Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 08:28 AM

5 posts, read 23,335 times

Advertisements

I recently got engaged!!! Ive been looking for a place near metro detroit to hold an outdoor wedding ceremony!!! Ive picked a place in riverview for my reception already. So I kind of want it close by there. Ive looked into the Metro Parks, all of them, lol. Even Elizabeth park. The Lady I spoke with concering the BASF waterfront park was a bit rude, but thats my only consideration at the moment. I even tried the Westcroff Gardens, but to no avail, my MOH is terrified of that bridge for some reason! Any ideas would certainly help, and are appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 08:35 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,271,575 times
Congrats! Wahby Park in St. Clair Shores is a pretty inexpensive place for a wedding with good views. St. Clair Shores, MI - Official Website - Wahby Park. Do a Google image search of "Wahby Park" in SCS for pictures from prior weddings.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:41 PM

Thank You, Ill look into that right now

Old 03-07-2013, 01:52 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Too bad about Westcroft. The park in there is beautiful.

What is the reason every major park has been rejected? I think you have rejected every nice park I can think of in the area. Are you sure you really want to have anoutdoor wedding? You need very flexible people for that. What is yor MOH (whatever that is) going to do if a bee flys in to the are during the wedding, so someones dog runs through. What if it is hot, or windy, or cloudy, or sunny, or misty, or cool? Are your intended guests and panicky MOH the kind of people who can deal with things like that? Ants, mosquitoes . . . An ourdoor wedding leaves a lot of things to chance.

We have seen some beautiful weddings at Elizabeth park. They use the footbridge as part of the ceremony. It is really pretty.

If you want ot go all the wya tou to Ypsi township there is a cider mill place witha pretty area for weddings. The Lord Fox Resturaunt in Dixborough has a nice gazebo near a stream wher i have seen some nice small weddings.

Maybe you could charter the Detroit Princess for the wedding and they can dock at Portifinos or one of hte other large docks in Wyandotte to transfer to the rception. Or you cna jsut have the reception on the boat.

There are more nice venues as you get further away. That garbae hill park in New Hundson has breathtaking views. MCatti park in South lyon has a really old little chaple and a neat witches had railroad station for background. Maybury State park in Northville is very pretty (woodsy). The hisotric park in Northville would be pretty. It is like a little greenfield villiage. If you can afford it, you can do weddings are Greenfield villiage. Come to think of it, Heritage Park in Taylor is pretty and neat as well. A mini-historic building park like the one in Northville. That is closer. You will get traffic noise off of Northline Road though.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:22 PM

I dont know if Elizabeth park will hold my guest capacity. I would Love to be married there. Im waiting for a response back from the people of Elizabeth Park, Ive even left a few messages. Its a waiting game as far as that is concerned. And MOH is Maid of Honor, my sister. She doesnt even cross that bridge for her job. And I know of Heritgae park, I grew up right down the street from there Im going to wait on word from the Elizabeth Park people, because the bridge is what made me fall in love with it in the first place. Either that, im just going to have to blindfold my MOH and stuff her in the car like your going to Westcroff. Thank you fr the suggestions though. I very much appreciate it

Old 03-07-2013, 02:32 PM

I did find out that there is a different way into Westcroff than the bridge. Anybody been this way before? Taking the Grosse Ile parkway?

Old 03-07-2013, 04:00 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
I would suggest ANY Huron-Metro Park location.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcorn711 View Post
I did find out that there is a different way into Westcroff than the bridge. Anybody been this way before? Taking the Grosse Ile parkway?
Other than a bridge, you options are helicopter, airplane, or boat.

Grosse Ile is a chain of islands. There is no getting onto Grosse Ile with a car without crossing a bridge. Grosse Ile Parkway is the free bridge (County Bridge). Bridge Road crosses the private (toll) bridge. The toll bridge is older (1906 or so). The Free bridge is newer (1930s) and it used to be a rail bridge. The free bridge was recently renovated so it it in pretty good shape. The toll bridge is well maintained, so it is also in good shape. Toll bridge costs $2 each way. And yes, I have used parkway thousands of times. Most recently this morning. I prefer it over the toll bridge even though it is a bit further from us because the toll bridge price ticks me off. BTW we live a few hundred yards form Westcroft Gardens, so I can answer most questions about the area.

The toll bridge is about a mile to Westcroft Gardens. The free bridge is about two miles to Westcroft Gardens. When the flowers are in bloom, the little park area in Westcroft Gardens is stunningly beautiful.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcorn711 View Post
I dont know if Elizabeth park will hold my guest capacity. I would Love to be married there. Im waiting for a response back from the people of Elizabeth Park, Ive even left a few messages. Its a waiting game as far as that is concerned. And MOH is Maid of Honor, my sister. She doesnt even cross that bridge for her job. And I know of Heritgae park, I grew up right down the street from there Im going to wait on word from the Elizabeth Park people, because the bridge is what made me fall in love with it in the first place. Either that, im just going to have to blindfold my MOH and stuff her in the car like your going to Westcroff. Thank you fr the suggestions though. I very much appreciate it
I think Elizabeth Park can only hold about 10,000 to 20,000 people. How big is your wedding? (I assume you must be referring to a gazebo or a specific area. I have seen huges weddings and events there where they set up tents. The Roar on the River is probably the biggest. If your wedding is bigger than roar on the river, you do have a problem).

Can you drug the Maid of Honor and just let her wake up on the island without knowing how she got there?

Does she realize that she crosses dozens of bridges every day if she drives around Michigan much at all?

If she is afraid of the bridge, I can paddle over in a canoe with one of my kids and pick her up if your wedding is on a weekend. We will do that for free - we like the Westcroft garden people. They can use the business.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:11 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
How close is close? Island Lake Recreation Area is nice, but it's about 30 miles out of town...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit