Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2013, 01:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,123 times

Advertisements

I'm currently attending macomb community college and want to transfer to a 4 year college. I'm trying to decide between Oakland university and getting my MIS (Management Information Systems) degree or going to walsh collenge and getting my BSBIS (The Bachelor of Science in Business Information Systems) degree.

is one more respected than the other? for both in state and out of state jobs.

One thing i like about walsh is that you can transfer up to 82 credits but i'm not sure how respected the college is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 07:41 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,497,620 times
Both schools are fine if you are planning to get your first job in-state. Walsh's accounting program is highly respected in the state, and their tax accounting is ranked in the top 20 nationally. So it's a very respected business school overall. I'm currently working towards my MBA there, and the courses are certainly rigorous enough.

I don't have any firsthand experience with OU, but know plenty of people in good jobs who went to B-school there. There are plenty of examples of very successful alumni from both schools.

As far as "respectability" goes, I think they are about equal. Go with whatever program fits you, and do everything you can to get experience in the field while you are going to school. That will serve you just as well as your degree.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:27 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,274,976 times
You might also want to consider WSU. You can get your bachelor's in business degree right there at MCC so you'd save commuting cost. Given WSU tuition is cheaper than Oakland - and the two are comparable schools in terms of undergrad quality - that seems the more prudent choice. Walsh will be more expensive. From those three schools - your GPA alone will determine whether you get interviews - focus your energy on getting that as high as possible.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:56 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,819,544 times
Default If I may offer a bit of advice. . . .

While you may not find it exciting from the initial reading, here it goes: Auditing is, and is going to be, the HOT career prospect for the future. Find a college that offers degrees or classes in auditing, specifically: Payment Card Industry (PCI) compliance auditing, Sarbanes-Oxley (SARBOX) compliance auditing, corporate internal auditing, etc.

The industry is currently paying HUGE dollars for certified auditors particularly PCI and SARBOX. Look into this and definitely go into this. There are tons of people who are graduating and have graduated with generic MIS, or ITdegrees and we're all awash out here trying to get work. If you can get into a program that sets you up for PCI and SARBOX auditing (get certified!) you can literally work and live almost anywhere you want and might need to do a little bit of travel.

I would give this advice to anyone willing to listen and beg that they HEED it. HEED this advice.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:13 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,819,544 times
Default Sorry, left one out: HIPAA. . .

PCI auditing, SarbOx auditing, HIPAA auditing, and corporate internal audit (CISP) are booming now and will continue to boom.

Also, information security strategy, especially CISSP certification, are booming as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit