written by minority home owners that denote significant community depreciation due to minority operated gangs and minority rental infestation. They say they can't get into their own driveways without confronting the bangers in the street at this point. These are articles authored in the last two years. I know one thing, it was not this way 20 years ago.

As evidenced from Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

The crime rate in Southfield is considerably higher than the national average across all communities in America from the largest to the smallest, although at 44 crimes per one thousand residents, it is not among the communities with the very highest crime rate. The chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime in Southfield is 1 in 23. Based on FBI crime data, Southfield is not one of the safest communities in America. Relative to Michigan, Southfield has a crime rate that is higher than 90% of the state's cities and towns of all sizes.
Importantly, when you compare Southfield to other communities of similar population, then Southfield crime rate (violent and property crimes combined) is quite a bit higher than average. Regardless of how Southfield does relative to all communities in America of all sizes, when NeighborhoodScout compared it to communities of similar population size, its crime rate per thousand residents stands out as higher than most.
The crime data that NeighborhoodScout used for this analysis are the seven offenses from the uniform crime reports, collected by the FBI from 17,000 local law enforcement agencies, and include both violent and property crimes, combined.
Now let us turn to take a look at how Southfield does for violent crimes specifically, and then how it does for property crimes. This is important because the overall crime rate can be further illuminated by understanding if violent crime or property crimes (or both) are the major contributors to the general rate of crime in Southfield.
For Southfield, we found that the violent crime rate is one of the highest in the nation, across communities of all sizes (both large and small). Violent offenses tracked included forcible rape, murder and non-negligent manslaughter, armed robbery, and aggravated assault, including assault with a deadly weapon. According to NeighborhoodScout's analysis of FBI reported crime data, your chance of becoming a victim of one of these crimes in Southfield is one in 180.
NeighborhoodScout's analysis also reveals that Southfield's rate for property crime is 39 per one thousand population. This makes Southfield a place where there is an above average chance of becoming a victim of a property crime, when compared to all other communities in America of all population sizes. Property crimes are motor vehicle theft, arson, larceny, and burglary. Your chance of becoming a victim of any of these crimes in Southfield is one in 26.
Importantly, we found that Southfield has one of the highest rates of motor vehicle theft in the nation according to our analysis of FBI crime data. This is compared to communities of all sizes, from the smallest to the largest. In fact, your chance of getting your car stolen if you live in Southfield is one in 175.

Last edited by Yac; 09-13-2012 at 02:13 AM..

Old 09-12-2012, 09:51 AM

283 posts, read 368,942 times
Are East Asians a minority? How about Jews? And how about Asian Indians?

Old 09-12-2012, 09:56 AM

Acrually, that depends on what country you're in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit