Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 02:23 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,942,497 times

Advertisements

South Lyon Real Estate & South Lyon MI Homes for Sale - Zillow

$234K - 2013 construction Green Oaks Twp, just across the county line from South Lyon
4 BD / 2 bath 2200 sq. ft

$299K - 2013 construction Canton, MI
4BD / 3 BA 2600 sq ft.

Macomb Township Real Estate & Macomb Township MI Homes for Sale - Zillow

$264K - 2013 construction Macomb, MI
3 BD / 3 BA 1900 sq ft

Birmingham Real Estate & Birmingham MI Homes for Sale - Zillow

$499K - 2013 construction
4BD / 5 BA 2700 sq ft (on a 4700 sq ft lot)

$649K - 2012 construction Birmingham, MI
3 BD / 2.5 BA 2600 sq ft (on a 6800 sq ft lot)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 02:40 PM

7 posts, read 12,863 times
wow! thanks for all the replies in the first place... yes we are sticking to novi & northville primarily because of schools and this is not too far away from work and other major activities.

We are in the market for a longtime and I have been doing a lot of driving around and anaylzing. I see my theory(new subs mean younger parents with younger kids) to be true at least for the new subs in the novi/northville area, in particular - church hill crossing, arcadia ridge, liberty park, island lakes of novi, bella terra of novi, kirkway estates, cheltenham(by thornton creek school) & etc. For reasons other than our toddlers, I see us parents liking subs aged approximately 20 years primarily between 10 mile and 6 mile road, but most of the kids there are teenagers. I have spoken to a few & they claim that school buses used to be full in those 20+ year neighborhoods even in smaller subs, but now everyone is at high school are done with school. And the playsets in older subs aren't necessarily indicative of younger children in my opinion because playsets seems to stay put for awhile even when not in use. Newer subs don't tend to have playset unless homeowners have younger children.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:52 PM

We are looking for under $500k with about 3000 Sq. Ft. I work in milford my wife works all along I-275 north of canton & southfield. We live in novi - for over a decade now, but our toddler needs an upgrade - our current home is 1500 sq ft and we have run out of space. Thanks again!

Old 05-23-2013, 02:59 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,942,497 times
Part of what you are seeing is related to economic growth/recession tied to the real estate market.

Novi experiences its building boom back in go-go, hey-day, SUV boom, life-was-good 1990s. Novi was the new frontier, and going through a building bonanza for much of that decade. Much of Novi was built-out by the early 2000s which is also when the local/state/national economy tanked in 2001. Michigan never really pulled out of that economic mess, and then of course the housing market fell off a cliff about 4-5 years ago.

Novi experienced rapid growth from a lot of younger familes during the 1990s, now 10-15-20 years later those little kids that used to play on all those swingsets are now in high school, college, or out on their own. The parents may still live there. Many are still working and not in a position to sell their houses or waiting for the market to recover.

Add in the fact the brain-drain in Michigan, the lack of job growth over much of the past decade there just have not been the influx of younger families into these not-as-new places like Novi. Plus, people are getting married later, and delaying having children and/or not necessarily as interested in suburban living.

I'm just saying I'm not surprised as many of those types of neighborhoods have not turned over much yet.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:29 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,003,279 times
There was just a recent article and the census estimates had places like Novi and Macomb Township as the fastest growing in the area with Detroit, Livonia and Taylor as the fastest declining.

1500 square feet is too small for a couple and one child? Gee whiz my 1300 square foot house has ample room. To think in the 60's-70's 3000 square feet was almost unheard of.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:58 PM

yeah 3000 square feet seems to be the new standard for an average family with 2 kids...

Old 05-23-2013, 04:09 PM

615 posts, read 1,391,968 times
One common thing to a lot of these posts is that many posters can't believe older adults would be buying McMansions and other homes in the outlying suburbs.

They do, quite often a condominium, but sometimes a much larger house.

For one thing, they tend to be paranoid of urban crime and assume "the further out, and newer, the safer".

Second (this I heard from a friend in the old neighborhood whose mother bought a condominium when she started becoming ill), they see an expensive house as a place to shelter their wealth from the medical-industrial complex. He said (I don't know if he was correct) that if one held money or securities, that one's assets could be seized to pay for expensive long-term medical care (i.e. multiyear nursing home stay) until their bank accounts/portfolios ran out, before Medicare would pick up the tab - but if all of grandma's money were used to buy a house, they could draw Medicare as soon as her pocket money ran out, and the children could inherit the McMansion, and cash it out upon the owner's death (I have always been skeptical of that - but if enough oldsters believed it to buy into it, the housing market is impacted nonetheless).

A lot of estates probably got burned by the 2008- housing bubble collapse (I personally know a pair of sisters who did).

Old 05-23-2013, 08:37 PM

178 posts, read 284,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313 TUxedo View Post
One common thing to a lot of these posts is that many posters can't believe older adults would be buying McMansions and other homes in the outlying suburbs.

They do, quite often a condominium, but sometimes a much larger house.
Of course some older couples buy McMansions, but it isn't the typical buyer.

It makes no sense for this demographic, because they're buying useless space, paying for schools and child-centered amenities they won't use, and moving away from family and friends in established neighborhoods.

I think the target market for Novi/South Lyon type McMansions is the 30-something buyer with kids. Yes, there are exceptions.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCity View Post
yeah 3000 square feet seems to be the new standard for an average family with 2 kids...
It's the standard in newer developments, but obviously the average family doesn't buy into these communities.

The average U.S. family has an household income of around 50k, so I don't think they're in the market for developments that are 300k, 400k, 500k and up.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post

$234K - 2013 construction Green Oaks Twp, just across the county line from South Lyon
4 BD / 2 bath 2200 sq. ft

$299K - 2013 construction Canton, MI
4BD / 3 BA 2600 sq ft.

Macomb Township Real Estate & Macomb Township MI Homes for Sale - Zillow

$264K - 2013 construction Macomb, MI
3 BD / 3 BA 1900 sq ft

$499K - 2013 construction
4BD / 5 BA 2700 sq ft (on a 4700 sq ft lot)

$649K - 2012 construction Birmingham, MI
3 BD / 2.5 BA 2600 sq ft (on a 6800 sq ft lot)
You're not really comparing similar places though. Birmingham is total outlier, and not comparable.

South Lyon means Lyon Twp, really, not Green Oak Twp., and Canton is nowhere near.

Macomb is the cheapest of the three.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit