Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 10:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,687 times

Advertisements

Sorry for a redundant thread, but can anyone give some advise for a move into a nice area within 30-45 minutes drive time from downtown Detroit? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 08:30 AM

21 posts, read 64,424 times
Western suburbs are ok like Plymouth, Novi, Canton, etc. North is ok also but traffic is slow also for Novi. The east side like Chesterfield, Richmond, etc is really bad for traffic and its not as scenic.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:48 AM

75 posts, read 266,784 times
Try Grosse Ile - its a suburb south of the city so traffic is less - quiet, clean, very safe, good schools etc

Old 12-04-2007, 08:54 PM

265 posts, read 1,190,699 times
I think most people would agree that you'll want to be in Oakland County, preferably south or west, for your commute. I agree that the East side (including Macomb County) is not the nicest. it is safe and relatively clean but probably not the preferred place to be. Check out your map. I live in Clawson & love it, great for families, middle class homes - very safe, low crime. Royal Oak (good for singles), Ferndale (gay friendly), Berkley and Pleasant Ridge are also nice and within a 30 minute drive downtown. Birmingham, Bloomfield, Franklin & Beverly Hills are close too, but overpriced, in my opinion. Those are the nicest, most upscale suburbs in the county though. Lots of lakes.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:35 PM

245 posts, read 881,252 times
Good commute time in Oak Park, Ferndale, Please Ridge or Berkley...and you will DEF find a great deal on a house now

Old 12-07-2007, 01:29 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
We love Grosse Ile. We chose it after a year of research and visits.

Great schools, terrific people, lots of architectural diversity in the houses, 20 miles from Detroit, no crime to speak of, deer in your yard, hawks or eagles overhead and water all around (it is an island).

The downside is that it is a small town with few stores and almost no nightlife. However you can cross the bridge to Woodhaven, Southgate, Taylor, Wyandotte, Trenton - or take a short drive up to Detroit.

My second vote would be for Plymouth, but that is a longer distance from Detroit (about 40- 45 minutes).
Nice thing about Plymouth is that you are also really close to Ann Arbor.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 12-07-2007 at 01:29 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 12-12-2007, 01:54 PM

7 posts, read 18,956 times
Commerce area is nice. Lived there for awhile. Very nice around the lakes, and the town of Milford is very quaint. Used to go to dinner alot there on the weekends.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:18 AM

143 posts, read 460,166 times
As you can see, there are a lot of great areas to live in around Detroit. It comes down to what you are looking for. Boating, fishing on weekends? Singles/ nightlife? There are even spots within the city that many find desirable. Tell more what you're looking for. You are getting replies from all over the area. I'm sure someone will connect and be able to guide you.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:48 AM

695 posts, read 3,410,289 times
Depending on your income, check out the western suburbs, Garden City, Westland, Livonia also. Pretty decent schools and less snobby than Oakland County. Lots of good shopping, etc as well. Can get a house like you get in Oakland County here for a lot less.

Also check out Downriver burbs if you're in this range. Wyandotte, Allen Park, Riverview, Trenton. Nice stuff here too.

All of these are very close to Downtown.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:09 AM

866 posts, read 4,257,455 times
It depends on what your budget is, some of the nice areas on the Eastside of the Metro area are the Grosse Pointes, St. Clair Shores, and Harrison twp (all which are known as boating cities).

Then there are your northern suburbs which include nice areas as Bloomfield Hills, Birmingham, Royal Oak, and the surronding areas. The only city I would avoid in the north is Pontiac.

The western suburbs also are very nice which include Novi, Northville, Plymouth, Canton.

The downriver (south) suburbs never really struck me as being very nice, although there are some nice areas downriver such as Grosse Ile, Trenton, Wyndotte. I would avoid River Rouge, Lincoln Park, Allen Park, not the nicest areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit