Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2007, 06:34 AM

78 posts, read 357,215 times

Advertisements

Travelling in the next couple of weeks to Detroit. Trip may take me into Ontario. Do I need a passport to get to Canada? Do I need to get back across to the U.S.?

Also, is it bottle-necked at Ambassador Bridge/Windsor Tunnel? Should I cross, instead at the Port Huron-Sarnia?

Thanks in advance for your information.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 05:14 PM

156 posts, read 562,470 times
Default Travel to Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Lakes Pirate View Post
Travelling in the next couple of weeks to Detroit. Trip may take me into Ontario. Do I need a passport to get to Canada? Do I need to get back across to the U.S.?

Also, is it bottle-necked at Ambassador Bridge/Windsor Tunnel? Should I cross, instead at the Port Huron-Sarnia?

Thanks in advance for your information.
You do not currently need a passport to drive into Canada or back into the States, but you do need ID such as a driver's license. It does, however, make the re-entry process smoother if you do have a passport. Bear in mind, however, that if you [i]fly[i] into Canada, you must have a passport.

As for which border crossing being best, it is very hit or miss. I've made the trip accross and back a few times in the past year and the longest wait I've had was coming back into Michigan at Port Huron in late December last year, which took about half an hour. The longest wait I had going into Canada was also at Sarnia, but I think that is an aberration as it usually does not take long getting into Canada at any of the crossings. People advised me that Port Huron-Sarnia would be fastest and the Ambassador bridge slowest, but my experience, though limited, does not suggest that. Plus the Ambassador bridge offers the best view. I would let distance to destination be the guide in determining which route to take.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:57 PM

7 posts, read 41,350 times
Actually, as of 2008, you will need a Passport to cross any American International border according to Bush's Immigration laws. Until then all you need is an I.D at the Tunnel and Birth Certificate and I.D. at the bridge. The Tunnel is typically the fastest route to and from Canada as they're aren't as many citizen custom issues that you must go through.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:40 AM

78 posts, read 357,215 times
Smile Thanks

Thanks! Above posters!

Old 10-23-2007, 08:47 AM
tcb

198 posts, read 679,942 times
I was wondering the same, Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit