Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 12:04 PM

406 posts, read 764,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
That is becasue you have a one sided perspective. I have experienced quite a lot of racism in parts of Detroit. You can view some pretty extreme racism by watching City council meetings. Did you see where they refused to award a contract to a contractor becasue the contractor was based in Howell?

I have seen other examples where the council tells people they cannot have or do something becuase they are white. A good example is 2005 or 2006 when they told all the charites they would not process block grant applications unless at least half of their board of directors were black. Several of the charities just gave up and closed. Antoehr example I do not recall the issue, but I recall a City clowncil person telling a union guy she did not care about his position because "You do nto look like me" and then asking him how many "brothers" are in the union. To which he replied "We are all brothers in the union" and she then snorted rolled her eyes and moved on to some other issue.

Trust me, there is plenty of prejudice racism and bigotry in Detroit, in fact some of the most extreme I have seen anywhere.
I have never seen any of this, and if city clowncil is your example you should venture into Detroit more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 12:28 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,842,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
That is becasue you have a one sided perspective. I have experienced quite a lot of racism in parts of Detroit. You can view some pretty extreme racism by watching City council meetings. Did you see where they refused to award a contract to a contractor becasue the contractor was based in Howell?

I have seen other examples where the council tells people they cannot have or do something becuase they are white. A good example is 2005 or 2006 when they told all the charites they would not process block grant applications unless at least half of their board of directors were black. Several of the charities just gave up and closed. Antoehr example I do not recall the issue, but I recall a City clowncil person telling a union guy she did not care about his position because "You do nto look like me" and then asking him how many "brothers" are in the union. To which he replied "We are all brothers in the union" and she then snorted rolled her eyes and moved on to some other issue.

Trust me, there is plenty of prejudice racism and bigotry in Detroit, in fact some of the most extreme I have seen anywhere.
Wow, and people have the nerve to wonder why the city is currently in trouble from poor leadership. With all the problems in Detroit they are seriously worried about this kind of crap??? How can we ever come close to getting a decent tax base like that??? I wonder how many people thought about doing something here in Detroit but then hear about this kind of sh*t from other business owners or something. I'm surprised there aren't billboards out there saying "why deal with Detroit city clowncil and their black power BS? cut your problems in half, move your business to the suburbs where we actually appreciate all sorts of people coming in". This is why I get the feeling that Detroit is constantly held back from success by it's leaders. To be fair though, most people in Detroit don't have anything against other races and most (except for the negative people of course) would welcome anyone doing something positive in Detroit.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:42 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,504,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
Wow, and people have the nerve to wonder why the city is currently in trouble from poor leadership. With all the problems in Detroit they are seriously worried about this kind of crap??? How can we ever come close to getting a decent tax base like that??? I wonder how many people thought about doing something here in Detroit but then hear about this kind of sh*t from other business owners or something. I'm surprised there aren't billboards out there saying "why deal with Detroit city clowncil and their black power BS? cut your problems in half, move your business to the suburbs where we actually appreciate all sorts of people coming in". This is why I get the feeling that Detroit is constantly held back from success by it's leaders. To be fair though, most people in Detroit don't have anything against other races and most (except for the negative people of course) would welcome anyone doing something positive in Detroit.
Yup. Rot starts from the top. Established businesses and concerned citizens grow tired of this kind of stuff very quickly and many head for the exits if it's possible or practical to relocate elsewhere. Additionally, new businesses and people interested in relocating will often size up the political climate of an area and make the decision to avoid investing or moving there if they sense that issues like these are bubbling beneath or are at the surface.

I do not think that people appreciate just how mobile and fickle capital can be; capital does not give a rat's ass about fixing past injustices, whether real or imagined. Capital cares most about one thing: generating the highest returns possible, and it will generally prefer those places where it encounters the least hassle, risk and inconvenience to do so. And as a city suffers from disinvestment because of this phenomenon, it generally grows poorer and more dangerous. This makes it more likely that good schools and safe streets will become a problem. Then more good people flee. It's a vicious cycle.

Last edited by maclock; 02-24-2013 at 01:08 PM..

Old 02-24-2013, 08:00 PM

30,701 posts, read 79,347,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit's own View Post
I have never seen any of this, and if city clowncil is your example you should venture into Detroit more
I spend 150 - 250 days a year in Detroit. I spend more awake time in Detroit than I do at home. It might be hard to venture into Detroit more.

The councilis jsut the public face of a problem endemic to parts of Detroit. Clearly someone likes their antics - they keep re-electing them and/or electing more of the same. However you will see lot of similar examples, Just attend a town hall meeting, or any other public forum, even some churches, or hang out in a bar, sit on the PM for a while. . . Racism and bigotry are a two way problem and as someone pointed out need to be dealt with before business will return. Is it everyone? Certianly not, not even a majority on either side, but it is a vocal minority and it makes people uncomfortable. For most, it is easier to get away form it than to deal with it.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:09 PM

30,701 posts, read 79,347,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Yup. Rot starts from the top. Established businesses and concerned citizens grow tired of this kind of stuff very quickly and many head for the exits if it's possible or practical to relocate elsewhere. Additionally, new businesses and people interested in relocating will often size up the political climate of an area and make the decision to avoid investing or moving there if they sense that issues like these are bubbling beneath or are at the surface.

I do not think that people appreciate just how mobile and fickle capital can be; capital does not give a rat's ass about fixing past injustices, whether real or imagined. Capital cares most about one thing: generating the highest returns possible, and it will generally prefer those places where it encounters the least hassle, risk and inconvenience to do so. And as a city suffers from disinvestment because of this phenomenon, it generally grows poorer and more dangerous. This makes it more likely that good schools and safe streets will become a problem. Then more good people flee. It's a vicious cycle.
It can be a bit difficult to attract quality employees to a downtown business. First there is the added income tax, then there is the fear factor created by the rumor mongers, prejudice issues kept alive by televised city council meetings among other things, add in expensive parking, lack of services - especially visible in the winter. . . Unless the job pays more or is more prestigious, challenging or interesting than competitors in the burbs, the better quelified people tend to go there first.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:19 AM

4 posts, read 26,460 times
I would suggest the Woodward Corridor - Ferndale, Pleasant Ridge, Royal Oak, Birmingham. These cities tend to be more liberal, and far more diverse. I would be really surprised if you got any "looks" around that area. Ferndale is a very LGBT friendly neighborhood, so it'd be hard to raise any eyebrows around here about who you chose to marry/start a family with. These cities tend to be more urban (they each have their own walkable downtowns) if you are looking to be closer to nature, or are looking for newer houses, then you may want to try Rochester, which is a little farther north, but also more liberal than some of the suburbs that you were originally looking at.

Royal Oak, Rochester and Birmingham have good schools as well, Pleasant Ridge is in the Ferndale school district, which is okay, but nothing to write home about.

If you are going to be working west of the city (like the Livonia, Novi area), then you might want to consider, as a previous poster mentioned, Ann Arbor. It would be about half an hour commute to the Livonia area, but it's considered one of the best places in the country to live (according to multiple lists - Forbes, U.S. News and World Report and others). It's liberal, cultured, and has great schools.

Edit: I just realized this is an older post that popped back up on the list. But I'll leave my reply here in case it can be of use to someone else! :-)

Old 03-05-2013, 12:14 PM

30 posts, read 78,613 times
I would not say Royal Oak schools are good at all. Academically Royal Oak is decent but what it has in academics it lacks in administration. A good friend of mine who lives here in Ferndale sent his son to Royal Oak and pulled him out within months because of the number of fights he was involved in, in one instance he was basically robbed in the hallway (told to hand over an ipod and headphones), refused, and was assaulted over it, by the time a teacher came out to break it up the fight had already went on for several minutes, the ipod got broken in the process, the kid said he wanted to take it up with the school officer and the teacher told him to shut up and go to class. Fights and drugs run rampant in Royal Oak schools.

Ferndale, Oak Park, Hazel Park, Fitzgerald have bad academics, but at least keep their administration together and keep a safe environment. As for Rochester and Birmingham though I have nothing bad to say about them at all, I think they run good districts and the more I've been thinking about the prospect of raising a family someday the more I've been looking into those schools.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:11 PM

465 posts, read 867,434 times
Agreed; Royal Oak schools aren't particularly good. I would call them average at best.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:49 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,491,612 times
Geez, from one of the most racially chill cities in the country (I assume the OP lives around Seattle) to one of the most racially foul places in the country? Must be a real good job.
Ann Arbor may be a good idea (that's not Detroit, though) and Windsor would be real good if he had the right papers, other than that, good luck. You may really need it.
Don't think you'll get actual harassment, but, the looks like you're from outer space and cold shoulders, will be way more than anything you ever saw in Seattle.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:48 PM

20 posts, read 27,940 times
I would like to thank you all for your comments. I am a biracial black male and I am hoping to find a beautiful white woman who is open minded to share my life. I graduated from Harvard University and Cornell University Business School. I have a career in financial services and I am bring jobs to Lansing, Michigan.

I am in the process moving to Lansing, Michigan in hopes of finding love with a white woman and I am biracial. Are interracial marriages and couples growing in Lansing, Michigan?

Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit