Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 10:24 PM

406 posts, read 768,923 times

Advertisements

I am finally looking at apartments in the downtown area and am very frustrated because just about every building has a waiting lists. The ones who have available apartments have 1 or 2 available only. Plus its kind of pricey. Anyone know of any nice apartments in the area $700 max? (I know its pretty low but I don't mind smaller apartments until I can afford to move into a more pricey apartment)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 12:57 AM

389 posts, read 470,099 times
Man, whenever I look at real estate sites for apartments, the lowest they start at is 500 or 600 dollars for rent. I mean you could cut that in half by having a roomate or searching via room/share, but I'm gonna guess and say you want your own apartment fully...

I only say that because 5 or 600 between 700 bucks is a small window. Definitely a struggle to find that.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:42 AM

465 posts, read 872,666 times
$700 is fairly low rent, so I think you may have unrealistic expectations. You pay around that in some dumpy 60's garden style apartment complex in the suburbs.

And there are vacancies in many downtown buildings. A friend just moved into the Lafayette Park towers. There are definitely vacancies there, so check out Lafayette Park.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:45 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
To get into a good apartment downtown, you need to time it right. There are waiting lists for all the better apartment buildings and condos and some fill up as soon as they complete them. Find out what is coming up and get your name in. Millender center was recently purchased by Villiage Green and should be re-done soon. The Leeland may be redone as nice apartments in the near future. Given the demand for apartments and condos downtown I expect Gilbert will convert a building or two.

However 4700 s not realistic. Given the demand, prices are not going down any time soon. You might find a place in a dumpy low rise on the outskirts a bit for that or maybe a studio on a low level in a nicer building.

As your boss for a raise.

Good luck.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:44 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,848 times
Yea the vacancies in the downtown area are very low. I plan on moving down there after my promotion. But at this rate I may as well just wait until I transfer to WSU and use their dorms to bypass all the hassle.

You can try this site to help you out a little bit: D:hive Live | D:hive

Old 05-19-2013, 02:46 AM

406 posts, read 768,923 times
Thanks everyone. But I found a place. I'm moving to Indian Village. I only said $700 max because I didn't mean "downtown" and I know the near eastside and southwest and even some buildings in midtown have apartments for around that price (just wanted to point that out).

Old 05-19-2013, 08:20 PM

21,139 posts, read 19,714,475 times
I hope someone is planning on filling this demand for apartments. Gilbert, Illitch,...anyone?

Old 05-20-2013, 06:25 AM

465 posts, read 872,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I hope someone is planning on filling this demand for apartments. Gilbert, Illitch,...anyone?
There isn' really sufficient demand for new construction or renovation, at least not yet. And vacancies aren't that low from what I've heard. You hear landlords and downtown boosters claiming low vacancies, to try and create a stronger market. Yet still lots of apartments available downtown and midtown.

You'll notice that all the new renovations are using taxpayer dollars, and aren't based on regular market demand. If the market were really as strong as claimed, they wouldn't need taxpayer subsidies to renovate buildings.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:44 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,273,537 times
Thankfully market participants have noted the surging demand to live in midown and there are new apartment complexes in the works.

WSU's RFP to develop a 5-6 story midrise in due at the end of this month. Wayne State Construction : Curbed Detroit

Early this month another midrise development won approval for midtown right across from WSU. Midtown Swapping Pool of Stagnant Water for 103 Apartments - Renderings Revealed - Curbed Detroit

Woodward Gardens - another midrise in Midtown on Woodward is scheduled to open this year - and progress is moving along rapidly. Your Detroit weekend reading list: More than two headlines

The Auburn came online less than six months ago as another new midrise in midtown.

With the selection of the M1 light rail construction contract this week - "I hope they build it" shifts to when will it be done - which will spur even more economic development. http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...ve-the-station

PS - Indian Village is stunning. You did well!

Last edited by belleislerunner; 05-20-2013 at 07:08 AM..

Old 05-20-2013, 07:03 AM

21,139 posts, read 19,714,475 times
Thanks belleislandrunner, that's good to see. I was kind of under the same impression as PA Born. Guess I need to get out more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit