Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 12:46 AM

52 posts, read 270,131 times

Advertisements

liberal and accepting suburbs/places:

Royal Oak and Ferndale (you'd probably fit in perfectly, also great nightlife and an array of different people)
Any of the near downriver communities
Ann Arbor (only drawback is that its a little pricier)

Places to avoid:

absolutely NO to Livonia, as it is one of the most intolerable places in SE Michigan.
any other homogenous sprawlburb is probably a 'no' as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 01:41 AM

999 posts, read 4,527,144 times
I sure hear a lot of negative things about Livonia based only on the fact that lots of white people live there. Have any objective info. to back that assertion up?

Old 11-26-2007, 09:59 PM

1 posts, read 4,422 times
Question need help

hello
i just read your info and i am a interracial couple my hubby is white and i am mixed our son in 75/25 white/black we live near Livionia and northville
It's about 10 mins from were we live canton very good area and great schools and you have diversity and there are quite a few mixed couples here in canton also on that note commerce really dont care for mixed couples my husband and i had a couple of experiences there..
well hope this helped

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBAWRIGHT View Post
Hello, My family is looking to relocate to Detroit from Washington state. We are a interracial couple ( I am white and husband is black). We have a mixed child and one on the way. We are looking in the suburbs of Detroit. Livonia, Northville, Commerce etc... Recently we made a visit there. To my surprise I noticed while walking through the malls, there were no mixed couples. Not only did I notice that but people seemed to be surprised to see us. I have heard that Detroit is still a highly segregated city but I did not expect the "looks" we got from other races. I am concerned for my children to be raised in such place were they will struggle to fit in. Washington is very excepting to interracial couples. If any one can help me out in any way about this subject please do......

Old 11-26-2007, 11:15 PM

265 posts, read 1,190,614 times
Clawson is a very family friendly, affordable middle-class suburb of Detroit with extremely neighborly people who are accepting of everyone. A young interracial couple lives on my street in Clawson and as far as I can tell, no one thinks a thing of it. I am really quite surprised you got looks on your recent trip. Not everyone is like that at all!

Old 11-27-2007, 11:19 AM

41 posts, read 183,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by and the View Post
I sure hear a lot of negative things about Livonia based only on the fact that lots of white people live there. Have any objective info. to back that assertion up?
Isn't it amazing how someone is offended by the perception of he's city...I can back it up by actually spending time there..Unlike you who like to downgrade the city of Detroit by perception as well...Its not fun WHEN ITS YOUR CITY WHO IS BEING DUMPED ON...

Old 11-27-2007, 01:42 PM

999 posts, read 4,527,144 times
Quote:
Isn't it amazing how someone is offended by the perception of he's city...I can back it up by actually spending time there..Unlike you who like to downgrade the city of Detroit by perception as well...Its not fun WHEN ITS YOUR CITY WHO IS BEING DUMPED ON...
I lived in Detroit for a long time, number one. Number two, cut and paste one post where I said Detroit sucks because there are so many black people who live there. Also, I believe I offered quite a bit of analysis into why Detroit generally sucks other than the race of the majority of its residents.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:48 PM

5 posts, read 23,340 times
I would have to disagree with Mary on Clawson's acceptance of a bi-racial couple. It is still very conservative in mindsight with a realtively older community base. My recommendation would be to research less conservative towns of Ann Arbor or Ferndale.

Best of luck!

Old 11-22-2009, 09:35 PM

3 posts, read 12,025 times
I live in Sterling Heights, MI and I am a black woman, and my husband is white. We don't have any problems here and its a very safe area. Its really hard in Michigan being in a interracial relationship here. Hope you find something soon and welcome...

Old 11-23-2009, 06:33 AM

266 posts, read 852,961 times
When I grew up in Troy there were very few blacks BUT one of my close friends was mixed; white mom and black dad. That was 20 yrs ago and nobody treated him differently, unless the fact that everyone adored him is "different" - of course he was super nice and really good looking, went on to become a model and everything!

I agree that you would not get any weird looks in Royal Oak either, but that's quite a ways away from where you're looking so I'm thinking your commute might be a problem. Where is work going to be?

Old 11-23-2009, 07:18 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,986,437 times
You picked probably three of the "whitest" areas to visit. I live in Ypsilanti Twp. (it is near Ann Arbor) and it seems to be quite diverse as is Ann Arbor. Also like others have mentioned Southfield, Farmington Hills, Ferndale would all probably work for you as well.
Good luck and welcome to Michigan!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit