Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 06:26 PM

30 posts, read 84,915 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a rental and came across a really nice home in GP Park. The landlord seems like a very nice person from what I can gather through phone calls and I have an appointment to meet with him once we arrive in Detroit next week. I like the GP school district and the assigned school, so everything seems to be great.

My issue: When looking at google and bing maps, four to five blocks east looks desolate and scary. The map shows abandoned homes with plywood coverings, plus it seems like several homes were probably knocked down. After looking even closer, it seems there is a canal diving Detroit from GP Park.

Is GP Park pretty safe? Looking at the crime data, there doesn't seem to be any major issues, but thought I would check with the people that actually live in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 06:52 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,872,433 times
Police presence is great, perhaps a little too good for some tastes. You might see a street urchin here and there, but considering how GPP is situated pretty much at the end of civilization (here and there that part of Detroit can be surprisingly nice) local law enforcement has a very good handle on things on the GP side. The Grosse Pointe News is the best source for crime information in the Pointes; get busted for spitting on the sidewalk and you'll make it in the paper. Car break-ins and an occasional burglary are, as far as I can tell, the worst of it, and it's worse closer to Mack Avenue than Jefferson.

Pretty safe area, all in all. Those first few streets in GPP have parking problems due to density. Make sure you have off-street parking available, if you care.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:04 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,237,819 times
In most cases "east of there" is either the water or deeper into GP. Sure you don't mean west or south?

Anyway the Pointes have somehow beyond all odds managed to stay beautiful for a very long time. I don't see any reason to think its going to change any time soon.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:20 PM

178 posts, read 282,594 times
GPP is safe, and nice. But you're right next to a very dangerous and desolate part of Detroit.

Personally, I wouldn't like to live in that sort of community. It would be very weird to have total devastation 2 blocks away, even if my block were safe and nice. I would feel a little bit "trapped" in an enclave.

But, if you decide to move there, you will be fine. The Pointes are still nice.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
In most cases "east of there" is either the water or deeper into GP. Sure you don't mean west or south?

Anyway the Pointes have somehow beyond all odds managed to stay beautiful for a very long time. I don't see any reason to think its going to change any time soon.
Oops....yes, I meant west.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:01 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,237,819 times
It sounds like you're coming from out of the area. Chances are the neighborhood itself is very safe.

Immediately to the west and south is the border of a very, very rough city. GPP is an anonomaly. You literally step over the city border in some instances and it goes from blight to upscale suburbia. It's very bizarre.

I'll leave it to east spiders to chime in in more detail but honestly if I was looking for a place to raise a family it would not be my first choice.

Even moving to the Woods would give you a nice geographic buffer.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:38 PM

For us, we only plan to be there one year, maybe two years. My husband's career requires a lot of transfers so we won't be staying in Michigan very long.

Unfortunately, rentals are very rare in any of the GP areas. If we were buying, we'd have a lot more options in that area, but since we aren't staying long, I don't want to lose money in a house when we would have to sell in less than 24 months.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:12 AM

465 posts, read 867,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tayrih View Post
For us, we only plan to be there one year, maybe two years. My husband's career requires a lot of transfers so we won't be staying in Michigan very long.

Unfortunately, rentals are very rare in any of the GP areas. If we were buying, we'd have a lot more options in that area, but since we aren't staying long, I don't want to lose money in a house when we would have to sell in less than 24 months.
There are lots of other nice suburbs in Metro Detroit where you don't have to live 2 blocks from the ghetto.

Maybe look in Oakland County, where you won't have such weird-juxtaposition areas, and where there are far more shops, restaurants and services. The Pointes are beautiful, but there isn't much there. If you want upscale shopping or nice restaurants, you will be headed to Oakland County anyways.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:06 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,252,694 times
Grosse Pointe public schools are in the top 5 for the state - and GPP feeds into GP South. Definitely your best bet. Top Michigan High Schools | Best High Schools | US News

Coupled with the scenery along Lakeshore Drive, the private public parks (open to GP residents only) and shopping along Kercheval - you'll love your two years in Michigan. Don't let the grass fields 5 blocks away scare you - grass fields are safer than crack houses. If you've found a house in that district - I'd pounce on it fast.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:15 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,469,839 times
Grosse Pointe schools are ranked 24th in the state based on test scores. Still very good - but not top 5 in the state. They used to be top 5 but have slipped in recent years.

Michigan State Districts - MI School District Rankings

Personally, I would not be very comfortable living within walking distance from the most violent city in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit