Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 05:15 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,420,333 times

Advertisements

Which neighborhoods in and around Detroit have the most character? I grew up in Madison Heights and moved to Denver in 2008. Now that I'm likely headed back to the Metro Detroit area, this has piqued my interest. Denver has a ton of little trendy neighborhoods. In the city, there are little strips of shops, restaurants, and bars here and there, scattered all about. In the suburbs, they have everything from the quaint, historic downtown districts to the lively, newly-built town centers (think Novi Town Center).

How would you rate Metro Detroit's neighborhoods? Which are the best in your opinion? This is in regards to character, liveliness, night life, activities, parks, etc. Give us your rankings and tell us why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 07:33 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,835,817 times
It's very difficult to answer your question, since the metro area is so large. Depending on where you will work and how much you plan to spend on rent or purchase of a home, how long of a commute you would tolerate, answers will vary. What are your interests, specifically, too? What sort of amenities do you want in your community? There are many wonderful places to live.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
It's very difficult to answer your question, since the metro area is so large. Depending on where you will work and how much you plan to spend on rent or purchase of a home, how long of a commute you would tolerate, answers will vary. What are your interests, specifically, too? What sort of amenities do you want in your community? There are many wonderful places to live.
Oh, this isn't about where I will be seeking out residence. I was just wondering what residents of the Metro Detroit area thought were some of the nicer neighborhoods with character (liveliness, shops, restaurants, night life, bars, etc.).

Old 04-03-2013, 12:34 AM

5 posts, read 11,594 times
in terms of things to do, mainly around downtowns, eating, dining, and nightlife:

SUBURBS:
Birmingham is very sophisticated and has an extremely lively downtown and beautiful neighborhoods. It has a kind of "Uptown" vibe. Its very wealthy and expensive and charming. My favorite metro Detroit town BY FAR.

Royal Oak is probably the most hip among people in my age group (20s-30s) and really provides a great downtown feel and has excellent bars and nightlife.

Ferndale also has a nice and lively downtown, although smaller than the above two, and is concentrated at Woodward and 9 Mile. It is also very gay friendly and progressive.

Rochester, Plymouth, and Northville can't really compete in the hipness department with the above 3 locations, but all of these have thriving downtowns with shops, cafes, a few bars, and is pleasant to hang out in.

the Grosse Pointe area is improving in the "hip" department and has a downtown, not exactly hip right now per se, but Grosse Pointe Park is undergoing a demographic shift it seems and is kind of becoming an alternative to Royal Oak.

Wyandotte provides a good downtown for downriver suburbs.

Dearborn, around Michigan ave. also has plenty of bars and attractions, dining, food, especially middle eastern.
in terms of the city of Detroit proper, i would say that the Midtown, Woodbridge, Greektown, Corktown and Downtown areas seem to have the most going on. Woodbridge not itself, but is a beautiful area to live in with proximity to Midtown,Downtown, and Greektown. Also up and coming is the New Center area.

in terms of character of architecture and parks etc. pretty much all of the above, in addition to Bloomfield Hills, Beverly Hills, Franklin, Huntington Woods, Pleasant Ridge, Utica, Washington/Shelby Townships, and Romeo.

Last edited by swim33; 04-03-2013 at 12:47 AM..

Old 04-03-2013, 10:50 AM

30,702 posts, read 79,403,084 times
I would add:
Ann Arbor
Chelsea,

Neat towns in a similar way to Plymouth and Northville
Dexter,
saline,
Tecumseh
Milford
South Lyon

Old 04-03-2013, 03:53 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,243,501 times
I think it was all a result of the staggeringly successful "Cool Cities" program.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:36 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,920,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I would add:
Ann Arbor
Chelsea,

Neat towns in a similar way to Plymouth and Northville
Dexter,
saline,
Tecumseh
Milford
South Lyon
I really don't consider most of those communities to be a true suburb / neighborhood of Metro Detroit. They are very nice communities, almost independent each with themselves, but they are either exurbs on the fringe of sprawl or identify more with the Ann Arbor/Brighton/Howell/Fenton/US-23 corridor.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:24 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,472,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
I think it was all a result of the staggeringly successful "Cool Cities" program.
Nice one.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
What's this in reference to?

Old 04-05-2013, 09:03 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,920,336 times
The former governor, Jennifer Granholm, launched a "Cool Cities" initative around 2003-2005 with the attempt to provide grants and fund projects that would create cities where young professionals would want to live/work/play.

The program by all accounts was unsuccessful at much of anything, other than spending a whole bunch of state money on disconnected and in some casea mis-aligned projects. The initiative did very little to stop the migration of college educated people from moving out of state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit