Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 04:38 AM

26 posts, read 170,353 times

Advertisements

Any ideas what the area is like? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 01:38 PM

106 posts, read 535,718 times
Do you mean the city of Warren or the Detroit Metro area? I'm assuming you're talking about Warren, so I'll tell you about that. It's a primarily middle-class suburb built from the 1950's to the 1970's. It's safe, clean and it has affordable housing in established neighborhoods. It's home to many centers of employment, and the schools are pretty good, although the Warren Woods school district is better than the Warren consolidated.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:31 PM

999 posts, read 4,526,781 times
The city of Warren has been losing population more rapidly than a lot of other suburbs. There are plenty of nice areas in various suburbs in the area that are convenient to TACOM. Personally, I wouldn't choose Warren though.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:36 PM

261 posts, read 621,556 times
Warren? It's ok.

I would take a look at Farmington Hills.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:02 PM

1 posts, read 9,574 times
Smile tacom

my hubby works there. we live in warren. There are nice areas in warren and there are bad areas. Talk with personnel if you get hired. If you are relocating from rock island you have 30 days to find a place. Go to the city building or chamber of commerce and ask about the neighborhoods.

hope this helps.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:03 AM

262 posts, read 787,918 times
Ron, Warren is fine you'll have all kinds of houses to choose from. If you look at all of SE Michigan we have seen over 35,000 people leave Wayne county in the past year also Macomb and Oakland counties have had a lot of people move out cause of the HIGH TAXES and NO JOBS. When it comes to house prices you can pretty much name your price, just find someone who wants out of Michigan and you'll find a good deal. all areas around SE michigan are down even tho most people think their houses should sell for top dollar. It's funny how people think in this area.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:06 PM

937 posts, read 2,833,437 times
Depends on the area of Warren. South Warren, stay away. Northern Warren is cool, and neighboring Fraser would be a better alternative.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:13 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,142,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
South Warren, stay away.
Ouch.

I disagree with this. South Warren has met my needs and been everything I had hoped it would be when I bought my house there a few years ago (just off Van Dyke, between 8 & 9 Mile). I found an inexpensive house in good shape that needed very little work and has held up well. My property taxes are much lower than they would've been in a similar city in Oakland County. I don't have problems with my neighbors. I haven't seen any crime. I leave my home unattended for months at a time sometimes and don't even bother to lock my garage. Haven't had a single problem. Within walking distance of my house are several restaurants (nothing special - mainly fast food and diners, one Thai place), a library, drug store/pharmacies, a grocery store, Detroit Outfitters (a little gem of a store that's great for buying work clothes and Made In Detroit gear), and a little neighborhood park.

Now. It ain't fancy. I have no idea about schools, and don't care. If you need Starbucks, look elsewhere. This is more of a Dunkin' Donuts kind of city -- with the occasional trip to Tim Horton's for those special occasions.

I like to think of myself as "upper white trash".
But really, depending on what you're looking for, South Warren can be be just what the doctor ordered. As long as I stay in Michigan, that's where I'll be.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:33 AM

695 posts, read 3,409,536 times
North Warren is cold and dull to me, same as Sterling Heights or anywhere else. South Warren has some cooler old houses and streets. I love the street names in south Warren and Center Line. Lots of automobile name.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:46 PM

44 posts, read 126,648 times
Timm.......I love your attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit