Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 06:39 PM

22 posts, read 48,342 times

Advertisements

So my wife and I have lived around metro detroit for most of our lives until the last 4 years when we lived in Colorado. We moved back this year to be closer to home and to start my business. We are trying to figure out where we want to live now. Currently we are renting in Saint Clair Shores, which is decent but too close to where we grew up and we would like to find better schools.

We have 2 children, 6 and 3. I am a freelance illustrator and can work from anywhere. We are trying to limit where we live from say Ann Arbor west to the lake east.
Having trails and parks nearby is a must, another thing that is lacking on the east side. Schools are of the most importance to us. I can't see wanting to spend more that $150,000 on a house.

Some areas that we like are, Ann Arbor and surrounding small towns, pinckney, brighton, etc.
Northville, Plymouth, Livonia, not sure if we can afford a house there or not.
Oxford, Ortonville, Washington, somewhere around there. We are really looking for a small town feel. We are not looking for Suburbia, I had enough of that in Denver.

We are probably gravitating more towards the north, ortonville, clarkston, oxford, as it's a little closer to family. We have family in Port Huron and Roseville.

Would love to hear your thoughts on some good schools in those areas, or small towns that you think are really worth checking out. Thanks for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 07:56 PM

809 posts, read 2,409,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwilly View Post
So my wife and I have lived around metro detroit for most of our lives until the last 4 years when we lived in Colorado. We moved back this year to be closer to home and to start my business. We are trying to figure out where we want to live now. Currently we are renting in Saint Clair Shores, which is decent but too close to where we grew up and we would like to find better schools.

We have 2 children, 6 and 3. I am a freelance illustrator and can work from anywhere. We are trying to limit where we live from say Ann Arbor west to the lake east.
Having trails and parks nearby is a must, another thing that is lacking on the east side. Schools are of the most importance to us. I can't see wanting to spend more that $150,000 on a house.

Some areas that we like are, Ann Arbor and surrounding small towns, pinckney, brighton, etc.
Northville, Plymouth, Livonia, not sure if we can afford a house there or not.
Oxford, Ortonville, Washington, somewhere around there. We are really looking for a small town feel. We are not looking for Suburbia, I had enough of that in Denver.

We are probably gravitating more towards the north, ortonville, clarkston, oxford, as it's a little closer to family. We have family in Port Huron and Roseville.

Would love to hear your thoughts on some good schools in those areas, or small towns that you think are really worth checking out. Thanks for your time!
Why not look in your neck of the woods in Grosse Pointe? There are homes in your price range there.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:25 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,273,157 times
You should look at the Utica School district. One of the best in the state - much more affordable than AA or GP and perfect for your budget. Stoney Creek Metropark for canoe/run/rollerblade/hiking/frisbee golf is only 5-10 minutes away. Coupled with the amenities on Hall Road from M53 to 94.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:50 AM

22 posts, read 48,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
Why not look in your neck of the woods in Grosse Pointe? There are homes in your price range there.
Grosse Point is nice, but like I said, not enough parks on the east side. You have to drive 45mn to an hour to get anywhere decent.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:02 AM

465 posts, read 872,412 times
And Grosse Pointe has sky high taxes, and for 150k you will only get an older, smaller home.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:04 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,723,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
You should look at the Utica School district. One of the best in the state - much more affordable than AA or GP and perfect for your budget. Stoney Creek Metropark for canoe/run/rollerblade/hiking/frisbee golf is only 5-10 minutes away. Coupled with the amenities on Hall Road from M53 to 94.
I second this opinion. I have friends that live in the 18 and utica area. There is plenty of trails and bike paths. They take 30 mile bike rides and are never on the road other than just to get to the path.

And this is michigan, you can offer them 150k on a 2 million dollar house and it'll probably get accepted!

Old 03-01-2013, 09:29 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,599,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
I second this opinion. I have friends that live in the 18 and utica area. There is plenty of trails and bike paths. They take 30 mile bike rides and are never on the road other than just to get to the path.

And this is michigan, you can offer them 150k on a 2 million dollar house and it'll probably get accepted!
Not if someone else snatches it up first. Good homes go quick!

Old 03-01-2013, 10:06 AM

465 posts, read 872,412 times
Metro Detroit is relatively cheap, but nice areas are still pretty expensive.

You can't get anything decent in Birmingham or Bloomfield for less than half a million. New construction in places like Novi and Rochester Hills starts at least 350k or 400k (and can go way up from there).

So, yeah, there are a ton of cheap areas, but they usually aren't the best areas.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:11 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,723,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Not if someone else snatches it up first. Good homes go quick!
Yeah, then you just buy the neighbors house!

Old 03-01-2013, 12:28 PM

2,210 posts, read 3,495,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
Yeah, then you just buy the neighbors house!
This isn't 2009 anymore. The real estate market has changed drastically in the past year, and there is a shortage of supply in decent to upscale areas (i.e. not Detroit or Redford). This has led to bidding wars in many of the more upscale areas. Sure, it's not anywhere near 2005 levels, but the bottom of the market appears to be gone, and the foreclosure deals are all but gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit