Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 02:42 PM

20 posts, read 52,223 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've heard (from reading on these boards) that Ferndale specifically in the blocks close to 8 Mile and East of Livernois (but West of Woodward) tends to be "crime ridden."

What are your opinions on this area?

I've been looking to buy a house and originally started my search in the City of Detroit - specifically in University District, Sherwood Forest/Green Acres, N. Rosedale Park, Rosedale Park and Grandmont-Rosedale.

After doing some investigating using Crime Stat tools like crimemapping.com (and also hearing from some coworkers), it seems like everywhere within the City of Detroit, including the 'burbs, is filled with crime and might not be the place for a single white female to live alone and buy a house.

I do not have a high budget for a home (damn you, high student debt bills!) and haven't been able to find any homes in my price range North of 9 Mile and West of Woodward (which I heard was the best area to buy in Ferndale).

I'd really like to be in Ferndale because it seems to be safer than all of the suburbs I was originally looking at within the City of Detroit. The houses I can afford are pretty teeny tiny, but for just me by myself, I am okay with that.

My issue is that the only houses I'm finding right now in my price range have been close to 8 Mile and Livernois, and after reading some past threads on City-Data, it sounds like maybe this isn't the best area either.

Really hoping I can get some perspective from you all on this. I'm getting pretty bummed out that I thought I had finally found an area safer than City of Detroit by looking outside of the city in Ferndale, but now I am questioning that decision as well. It almost sounds to me like if I cannot afford to live in the most affluent area (N of 9 Mile, W of Woodward) than it isn't worth it to buy a house in Ferndale at all. Sadly, I just do not have the means to purchase in this area based on the home prices I'm seeing there.

Any help out there, please?

Much appreciated. You all are always the best and so honest.

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 04:31 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
I tend to believe what I read. My wife and I drove through Sherwood a few years ago--garage sale hunting. The folks there stared and continued to stare as we drove up one street and down another. We were not the only car driving around that sunny Saturday morning.
We stopped at a few sales and realized we were not exactly what the neighborhood was expecting.

Our neice and her husband were kiving on the north side of 8 Mile at Woodward. Someone rushed her in her driveway, grabbed her purse and said he would be back. If she told anyone he would make sure he brought friends.

They left the house the next morning and never went back. Eventually they let the bank take it.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:59 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,272,749 times
It's not as safe as living at 32 Mile and Van Dyke but it's not bad enough that you will lose sleep (or your life) over it.

You're only a mile to 9 Mile for all the entertainment/bars of 9 Mile/Woodward. The new Meijer opens at 8 Mile/Woodward in a few months significantly increasing the normal factor in that area.

A lot of the statistics you read are skewed because many people who buy homes in Ferndale are 1) singles 2) couples without children. Thus the school district demographics don't accuraltey portray the demographics of the housing population in total.

Pick 3-4 different days/times and check out the area. For example, on a Saturday or Sunday morning drive to the Tim Hortons on Woodward/9 mile - get a coffee and park near your house and walk around the block or two. Do you feel normal? Do the same at 2-3pm. Again at 6-9pm. You'll quickly realize whether you're fine or not.

Sherwood/University/Palmer all highly (more desirable) districts than Ferndale but you'll be fine where you're looking. Good luck!

Old 03-01-2013, 07:14 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,598,154 times
The only thing sketchy about Ferndale is the section near Royal Oak Township since it looks a bit run down. But that's solely judging it based on appearances. It's not even a full mile in size but it's basically like an unincorporated piece of Oakland county. I think there's a public housing development there which might be where some of the crime comes from, but for the most part, it's a decent area with more liberal/older residents and is a pretty quiet area.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:43 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,103,572 times
Smart move probably.

Good idea for a thread !

Old 03-03-2013, 08:16 AM

9 posts, read 30,542 times
Default Ferndale

I used to live in Ferndale and as someone else mentioned the only really sketchy parts are near Royal Oak Township which is further west of Livernois near Oak Park. North of eight mile and west of Woodward is a pretty nice area with lots of small but fairly well maintained houses close to each other and tree lined streets. I used to go running there all the time. Another area to look at in Ferndale would be Just east of Woodward and north of 9 mile. The area between Woodward and Hilton is pretty nice with inexpensive housing as well. Even just south of 9 on the east side isn't too bad. Once you get further east toward Hazel Park the area is a bit less desirable but still not dangerous.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:38 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,495,176 times
Rule of thumb: If a city shares a border with Detroit, it probably has higher incidences of crime, as the Detroit criminals are spilling out into the inner-ring. The closer you are to the Detroit border, the more dangerous it likely is.

I would start following the crime/police briefs of the local paper - they usually cover every crime of significance that occurred in the past week or two. This usually gives an indication of what kinds of crimes are being committed (i.e. violent vs. petty) and where the criminals are coming from.

"The new Meijer opens at 8 Mile/Woodward in a few months significantly increasing the normal factor in that area."

Big box discount stores that open close to the Detroit border are usually designed to draw in Detroiters. This usually leads to an increase in crime in the immediate area.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:13 PM

20 posts, read 52,223 times
Thank you all so much for the input - really appreciate it, and taking everyone's advice to heart. You guys are the best!

Old 03-04-2013, 05:57 AM

465 posts, read 872,412 times
I would not move there. It isn't the hood or anything, but any neighborhood adjacent to 8 Mile Rd. (which is rough and crime-ridden) will have elevated levels of crime.

If I lived there, I would not feel comfortable going on vacation and leaving the house empty. I would not feel comfortable going away on business and my wife at home alone.

Ferndale has relatively high levels of car theft, and home invasions. It's also kind of hip for Metro Detroit standards, but that area is more around 9 Mile Road. Generally speaking south of 9 Mile is cheaper and less desirable than north of 9 Mile (largely because of proximity to Detroit).

Old 03-04-2013, 06:22 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,103,572 times
Here are the Crime Ratings for Ferndale:

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Much higher for Rape, and Car theft - so get a bike, but if you are female, be very careful at night

Last edited by Yac; 09-10-2018 at 05:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit