Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 10:05 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,526,415 times

Advertisements

Detroit proper is out of the question until such time as crime, blight, poor schools, and general social dysfunction is sorted out. The Pointes are too far away, and in my estimation, they don't really offer an impressive quasi-urban experience. I've never visited either Rochester or Birmingham, but might one or both of them fit the bill? I expect that Ann Arbor would offer what I'm looking for, but close to the core, property prices are quite high there and it's a longer drive to and from Auburn Hills than I'd like to make on a near-daily basis.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 10:18 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,943,454 times
When you say quasi-urban environment what elements in particular?

Are you looking for single-family homes with good schools in a quasi-urban environment?
Are you looking for condo/multi-family, and/or don't care or need schools?

If you want the young-professional, social, nightlife, quasi-urban environment but are looking at condo or apartment living, and don't need schools then yes, you would be looking at Midtown/Downtown Detroit.

Rochester may fit the bill, but its more less a village-esqe downtown with strong community feel in the middle of suburbia. Its a great walk-able small downtown area with dining, shops, and community events, parks, trails but not really an "urban" feel.

Birmingham is a more upscale version of Rochester, higher end restaurants. A lot more of the real and want-to-be rich crowd there.

You could also consider Berkley, Royal Oak, Ferndale, Huntington Woods corridor. While not really urban, its in the thick of things and good access to all things in downtown Detroit.
Ann Arbor to Auburn Hills is a brutal commute. Don't do it.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
When you say quasi-urban environment what elements in particular?

Are you looking for single-family homes with good schools in a quasi-urban environment?
Are you looking for condo/multi-family, and/or don't care or need schools?

If you want the young-professional, social, nightlife, quasi-urban environment but are looking at condo or apartment living, and don't need schools then yes, you would be looking at Midtown/Downtown Detroit.

Rochester may fit the bill, but its more less a village-esqe downtown with strong community feel in the middle of suburbia. Its a great walk-able small downtown area with dining, shops, and community events, parks, trails but not really an "urban" feel.

Birmingham is a more upscale version of Rochester, higher end restaurants. A lot more of the real and want-to-be rich crowd there.

You could also consider Berkley, Royal Oak, Ferndale, Huntington Woods corridor. While not really urban, its in the thick of things and good access to all things in downtown Detroit.
Ann Arbor to Auburn Hills is a brutal commute. Don't do it.
I'd like a walkable strip -- one that I can walk to easily from a home or a condo that I'd buy -- which offers a mixture of retail, restaurants, and nightlife. (I chose quasi-urban deliberately, for I don't necessarily need to surround myself with mid-rise and high-rise buildings to feel comfortable with where I live.) My fear about Rochester is that the downtown core appears to be quite small; Birmingham seems to offer a larger downtown area.

Bad schools are a bit of a deal breaker for me, I'm afraid. Not only do I prefer to avoid environments where bad schools prevail, I also prefer good schools not only for resale value, but also because I prefer to be around people who prioritize education and I'm genuinely keen to do my part to see that such communities succeed. Communities that value education and that invest in education are, in my experience, significantly better places to live.

While some people might be inclined to focus on class and privilege here, not that I care too much about either, I'm not a fancy-pants type. I just want a nice place to live which has both a pulse and good schools.

Old 11-14-2017, 11:16 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,252,037 times
I'll toss Troy out there. I have only been in the area a few times, my wife has a couple good friends who live there.

Old 11-14-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
I'll toss Troy out there. I have only been in the area a few times, my wife has a couple good friends who live there.

It doesn't have a proper downtown, though, does it? Isn't it just typical 1980s suburban sprawl?

Old 11-14-2017, 02:54 PM

8,420 posts, read 7,422,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
I'd like a walkable strip -- one that I can walk to easily from a home or a condo that I'd buy -- which offers a mixture of retail, restaurants, and nightlife. (I chose quasi-urban deliberately, for I don't necessarily need to surround myself with mid-rise and high-rise buildings to feel comfortable with where I live.) My fear about Rochester is that the downtown core appears to be quite small; Birmingham seems to offer a larger downtown area.

Bad schools are a bit of a deal breaker for me, I'm afraid. Not only do I prefer to avoid environments where bad schools prevail, I also prefer good schools not only for resale value, but also because I prefer to be around people who prioritize education and I'm genuinely keen to do my part to see that such communities succeed. Communities that value education and that invest in education are, in my experience, significantly better places to live.

While some people might be inclined to focus on class and privilege here, not that I care too much about either, I'm not a fancy-pants type. I just want a nice place to live which has both a pulse and good schools.
Birmingham. Good schools, large walkable downtown, good mix of retail and restaurant. There are single family residential homes, condos, brownstones, apartments, even two apartment/condo high-rises, either in the downtown proper or within talking distance. But it's a very expensive place to live, the land of bigfoot million dollar homes and multi-million dollar downtown luxury townhouse/condominiums. You can find something next to the downtown for about $200K, but it will be a 1BR/1BA apartment. And there's been a reported "snooty factor" to the people who live there.

Rochester. Like mentioned, it's a smaller and slightly less expensive version of Birmingham. Even has some smaller condos and apartments near the downtown area. Just don't confuse Rochester and Rochester Hills - one is a quaint rural downtown and the other is a 1980's/1990's suburb that grew up around the downtown.

Clarkston. Smaller than Rochester, same vibe, but slightly more expensive. But no apartments/condos within walking distance of the downtown area. Clarkston means buying a house, and not cheaply.

Lake Orion. Another rural town that has had suburbia grown up around it (Orion Township), but that development started the 2000's and is still going on. It was a slightly rough and redneck place, but it's going to be the next Rochester. You might even say it's been discovered by the hipster crowd. The schools are good and the real estate is cheaper than any of the above, unless if you buy a lakefront house on Lake Orion or on Long Lake, both withing walking distance of downtown.

Other places to consider, but which are farther away from Auburn Hills (30+ minute commute), are Berkley and Royal Oak. Search the forum for posts started by Geo-Aggie - I've lived there for 25+ years, but Geo has gained in a few years a much better knowledge and insight regarding Berkley and Royal Oak than I'll ever have.

Old 11-14-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Birmingham. Good schools, large walkable downtown, good mix of retail and restaurant. There are single family residential homes, condos, brownstones, apartments, even two apartment/condo high-rises, either in the downtown proper or within talking distance. But it's a very expensive place to live, the land of bigfoot million dollar homes and multi-million dollar downtown luxury townhouse/condominiums. You can find something next to the downtown for about $200K, but it will be a 1BR/1BA apartment. And there's been a reported "snooty factor" to the people who live there.

Rochester. Like mentioned, it's a smaller and slightly less expensive version of Birmingham. Even has some smaller condos and apartments near the downtown area. Just don't confuse Rochester and Rochester Hills - one is a quaint rural downtown and the other is a 1980's/1990's suburb that grew up around the downtown.

Clarkston. Smaller than Rochester, same vibe, but slightly more expensive. But no apartments/condos within walking distance of the downtown area. Clarkston means buying a house, and not cheaply.

Lake Orion. Another rural town that has had suburbia grown up around it (Orion Township), but that development started the 2000's and is still going on. It was a slightly rough and redneck place, but it's going to be the next Rochester. You might even say it's been discovered by the hipster crowd. The schools are good and the real estate is cheaper than any of the above, unless if you buy a lakefront house on Lake Orion or on Long Lake, both withing walking distance of downtown.

Other places to consider, but which are farther away from Auburn Hills (30+ minute commute), are Berkley and Royal Oak. Search the forum for posts started by Geo-Aggie - I've lived there for 25+ years, but Geo has gained in a few years a much better knowledge and insight regarding Berkley and Royal Oak than I'll ever have.

Thank you very much! All of this is exceedingly useful information.

Old 11-14-2017, 05:05 PM

202 posts, read 251,224 times
Royal Oak. Safe, lots of nightlife, always new condos going up. Just jump on I75 and go north about 25 minutes and youll be in Auburn Hills. There are also some older apartments and 2-family flats within close proximity to the bustling downtown area.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:01 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,670,019 times
I think the poster has received some really solid advice here. In OP's situation I'd probably look at Rochester (Note: Rochester City, not Rochester Hills) as I hate long commutes. Birmingham also wouldn't be bad, but comes with a certain snob factor and you need to be in a certain income tax bracket to make ends meet there. It's super nice though. Getting a little further out (20-30 minutes from Auburn Hills) Royal Oak is a great option with its relative affordability, fun walkable downtown, and nightlife. Berkley is like a more family-friendly version of Royal Oak with better schools and its own downtown, and Ferndale is a bit more single-friendly with more average quality schools and its own downtown. Also an obligatory reference to Pontiac which is very urban and deserves more love, but it admittedly has bad schools and higher crime.

If you want urban, don't bother with towns like Troy, Waterford, Shelby Township, Rochester Hills, Sterling Heights... generally stick to towns that are off Woodward or Rochester City.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:17 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,943,454 times
You need to check out Birmingham and Rochester to see which one fits your style and budget better.

They are similar in some regards but very different as well. Depends how high-end you are looking to go.

One thing I like about Rochester that Birmingham lacks in the parks & recreation.
Rochester Municipal Park, Dinosaur Hill, Bloomer Park, Paint Creek Trail, Clinton River Trail are all awesome green spaces. Plus, proximity to Stony Creek is big plus. Birmingham has nothing comparable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit