Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 10:23 AM

15 posts, read 67,759 times

Advertisements

Warren is a city that makes the transition from industrial 8 Mile/Detroit, to the suburban sprawl that is most of Macomb (and Oakland) County. Warren is far more industrial towards the south, and far more subdivision and traffic jam oriented to the north. Warren's neighbor, Sterling Heights is the epitome of uncontrolled sprawl, unplanned development, and drudgery. At least Warren has a little character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 11:53 AM

61 posts, read 234,300 times
They don't call it "White Trash Warren" for nothing. Look into Ferndale or Farmington Hills.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:38 PM

88 posts, read 343,774 times
upper white trash...........hahahahahaha......thats great

Old 03-29-2008, 10:30 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjefftrain View Post
upper white trash...........hahahahahaha......thats great
I guess they have a Beemer and a Volvo up on blocks in the yard .

Old 03-29-2008, 10:43 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,144,186 times
^Nah... I just don't have a couch on my front porch, and keep my lawnmower in the garage instead of in my back yard.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:31 PM

28 posts, read 85,507 times
Ron, my dad's worked at TACOM his entire life and I grew up in the great city of Warren.

You don't indicate where you're moving from, so there's no real point of reference to compare the area to...or if you care about schools, house prices (maybe you'll rent), what you want/need nearby, so I'll just state a general opinion:

As the first respondent said, it's a middle-class suburb, and it could probably win some sort of award for The Most Middle-Class City In America. It's generally safe, pleasant, and maybe the most uninteresting suburb in the entire Midwest. Ah, for the heydays of Universal Mall.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:44 AM

1 posts, read 3,218 times
Hi all
I found this thread searching around, I'm also moving to the Warren, MI area to work at TACOM. I would like to know if anyone can offer some advice on where to live rent or possibly buy (not so sure yet as to whether I want purchase a house or not since I will be there no longer than 3 years), anyway any advice will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

It is just the wife and I, kids out of the house already, so schools are not a priority.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:57 PM

3 posts, read 7,094 times
I currently live in Warren in the area of Ryan between 11 and 12 mile and find the area to be...ok. It's certainly nothing fancy but it is a safer area than further south. My husband used to work at Tacom and it was a short 5 minute drive to work for him each day. We are looking to move because crime is slowly moving its way up from the south and the area is becoming more undesirable. The area I live in is pretty much a few blocks of fast food restaurants, liquor stores, supermarkets and drugstores surrounded by chain link fences and freeways. In other words, it's pretty much an urbanized ugly dump. If you want scenic, I would look elsewhere.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:41 PM

205 posts, read 653,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief MG View Post
Hi all
I found this thread searching around, I'm also moving to the Warren, MI area to work at TACOM. I would like to know if anyone can offer some advice on where to live rent or possibly buy (not so sure yet as to whether I want purchase a house or not since I will be there no longer than 3 years), anyway any advice will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

It is just the wife and I, kids out of the house already, so schools are not a priority.
I don't see Michigan's housing market turning around in three years so unless you plan on getting a house you can upgrade and flip for profit I'd just rent. There are so many rentals in the metro Detroit area now you can live just about anywhere. Keep in mind your commute, metro Detroit is sprawled out and the freeway system is not all that great. Don't bother looking in Warren, its kind of a dump in my opinion. I'd look for a waterfront rental in St. Clair Shores or something in the Grosse Pointes. Good luck and enjoy Michigan!

Old 01-28-2011, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,618 times
I have lived in the metro detroit area all my life. My husband works for TACOM. We live in a northern suburb. You may want to look in north - such as Sterling Heights, Utica, Washington, Shelby Twp, and Macomb. You could also try East of Tacom location - Roseville, Fraser, St. Clair Shores, Clinton Township, Mount Clemens and New Baltimore. (New baltimore, Mount Clemens and St. Clair Shores) are waterfront (some areas a bit more pricy). All of these areas have their own dynamics.....all middle class white and blue collar and alot of independant business owners live in these areas. It all depends on what you want to spend and what lifestyle you want.
My husband and I just move and we are putting your house up for sale if anyone is looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit