Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 07:22 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
And how do you know that without a shadow of a doubt?

That conclusion is just as silly as saying no black people live in Howell.

I see black people in Howell and Brighton!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 03:39 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,566,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I see black people in Howell and Brighton!
How often?

Old 11-13-2012, 06:34 PM

21,131 posts, read 19,707,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
How often?
Every time there is a lynching.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:08 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
How often?
Once or twice a week...just saw a new one just yesterday.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:51 PM

120 posts, read 265,221 times
Apologies in advance for sounding naive, but a while ago I lived in a lower rent building in downtown Minneapolis that was becoming Section 8, and rapidly went downhill. We had a security guard who was like RoboCop, great big Italian girl who was like a brick wall. She was going to the community college downtown, and through her work as a security guard and being able to confront people that absolutely nobody else would confront, the Minneapolis Police wanted her so badly that they paid half of her tuition at the city college's police academy in exchange for (I'm not sure how many years) working for them after graduation. It seems logical to find young people who want to stay in the city, who are from there, who demonstrate an ability to be confrontational - but street smart - be aware of what's going on in the problem areas and chances are you'll have someone who will be with you a while.
The problem today is, so many kids have lived such sheltered lives that many have never even seen a physical confrontation in person - all their experience has either been watching television or photos on the internet. I've heard that a lot of these kids that go through the police programs do very well in their studies, but can't make it a day on the job. If that's true then I worry about the future of our law enforcement.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:16 PM

70 posts, read 145,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto416 View Post
I've heard that a lot of these kids that go through the police programs do very well in their studies, but can't make it a day on the job. If that's true then I worry about the future of our law enforcement.
Speaking from experience, I wouldn't worry about that. That is why drill instructors get in recruit's faces at police academies and stress them out by yelling and making absurd rules. It's usually there that the people that can't handle confrontation get weeded out from the bunch. Lots of people criticize police academies on the internet by saying things like "Why are they being so hard on the recruits?? This isn't the military." It's to see if they will keep composure and still get stuff done while being yelled and cursed at under stressful circumstances.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:30 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,741,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
I took the job after my unemployment ran out, it was a 60 mile commute (each way). I was desperate for work at the time & absolutely needed the money, but after being shot at, your priorities change. In that regard, this economy is no different. You don't want cops that run & that's what you'll get if the only redeeming factor for the job is a paycheck. If the pay is too low, you'll effectively be running a training academy for the benefit of the other departments in the area.
Your situation is non-sequitor to where the DPD stand.

The fact of the matter is the reason the city of Detroit and the state of Michigan were able to get away with (illegally) cutting their wages and benefits so low is because they know the police, by and large, have nowhere else to go with hiring freezes in place within most municipalities and the fact that if they were to walk off the job, they're easily replaceable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit