Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 10:20 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,278,687 times

Advertisements

Like which ones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 07:16 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,741,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313 TUxedo View Post
A lot of Chicago's suburbs have had an equal, if not worse, collapse.
Apples and oranges.

(now comparing Chicago's suburbs to Detroit's suburbs, the suburbs of Detroit have, by far, been the hardest hit).

Old 04-23-2013, 06:09 PM

615 posts, read 1,391,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
Like which ones?
Just off the top of my head (not a complete list) Phoenix, Dolton, Harvey, Robbins, Markham, Gary (IN - some would argue it is not a suburb), Chicago Heights and Ford Heights (note that the last two are not inner ring suburbs by any stretch of the imagination - they back up to farmland).
It's been awhile since I spent much time in Chicagoland, so I can't be sure, but Posen, South Holland, Hammond and University Park may have joined this list.

The only Detroit suburb that can remotely compare to Detroit proper is Highland Park. Even Ecorse and River Rouge have their better neighborhoods. Even the least desirable parts of Hamtramck, Inkster, Warren, Taylor, etc are still somewhat livable (worse for the investor than for the residents themselves).

Old 04-23-2013, 08:03 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,114 times
Quote:
Just off the top of my head (not a complete list) Phoenix, Dolton, Harvey, Robbins, Markham, Gary (IN - some would argue it is not a suburb), Chicago Heights and Ford Heights (note that the last two are not inner ring suburbs by any stretch of the imagination - they back up to farmland).
It's been awhile since I spent much time in Chicagoland, so I can't be sure, but Posen, South Holland, Hammond and University Park may have joined this list.

The only Detroit suburb that can remotely compare to Detroit proper is Highland Park. Even Ecorse and River Rouge have their better neighborhoods. Even the least desirable parts of Hamtramck, Inkster, Warren, Taylor, etc are still somewhat livable (worse for the investor than for the residents themselves).
Much of South Chicagoland is pretty bad.

Inkster is one ghetto suburb. Very comparable to the hoods in Detroit. Highland Park has it's nice parts here and there last time I checked and parts of Ecorse, River Rouge, and Warren, have parts that are very comparable to parts of Detroit. Don't know much about Taylor but Hamtramck is unique. And Detroit has better neighborhoods as well, some of which are much nicer than any neighborhood you will find any any of those suburbs you mention.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:17 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,278,687 times
Well, "bad" and "collapse" are pretty vague terms.

The original point of this thread was blight. I'm sure there are some muncipalities in this country that have as many abandoned homes as the more beat up parts of Detroit, but I doubt there are too many.

I have been through many "bad" neighborhoods where you might not want to be strolling around late at night, but, physically, they did not look all that bad, relatively speaking.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:43 PM

406 posts, read 768,853 times
Quote:

ha! this is far from true.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:04 PM

615 posts, read 1,391,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit's own View Post
ha! this is far from true.
Name one block in any of those communities that looks like the 14000s of Rochelle!

Problem is, the 8000s of Continental (Warren) are eerily reminiscent of the 14000s or Rochelle thirty years ago.

Last edited by 313 TUxedo; 04-24-2013 at 10:06 PM.. Reason: added comparisons

Old 04-25-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Name one block in any of those communities that looks like the 14000s of Rochelle!

Problem is, the 8000s of Continental (Warren) are eerily reminiscent of the 14000s or Rochelle thirty years ago.
I don't even know where Rochelle is, not off the top of my head. But if you mean abandoned, ha! parts of Hamtramck look just like it. Besides all of Detroit isn't filled with streets with 2 homes and lots. You can find neighborhoods in everyone one of those cities that look just like neighborhoods in Detroit. Matter of fact I can't think of one area in any of the cities you named comparable to Palmer Woods, Indian Village etc. HP only comparable city? yea ok

Old 04-25-2013, 04:38 PM

hell even HP historic neighborhood is more appealing than every city you named with the exception of Hamtramck

Old 04-25-2013, 06:32 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,114 times
Comparing suburbs to city is kind of apples to oranges but Harrison street in Inkster south of Michigan Ave comes pretty close.

Quote:
I don't even know where Rochelle is
Between Gratiot and Hayes a few blocks North of Houston-Whittier (Eastside)
Quote:
I can't think of one area in any of the cities you named comparable to Palmer Woods, Indian Village etc.
There isn't. Which is why I say it's kind of apples to oranges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit