Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 07:49 AM

9 posts, read 19,784 times

Advertisements

I am considering a relocation to Grosse Pointe area. I am a big fan of the old homes and planned style of the community. My question is what are the opinions on the future of the Pointes? I see that housing there has really been very weak and seems to be treading along the bottom of the range with no rebound off the lows. I am concerned that if I were to purchase that the area may continue to decline and I will lose even more money trying to sell down the road...no less than 5 years from now. Also, taxes seem high and I am concerned that if they continue to rise that this will further weaken the value of local real estate. Lastly, what about the schools? They seem to be transitioning to much more diverse socio-economic student-body with lower income children mixed in with higher income. Are the schools still viable for upper income residents or are they also beginning to decline? I ask because it is pretty clear that school performance is highly correlated with the background of the students and any community must have viable schools for real estate values to hold up. My range for a purchase would be between $800k and $1.2mm.

So what to you think? Is a relocation to suburban Detroit a mistake? Thanks for any and all opinions.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:06 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,468,871 times
I would personally be very nervous investing that much money in a home that is within a stone's throw of Detroit. I do know there is quite a lot of concern over the quality of the schools due to Harper Woods being a part of the GP school district. Harper Woods is significantly cheaper than any of the Pointes, and it has attracted a lot of lower-end people wanting to take advantage of the schools.

Given your price range, I am assuming you can afford a home in Grosse Pointe proper, which is by far the most affluent of the Pointes. That area is so wealthy that it will largely be shielded from whatever happens in the rest of the Pointes (and Detroit). But it is still a part of the overall GP school district.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:07 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,251,986 times
"The schools seem to be transition to much more diverse socio-economic status?" - I'm going to ignore that seemingly racist rant and just calm your fears of "seems" and "hears" that Grosse Pointe is actually the third best public school district in the state of Michigan, according to US News and World Report. Search Michigan High Schools | US News Yes - it's just one magazine's ranking - but I'd take this magazine (and the college admission folks who read it) vs. what Aunt Cheryl said at the dinner table about all the lower socio-economic people moving in.

So to answer your question - Yes I would. Best architecture of any suburb in Metro Detroit. Lakefront access. Private parks. Best public schools in all of Metro Detroit. Easy commute to downtown.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:13 AM

Sorry that you think that stating the obvious is somehow racist. Socio-economics are not based on race but if you think they are then that is YOUR opinion. In any case this, is not a thread about schools and socio-economics but about the Pointes and their future. Lastly, you don't even know what race I am yet you call me racist? Thanks for your opinion though.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:15 AM

465 posts, read 867,200 times
I personally would not, because the taxes are sky-high, and the Pointes are having problems other wealthy suburbs aren't having (school decline, problems being on the Detroit border, lack of retail and services).

But the homes are absolutely beautiful, though. Probably, on average, the most beautiful Detroit suburbs. That said, I think if you want nice older homes and good schools, Oakland County is a much safer long-term bet. Look at Birmingham, Huntington Woods, Pleasant Ridge, etc. Property values are much stronger than in the Pointes, and there's tons more retail, restaurants, and services.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
" I'm going to ignore that seemingly racist rant and just calm your fears of "seems" and "hears" that Grosse Pointe is actually the third best public school district in the state of Michigan, according to US News and World Report. Search Michigan High Schools | US News Yes - it's just one magazine's ranking - but I'd take this magazine (and the college admission folks who read it) vs. what Aunt Cheryl said at the dinner table about all the lower socio-economic people moving in.
How about looking at the official state rankings, instead of some random magazine? Using the state's academic rankings, Grosse Pointe schools are nowhere near the top.

Probably a majority of the high schools in Oakland County are ranked above Grosse Pointe North, for example. Grosse Pointe South is much better, but still not at the top.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
... a home in Grosse Pointe proper, which is by far the most affluent of the Pointes.
What area is this? Do you mean in the City of Grosse Pointe as opposed to Grosse Pointe Park, Shores or Farms? How would you characterize each Pointe and which is the most desirable? From what I understand, South high school is better than North, is that the case?

Old 03-25-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by where_now1 View Post
What area is this? Do you mean in the City of Grosse Pointe as opposed to Grosse Pointe Park, Shores or Farms? How would you characterize each Pointe and which is the most desirable? From what I understand, South high school is better than North, is that the case?
South is MUCH better than North. If you're moving to the Pointes with kids, be sure you're in South. If you're going to North, you're paying huge property taxes for an average high school that's in decline.

The wealthiest Pointe, by far is GP Shores, followed by Farm, City, Park, and Woods. Though Park is weird because there's a very affluent part, and a working class part.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:50 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,468,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by where_now1 View Post
I actually believe Grosse Pointe Shores is the most affluent of the Pointes. That's where a lot of the Ford family lives along with many other old money scions.

If you look at objective statistics (which aren't racist, the last time I checked) Grosse Pointe South is indeed ranked higher than North. The district as a whole is 24th in the state, and is on par with districts such as Troy and South Lyon.

Dig a little deeper into those stats, and you'll see some concerning trends. Many of the schools have seen an significant increase in students who qualify for free or discounted lunches -- which is a good indicator of socio-economic background.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:58 AM

306 posts, read 817,097 times
I wouldn't be too worried about the Pointes. I think they will hold up fine. The Kercheval area of Grosse Pointe Park is undergoing a pretty big change (several new restaurants and developments are planned) which I think will solidify GPP and perhaps make it a trendy place to live .

I have family who goes to GPN and they have zero complaints. Its still one of the best schools in the area even with the socio changes its gone through. Some people value that diversity and would consider it a plus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit