Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2012, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,096 times

Advertisements

Hi, just would like the collective ideas of everyone here. We have a HUD/Homepath home we are interested in that we know has some serious issues.

The home is at 31566 E Stonewood Ct Farmington Hills, MI. So it's in a cold weather area, and that's part of the issue. It has been empty for well over a year, and it was improperly winterized and has a lot of broken pipes inside the walls, and potentially inside/under the concrete floors. Both potable water, and hot water heat pipes. This will likely cost well over $20,000 to repair.

Additionally it has a collapsed broken concrete garage floor, aging HVAC, older windows and roof, and questionable electric service/wiring. A lot of issues, but we like it.

1) Has anyone ever had any luck with getting HUD/Homepath to make repairs to such a home?

2) If not repairs, will they make selling price reductions?

3) Finally, has anyone ever used the Homepath Renovation financing, and what were your experiences?

Thanks,
JC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 05:23 PM

11 posts, read 15,759 times
I have a few friends who are real estate agents, so most of what I present here should mirror their experience and knowledge:

HUD homes are always sold "as-is" unless otherwise specified, which leaves you to foot the bill for the renovations. Also, if it is bank owned (which I believe most are), you may or may not be able to talk down the price. Some banks will be more firm than others.

You can find a little more (simplified) info here: How To Buy a HUD Home - Buying HUD Foreclosures

Old 11-05-2012, 01:49 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartyrules View Post
Hi, just would like the collective ideas of everyone here. We have a HUD/Homepath home we are interested in that we know has some serious issues.

The home is at 31566 E Stonewood Ct Farmington Hills, MI. So it's in a cold weather area, and that's part of the issue. It has been empty for well over a year, and it was improperly winterized and has a lot of broken pipes inside the walls, and potentially inside/under the concrete floors. Both potable water, and hot water heat pipes. This will likely cost well over $20,000 to repair.

Additionally it has a collapsed broken concrete garage floor, aging HVAC, older windows and roof, and questionable electric service/wiring. A lot of issues, but we like it.

1) Has anyone ever had any luck with getting HUD/Homepath to make repairs to such a home?

2) If not repairs, will they make selling price reductions?

3) Finally, has anyone ever used the Homepath Renovation financing, and what were your experiences?

Thanks,
JC
HUD is a government owned home. Homepath is a type of loan offered by Fannie Mae on their properties. I looked it up and it's is owned by Fannie Mae and not HUD.

How do you know there are plumbing issues? You should find a loan officer who does Fannie Mae Homepath renovation mortgages and see if you can get any plumbing repairs fixed. I have had buyers use Homepath and it's worked out well. No appraisal fee and the closing costs are a little lower than FHA. You can DM me if you have any more specific questions.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:12 AM

55 posts, read 283,628 times
In my experience hud/homepath will not make repairs. HUD however will require you to escrow the money for the repair, I believe homepath as well. In theory their home prices are already 'adjusted' for the repairs needed. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit