Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 10:05 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Why? The weather?
I believe Chicago is his dream city. So I doubt it's the weather.

I saw this on another website earlier today called "DetroitYes". I find it hard to believe that 40% will leave in 5 years. 25% left in the last 10 years and this was when a whole lot of crap was going on with the auto industry and sh*t. Unless were headed for another great recession, I doubt it's going to lost 80% of it's current population by 2020. Many people think Detroit has pretty much bottomed out at 700,000 (or near it). There is actually some studies saying Detroit's population has slowed. I'm a little too lazy right now to find some links but it would make since since the auto industry is picking back up. However, rather you believe the population trend or not, Detroit has a very serious problem on it's hands and most of it points right back to the city government. We need real leadership that takes our issues seriously and we need unity with the rest of the state to help get it's main city back. It's pretty obvious the city is in real trouble (but what else is new). All I know is people have been complaining about Detroit for decades and it has done absolutely nothing to help the city at all. I can not be the only person in the state of MI that is tired of the blame game and finger pointing and nothing getting done. I am sick of hearing the BS that goes on in Detroit politics. Moving would be the easy way out and is something I will never do. And I will just become part of the problem. We really need to hold these idiot leaders accountable for their circus acts. Not only them but other people who are wrong doing in the city of Detroit making the COL worse for citizens. I don't care if we get cops all the way from Windsor to help. We need to crack down in the neighborhoods where thugs are running wild acting a damn fool. If a man wants to rob and beat up old ladies, he should get a hard sentence that matches the age (for example a man robs a 65 year old, his sentence is up to 65 years). These people run around committing crimes because they know they can get away with it half the time. Start putting fear into these criminals and clean these streets up. Maybe old NYC leaders can help, they seem to have cleaned their city up quite nicely from a few decades ago. I'm just pointing out, we need someone not afraid to go to drastic measures to help being Detroit back which starts with the COL of the citizens of Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 11:29 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
1. Chicago sees fewer cloudy days than Detroit since it's west of Lake Michigan. Just about every city in the Midwestern except maybe Cleveland does. I can't stand a lot of cloudy days (especially when it's blended with Detroit's blight). I love Midwestern weather otherwise. So any place immediately downwind of the Great Lakes or in the Pacific Northwest is out of the question, quality of life or socio-economic issues notwithstanding.

2. The poll consisted of about 800 Detroiters across the city. Out of the 800 polled, 50% said the would definitely consider living in other city, while 66% said they don't expect the city to improve. It's not a perfect poll, but it does gives you an idea of how majority of Detroiters who actually reside in the city (and hae not jsut visited for a Tigers or Red Wings game) feel about their quality of lives.

3. I personally think, With the exception of maybe EEV, Indian Village, Berry Subdivision and West Village, ALL of the east side is too far gone to be salvaged. I can't imagine any type of comeback fast enough to save whatever's left.

4. It's a matter of perspective, but IMO life is way too short for anyone to force themselves to stay anywhere they're not happy when the grass is, for certain, greener on the other side. It's always tough leaving behind the place you grew up, but if you don't see the better days returning, then sometimes you just have to move on.

Detroit's problems are way too deep and structural to simply "apply drastic changes", and the only solutions I think that would BEGIN to fix Detroit's problems (regionalization, Chapter 9 bankruptcy) aren't happening. You can't cut the police and fire budget and not expect crime to increase further or emergency response times to decrease further. You can't close schools, cut teacher's wages, increase class sizes to 40-60 students per class and expect the quality of education to increase. Yet, at the same time, there is no more money to pay for these things either.

The majority of Detroiters simply want the 1st world quality of life they're entitled to. Citizens in no other 1st world MAJOR city has had to contend with the population decline Detroiters have had to. Citizens in no other 1st world MAJOR city think it's normal to wait 30 minutes or longer for a bus or for the police to respond to their calls. Detroiters shouldn't have to accept that either.

Many Detroiters also want to get away from the toxic mindset that created these problems in the first place, why some simply just move out-of-state. It's not about taking the easy way out. Sometimes you just have to check your pride at the door, see the reality of the situation and move on.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:13 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
I believe Chicago is his dream city. So I doubt it's the weather.

I saw this on another website earlier today called "DetroitYes". I find it hard to believe that 40% will leave in 5 years. 25% left in the last 10 years and this was when a whole lot of crap was going on with the auto industry and sh*t. Unless were headed for another great recession, I doubt it's going to lost 80% of it's current population by 2020. Many people think Detroit has pretty much bottomed out at 700,000 (or near it). There is actually some studies saying Detroit's population has slowed. I'm a little too lazy right now to find some links but it would make since since the auto industry is picking back up. However, rather you believe the population trend or not, Detroit has a very serious problem on it's hands and most of it points right back to the city government. We need real leadership that takes our issues seriously and we need unity with the rest of the state to help get it's main city back. It's pretty obvious the city is in real trouble (but what else is new). All I know is people have been complaining about Detroit for decades and it has done absolutely nothing to help the city at all. I can not be the only person in the state of MI that is tired of the blame game and finger pointing and nothing getting done. I am sick of hearing the BS that goes on in Detroit politics. Moving would be the easy way out and is something I will never do. And I will just become part of the problem. We really need to hold these idiot leaders accountable for their circus acts. Not only them but other people who are wrong doing in the city of Detroit making the COL worse for citizens. I don't care if we get cops all the way from Windsor to help. We need to crack down in the neighborhoods where thugs are running wild acting a damn fool. If a man wants to rob and beat up old ladies, he should get a hard sentence that matches the age (for example a man robs a 65 year old, his sentence is up to 65 years). These people run around committing crimes because they know they can get away with it half the time. Start putting fear into these criminals and clean these streets up. Maybe old NYC leaders can help, they seem to have cleaned their city up quite nicely from a few decades ago. I'm just pointing out, we need someone not afraid to go to drastic measures to help being Detroit back which starts with the COL of the citizens of Detroit.
One of the things that will add to the decline of Detroit is an article I read on MSNBC day before yesterday. Detroit police are telling people to "enter the city at your own risk", because the city already has the highest crime rate, and the city is also cutting back, substantially, on the police force. It said they are already short-handed, and it's going to get worse in the near future. Not exactly the way to induce folks to visit or move there, to think that if they get mugged (or worse), there may not even be an officer to take the report, much less investigate. And, for the residents, even having the auto industry making a come-back won't be a lot of incentive, if someone with a good job sees themselves and potentially in the running for "wealthiest person in the cemetery", to remain in or around the city. Even living in the suburbs, having to work in the city means entering the "war zone" on a daily basis. Not very encouraging for people to remain.

But, I'm wondering just how many of America's cities are following somewhere close behind Detroit. Don't remember just where it was, but one city did away with their own police force and are not depending on the county for enforcement. Don't know if that's an option for Detroit or not. But, do not expect high crime and reduced enforcement to bring economic recovery to the city.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:34 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
THe answer to much of Detroits problems are pretty clear. They need to concentrate the population and abandon the rest of the city. However getting people to agree o do that is the problem. IN fact it may be impossible.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:54 PM

21,135 posts, read 19,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
THe answer to much of Detroits problems are pretty clear. They need to concentrate the population and abandon the rest of the city. However getting people to agree o do that is the problem. IN fact it may be impossible.
But will the conditions be any better in the concentrated areas? Seems to me a lot of effort will be wasted only to have the problem reappear.

I kind of like the idea that I heard about a while ago (State of the City Address?) about giving abandoned property to the adjacent property owners that are still present. The people who have stuck around could become "land rich" so to speak. Not that it would matter much with low and declining property values, but better than just abandoning large areas altogether.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
But, I'm wondering just how many of America's cities are following somewhere close behind Detroit. Don't remember just where it was, but one city did away with their own police force and are not depending on the county for enforcement. Don't know if that's an option for Detroit or not. But, do not expect high crime and reduced enforcement to bring economic recovery to the city.
Major cities? Not many (even the usual suspects, Cleveland and St. Louis, are doing marginally better), which is why Detroit's situation is so unique.

You're referring to CAmden, but it is on a completely different level than Detroit (more comparable to Gary, IN).

Old 10-16-2012, 11:04 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
But will the conditions be any better in the concentrated areas? Seems to me a lot of effort will be wasted only to have the problem reappear.

I kind of like the idea that I heard about a while ago (State of the City Address?) about giving abandoned property to the adjacent property owners that are still present. The people who have stuck around could become "land rich" so to speak. Not that it would matter much with low and declining property values, but better than just abandoning large areas altogether.
The conditions are phenominally better in the concentrated parts of Detroit. Areas like Mid-town, university, North Rosedale Park, have reasonably low crime rates. WHen people are concentrated, police can concentrate reources and the concentration of people can help report and deter crime.

I am not sure whay people would wnat abandoned properties. Most of them are liabilities rather than assets.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:22 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,610,481 times
Misleading title. "I would leave" isn't exactly the same thing as "I'm expecting to leave". A lot of the 40% aren't going anywhere.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:37 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times
Quote:
That woman needs to change the battery in her smoke detector. (beep...beep...beep...)

I'm surprised the numbers aren't higher, although this is a more accurate measure:

I bet if you moved them out to the suburbs for a month and then asked them if they want to return to Detroit, zero would choose to return. Many feel so hopelessly trapped or don't realize how much nicer it is outside of Detroit.
Is it me or Detriot seem to be the new New Orleans after Katrina hitt?

Old 10-27-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Misleading title.
I didn't say anything about "I would leave" in the title, so my title's fine.

People expect to do a lot of things, but it is true that things don't always go as expected. Still, the fact that 40% WANT to leave the city is bad enough. What that tells me is there are simply a ton of Detroiters who feel they've been sentenced to damnation (are stuck). It is a shame that the city has to depend on these people being stuck for them to remain in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit