Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2013, 03:26 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times

Advertisements

I am amazed they thing Cobo will be ready for the 2013 auto show. I have not driven through the river side in a few days, so I will go look at it, but my last time through @ Christmas, it did nto appear possible in any way it could be ready. THe news report says it will be and the show will be 30% bigger than next year. I hope they bring shoe horns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 03:34 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,273,537 times
Not everything is expected to be done by the show. I think the picture below is pretty good. The "atrium" in the middle is in place (i.e. structure/glass) and that should be done as that's where the car/truck of the year will be. The right hand side of the picture (i.e. old Cobo arena) won't be done by the auto show - that's the new ballroom. You've been more recently than I - I was at Cobo for the Turkey Trot at Thanksgiving - runner pickup was in Michigan Hall and to my eye - I couldn't tell anything had been updated anywhere in the past few years. But given it's largely concrete/glass (a la GM Ren Cen Wintergarden) - once all the dust has been cleared etc - hopefully will be nice. I signed up for the 5K Auto Show Shuffle before the Auto Show on Sat 19th - so can report back with pics then.

Auto Show Shuffle - Home

Detroit auto show will feature new rides, a new Cobo | Business | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Old 01-08-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
Not everything is expected to be done by the show. I think the picture below is pretty good. The "atrium" in the middle is in place (i.e. structure/glass) and that should be done as that's where the car/truck of the year will be. The right hand side of the picture (i.e. old Cobo arena) won't be done by the auto show - that's the new ballroom. You've been more recently than I - I was at Cobo for the Turkey Trot at Thanksgiving - runner pickup was in Michigan Hall and to my eye - I couldn't tell anything had been updated anywhere in the past few years. But given it's largely concrete/glass (a la GM Ren Cen Wintergarden) - once all the dust has been cleared etc - hopefully will be nice. I signed up for the 5K Auto Show Shuffle before the Auto Show on Sat 19th - so can report back with pics then.

Auto Show Shuffle - Home

Detroit auto show will feature new rides, a new Cobo | Business | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

If it is a Kia, they can just put it in the basement, thank you very much.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:17 PM

21,139 posts, read 19,714,475 times
That's what large blue curtains are for.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:53 AM

THe artium is pretty well done. THey are basically cleaning up and punching it out. The round part of the building whatever it is called is nowhere close to done. Obviously, that part will not be used. It is just iron beams. I could not see the top of the part that goes over atwater. Not sure if any of that is even started.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:31 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,273,537 times
Click through the pics until the atrium. I think it's quite stunning. Will look even better once decorated/polished.

Yay! A Sneak Peak of Cobo Center Gearing Up for the Auto Show - Press Pass - Curbed Detroit

Old 01-15-2013, 04:27 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,481,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
THe artium is pretty well done. THey are basically cleaning up and punching it out. The round part of the building whatever it is called is nowhere close to done. Obviously, that part will not be used. It is just iron beams. I could not see the top of the part that goes over atwater. Not sure if any of that is even started.
The round part is/was(?) Cobo Arena....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit