Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 08:26 AM

465 posts, read 872,666 times

Advertisements

GP Schools are excellent, but, yes, there are even better school districts in Metro Detroit.

Generally speaking, if you are in an affluent area, the schools will be good. So whether Novi/South Lyon/Northville or Birmingham/Bloomfield or the Pointes or Grosse Ile, or Rochester/Troy, etc. all will be very good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 09:51 AM

30 posts, read 85,378 times
Just curious....what happened to all those homes in Detroit between Jefferson and Kercheval? There obviously used to be homes there, but online maps show a house here and there, and most of those are in disrepair. I found another rental in Indian Village which is a beautiful house. Unfortunately, the schools are less than desirable. I'm just in shock that a once thriving and beautiful place has gone downhill so quickly.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:03 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times
Indian Village is fairly beat to hell.

If that's where your head is, go for it.

But then you don't really need people's advice here on if an area is OK or not, you are basically announcing that you don't really care, or you are going by a fairly out there set of standards.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayrih View Post
Just curious....what happened to all those homes in Detroit between Jefferson and Kercheval? There obviously used to be homes there, but online maps show a house here and there, and most of those are in disrepair. I found another rental in Indian Village which is a beautiful house. Unfortunately, the schools are less than desirable. I'm just in shock that a once thriving and beautiful place has gone downhill so quickly.
Those homes were abandoned and were burned down or demolished.

And that area didn't go downhill quickly. The East Side has been in decline for 60-70 years now.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:40 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times
Quote:
I have/had relatives who lived over there during the 70s (actually, they lived on the other side of Conners but they frequented that general area). It was crowded and cramped and the prevalence of drugs and crime didn't help. It was mostly working-class neighborhoods so once the factory jobs left, people who had money moved to better neighborhoods and those who didn't usually ended up on the street struggling to get by.

The Grosse Pointe side of Alter never really had the same demographic of peoples.

Also, GP used to be a 'sundown town' back then. Which more or less kept crime out of Grosse Pointe. Technically it 'worked', but yea you can see the result of this pretty easily now.

Last edited by animatedmartian; 05-14-2013 at 10:50 AM..

Old 05-14-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Born View Post
Those homes were abandoned and were burned down or demolished.

And that area didn't go downhill quickly. The East Side has been in decline for 60-70 years now.
How sad. Hopefully one day things will turn around.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
Indian Village is fairly beat to hell.

If that's where your head is, go for it.

But then you don't really need people's advice here on if an area is OK or not, you are basically announcing that you don't really care, or you are going by a fairly out there set of standards.

No, I'm not at all interested in living in Indian Village. I found a rental on craigslist that was only $1850 and the photos were extremely nice of the house. For me, that's a steal for a house. I had no idea what or where Indian Village was at. I've never even been to Detroit, unless you count passing through the airport. As for the rental, once I tried to find it online and map it, I was pretty blown away. Seminole street has some pretty homes (according to what I see online) or at least they were once nice, but appalling doesn't even come close to describing the area surrounding it.

The GPP house that I found is smaller than I would like since we'll be losing about 2000 sq. ft. from my current home. But the school seems great and the commute for my husband will be very short. Our other options are Birmingham, Bloomfield, Novi and Farmington. Those areas are nice but unfortunately, everything seems to go quickly. Mainly the good ones.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:31 PM

809 posts, read 2,410,079 times
Quote:
No, I'm not at all interested in living in Indian Village. I found a rental on craigslist that was only $1850 and the photos were extremely nice of the house. For me, that's a steal for a house. I had no idea what or where Indian Village was at. I've never even been to Detroit, unless you count passing through the airport. As for the rental, once I tried to find it online and map it, I was pretty blown away. Seminole street has some pretty homes (according to what I see online) or at least they were once nice, but appalling doesn't even come close to describing the area surrounding it.

The GPP house that I found is smaller than I would like since we'll be losing about 2000 sq. ft. from my current home. But the school seems great and the commute for my husband will be very short. Our other options are Birmingham, Bloomfield, Novi and Farmington. Those areas are nice but unfortunately, everything seems to go quickly. Mainly the good ones.

Indian Village is fine. These people are the standard negative nancys that have stopped all progress for decades. You just have to use private schools. And the homes are nice but very old so watch for big repair/HVAC bills. The community has a tennis club, basically it's own private school in the waldorf academy, a community garden, etc. see more: HISTORIC INDIAN VILLAGE - Detroit, Michigan

GPP is a great place for a family. My Fiancee and I live near Farmington's downtown since I work out on this side of town. It's nice but if I worked in or near downtown Detroit than GPP would definitely be on the shortlist of places I would want to live. I guess it depends on what you want out of a community, but GPP is very safe and the police are quick and efficient. That's not something I would be too concerned with.
//www.city-data.com/city/Grosse...-Michigan.html

The C-D crime index is less than 1/2 of the US average. For being next to some not great areas of Detroit I'd say that's pretty good.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
Indian Village is fine. These people are the standard negative nancys that have stopped all progress for decades.
The lack of progress in Detroit has nothing to do with "Negative Nancys".

Indian Village has low property values because it has horrible schools, few services and is unsafe. It's an island of architectural beauty in a sea of decay.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:03 PM

2,210 posts, read 3,496,129 times
As long as you can get past the crime, blight and horrific schools, Indian Village is a GREAT place to live.

What an entertaining day on C-D. The delusionists are out in full force today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit