Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 09:44 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,114 times

Advertisements

Technically, Highland Park is not even part of the Detroit city limits. So why are we even having this discussion???

Old 05-15-2013, 01:38 AM

389 posts, read 470,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Yes. Everyone wants Detroit to be a mecca, no one wants to put the work in though. Let's just trash it on a web forum, because I'm fat, lazy and my life sucks.
Also it's not that simple, it will take more than pride to turn around the city, things have to be done to be proud of. My own aunt in Detroit loves living there, she has boltlocks on her doors and windows now due to past breakins. You aren't going to get too many people coming in droves due to the crime being at a different level than other cities. Not trying to trash the city at all just stating the truth.

The big question I would like anyone to answer is why would more young people come in droves to a place like Detroit as opposed to more going to the big 3 cities as things sit currently?

First of all people seem to view Michigan as a non interesting/slow state, not very innovative/forward thinking. Low taxes, cheap homes, good schools etc. That is good for suburbs here not neccessarily the city.

People that live here will no doubt say anywhere on the coast is expensive or even Chicago, but as a young person with no kids or anything tying you down it really isn't especially if you ditch the car. So having great transit, city services and basics, it either comes at the cost of higher taxes or having a strong economic engine.

I don't view it strictly as a Detroit issue because part of the facts is that our job base is now overseas. In essence it is an American problem for those who aren't the super wealthy. If I'm a CEO why would I pay American workers more when you can pay less for people who may even be more desperate for less? The answer is this is a business, it's pretty much how the country runs anyway.

People say young people choose the wrong career paths, well come on, not everyone wants/can become a lawyer/engineer/IT worker, and if they did... It'd increase competition amongst those fields and further dilute the importance of those fields(from a salary perspective).

Also I hear talks on the news about how the newer generations will have to be more creative, well that is not good, being creative isn't something you teach, people just are or aren't creative... Some people just work better when they are given task to do by a boss, and that same person may struggle if he had to create his own business or had to get creative in the arts/entertainment.

Last edited by weteath; 05-15-2013 at 01:51 AM..

Old 05-15-2013, 03:02 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,728,669 times

This thread has been derailed and will now be closed. I wish some day this forum will be able to handle long discussions without members getting too personal.
Closed.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit