Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 02:44 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,254,630 times

Advertisements

New Center Detroit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - "adjacent to Midtown, boundaries include 94 to the south" - I'm shocked =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 02:47 PM

465 posts, read 868,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
Saying Midtown and Birmingham's murder rate is the same is VERY, VERY different than saying their overall crime rate is the same.
Aha, so now the claim has been proven false, and the goalposts are moved.

You want to look at regular crime? There are dozens of shootings in Midtown, and in every part of Midtown. There are no shootings most years in Birmingham.

How about robberies? There were 22 robberies on the Wayne State campus alone last year. There were 7 in all of Birmingham, which is far larger than the Wayne State campus.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
New Center Detroit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - "adjacent to Midtown, boundaries include 94 to the south" - I'm shocked =)
Yes, shocking that you continue to claim that the actual Detroit Midtown Alliance isn't aware of its own boundaires, and have now resorted to citing Wikipedia, which anyone can edit.

And you still haven't found an excuse for the two murders directly in the Wayne State area. I guess we should shrink Midtown to only cover the Modern Art wing of the DIA, just to be sure...

Old 03-13-2013, 02:53 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,243,012 times
According to wiki:

"Midtown Detroit is a mixed-use area containing a business district, cultural center, university, and residential neighborhoods located along the east and west side of Woodward Avenue between Downtown Detroit and the New Center. The community area of neighborhoods is bounded by the Chrysler Freeway (I-75) on the east, the Lodge Freeway (M-10) on the west, the Edsel Ford Freeway (I-94) on the north, and the Fisher Freeway (I-75) on the south.[1] The vibrant area includes several historic districts, Detroit Medical Center, and Wayne State University."

"The current boundaries of Midtown were also delineated when the interstate freeways through Detroit were built, particularly the Chrysler Freeway (I-75) on the east, the Lodge Freeway (M-10) on the west, the Edsel Ford Freeway (I-94) on the north, and the Fisher Freeway (I-75) on the south. The Chrysler followed the course of Hastings Street, the center of African-American life in Detroit at the time. To house displaced residents, the Brewster-Douglass Housing Projects were built in the far west of the Midtown area, near the Chrysler and what once had been the thriving Hastings Street community."

Old 03-13-2013, 02:58 PM

In many cities neighborhoods have no "official" boundaries... why would they? But they might have official community areas.

In that instance it is generally left up to conventional wisdom/popular opinion to define the boundaries of specific neighborhoods.

I don't know the answer to this question in particular but if you look at different maps of "Midtown" used by the paper, etc., you will see them stretching the boundaries past the freeways.

Probably because it is not really an issue until an argument like this comes up.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
Probably because it is not really an issue until an argument like this comes up.
But, in this specific case, there's not much to argue.

Midtown does have officially defined boundaries per the Midtown Alliance. And, whatever definition you use, the original claim that "Midtown is as safe as Birmingham" is ridiculous.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:55 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,571,726 times
Much safer

Old 03-13-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Much safer
LOL... get back to Chicago!

Old 08-17-2015, 12:49 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,254,630 times
Wayne State (in Midtown) ranked in the top 50 safest universities in the entire country. WSUPD does not mess around...

Wayne State among top 50 safest college campuses in nation | The Michigan Chronicle

Old 08-17-2015, 02:18 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,846,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
Wayne State (in Midtown) ranked in the top 50 safest universities in the entire country. WSUPD does not mess around...

Wayne State among top 50 safest college campuses in nation | The Michigan Chronicle
Oh no! SAFE!?!? Not in big bad DETROIT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit