U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2013, 03:58 AM

7 posts, read 17,578 times

Advertisements

Hi..hope you guys can help me with this:

My husband and I are moving to MI this June and are looking for homes to rent. I'll be commuting to Detroit for work everyday. We found a home we love in West Bloomfield but I'm concerned about the commute during rush hour..I'm not familiar with MI traffic. My experience is only with Boston and Maryland which are horrible. Please help. There's a home in royal oak that we don't like as much..the one in WB is a great space, just not sure about the commute. Thanks!!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 12:35 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,001,319 times
Not sure how the traffic compares to Boston or Maryland but from West Bloomfield to Detroit you can take 696 (which gets pretty bad during rush hour) to the Lodge (not exactly sure how bad it gets during rush hour) or you can just take the surface streets to the Lodge and avoid 696 altogether. Traffic on the freeways are usually stop and go during rush hour and in some spots it's usually a parking lot for a while.

This will actually depend on what part of Detroit you are commuting to. For example if your job is on the far westside then the commute won't be half as bad as it would be if it's somewhere on the eastside close to I-94.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:10 PM

I'll be at the university of Detroit mercy dental school..does that put me on the east or west side?

Old 05-05-2013, 01:14 PM

7,237 posts, read 11,569,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
Not sure how the traffic compares to Boston or Maryland but from West Bloomfield to Detroit you can take 696 (which gets pretty bad during rush hour) to the Lodge (not exactly sure how bad it gets during rush hour) or you can just take the surface streets to the Lodge and avoid 696 altogether. Traffic on the freeways are usually stop and go during rush hour and in some spots it's usually a parking lot for a while.

This will actually depend on what part of Detroit you are commuting to. For example if your job is on the far westside then the commute won't be half as bad as it would be if it's somewhere on the eastside close to I-94.
It depends on what part of West Bloomfield they live in.

For some in WB, it's more convenient to take Orchard Lake Road to Northwestern Highway (which turns into The Lodge) instead of I-696 to The Lodge.

The Lodge is probably the fastest way to get to any part of Detroit from that part of Oakland County (Davison Freeway/8 Mile from The Lodge will get you to parts of the NE side of the city easily, whereas I-94 from The Lodge will get you to the lower east side pretty easily).

Old 05-05-2013, 01:16 PM

It's 5048 langlewood rd west Bloomfield to 2700 mlk jr blvd Detroit.

Is this favorable or a nightmare? How long do you think it would take in rush hour? I think the hours are 8-5. Thanks so much for any help you can give or advice!

Old 05-05-2013, 01:25 PM

7,237 posts, read 11,569,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanRizk View Post
It's 5048 langlewood rd west Bloomfield to 2700 mlk jr blvd Detroit.

Is this favorable or a nightmare? How long do you think it would take in rush hour? I think the hours are 8-5. Thanks so much for any help you can give or advice!
From there, I would give yourself about 45 minutes to get to/from UDM's dental school (which is in what's now called midtown Detroit). You're not only going to be dealing with the inbound/outbound traffic from downtown/midtown Detroit, but also the inbound/outbound traffic from Southfield as well.

I'd say the best route would be to take Farmington Road southbound to 14 Mile, 14 Mile eastbound to Northwestern Highway headed southbound, which will transition to the Lodge, and then come up on at the Forest Avenue exit. From there, you would take The Lodge service drive to MLK Jr. Boulevard and head eastbound on it.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:28 PM

45 minutes isn't too bad..I was expecting to hear worse..

Thanks!

Old 05-05-2013, 08:32 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,316,772 times
I'd consider both of your commutes, not just yours from West Bloomfield to downtown Detroit.

It is a do-able commute, and a lot of people do it. I'm almost positive that Detroit traffic is going to be much better than Boston or Baltimore/Washington traffic.

One thing to consider is the time you will commuting. Detroit has a somewhat earlier rush-hour than other cities, primarily because the automotive/manufacturing industries generally follow a much "earlier" workday than what one might find into cities with other major industries. Peak morning rush hour is from about 7am-8:30am and afternoon rush is about 4-6pm. It seems that the majority of downtown Detroit workers arrive between 8-9am and leave between 4:30-5:30pm

Old 05-05-2013, 10:23 PM

My husband will be commuting to Sterling Heights..will troy be a better commute to UDM or is it no different from west Bloomfield?

Old 05-05-2013, 11:58 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,001,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanRizk View Post
My husband will be commuting to Sterling Heights..will troy be a better commute to UDM or is it no different from west Bloomfield?
313 Weather nailed it. That is probably the best route.

Would Troy be a better commute? No. Not really. It would be much better for your husband but worse for you. You will be running right into traffic on I-75 which is one of the worst freeways in the region to travel during rush hour. But then again, your husband will have to deal with the commute from West Bloomfield to Sterling Heights probably using 696 to get there. You will probably get used to it though, won't be THAT bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit