Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 08:40 AM

58 posts, read 157,613 times

Advertisements

How about Huntington Woods and certainly there is plenty of new lofts in the downtown, riverfront that would be excellent if you're single. I live in Bloomfield Hills and work in Birmingham and truthfully, if I had a choice I'd live downtown--our communities are not well integrated here.

Vicki
vh@seligmanherrod.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 03:19 PM

186 posts, read 585,222 times
I know the perfect place for you, my exclusive neighborhood in Detroit, Sherwood Forest, and it's even more exclusive neighbor, Palmer Woods, filled with diverse families in a beautiful neighborhood built for the upper class and he upper middle class with black, white, and hispanic, and young familes. Check out the website, sherwoodforestdetroit.org and PalmerWoods.org.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docmts2 View Post
I'm a new family med doc (finishing residency in June, 2008) who's moving to metro detroit in less than a year and I need some help on finding housing. Let me give a little background to explain my situation.
I'm originally from Chicago and I love large metro areas. I went to med school in the south and found myself doing my residency there, too. I chose a rural residency program because I think rural programs make better family physicians, but the racism in the small city south is unbearable. That's saying a lot for a guy from Chicago (a city that competes with Boston for the most segregated city in America). Anyway, as a Black man I know racism well and frankly, I prefer northern racism as the better of the two evils (northern vs. southern racism).
I'm looking to move back to the midwest and I would have gone back to the Chi but the housing costs there are obscene. On the other hand, the metro Detroit area has everything I'm looking for; a large metro population, lots of diversity, countless things to do and a housing market that's built for buyers. I like that the area is politically progressive like Chicago, too. My problem is that I have no clue where to look for a home in metro Detroit.
I've worked damned hard to get where I am and I want to live in a community that will fit my income, but I also want to live in a community where I'll feel comfortable. Like many African Americans, I'm not racist but out of necessity I'm constantly on guard against all the people in this country who are racist. I'd like to live in an ethnically diverse community within the metro area but if that's not possible, I have much love for my people and can easily settle down in an upper middle-class African American neighborhood, too. Specifically, I'm looking for a modern two story home at 3000+ sq. ft., four+ bedrooms and three car garage in a very nice neighborhood. Any ideas as to where I should look? The more in put the better. Thanks in advance. docmts2
I'm from chicago and temp. living in detroit. chicago has changed, a very nice location for doctors isn't to far from chicago: lake county, Ill. some part are very quiet living with a very good price on homes due to the market. detroit and chicago do need your services, desperately. I PRAY JAH GOD BLESS YOUR DECISION.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit