Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the Worst thing about Detroit?
Crime 87 45.55%
Decay 66 34.55%
Roads 14 7.33%
People (rudeness) 24 12.57%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 06:33 PM

695 posts, read 3,409,536 times
Maybe if Jennifer had done SOMETHING. She brought Google here. Okay wow. She thinks thats the greatest thing ever. It's like 5000 jobs over 5 years. Nothing at all. Drop in the bucket. Yet she still thinks that she's doing a great job. She has no strategy and it's appaling. It's certainly not her fault we got into this mess since she wasn't in office, I never said it was her fault, but she's truly doing nothing to fix it.

Old 05-24-2007, 03:26 AM

8,954 posts, read 4,269,633 times
Stay on topic, please. Political discussions belong elsewhere, including local.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:16 PM

106 posts, read 323,636 times
Listen to your mom.....maybe just do a weekend trip. Come see the Tigers play or maybe come down for a festival. I wouldn't move there. Pictures are deceiving.
God Bless,
Kim

Old 06-26-2007, 01:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,934 times
Default For the love of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
I've lived in the Detroit area my entire life and I hate it (I can't wait to move to Chicago, which is like Detroit, but incredibly different). Detroit is the most racist, segregated metropolitan area in the country. The burbs are extremely boring and cookie cutter and it seems as though most people in the area love complacency and hate minorities. The city itself is dirty and crime filled. HOWEVER, with that being said, Detroit (the city) still has a lot to offer. It has an underground, gritty scene as far as art, music, and overall lifestyle goes. There's more potential in Detroit than anywhere else in the country. Problem is, the people who live in the metro Detroit area. If you can kick out most of the people in the area and start all over again, every person in the world interested in urban development/planner/living, would flock here. But for now, life goes on in gloomy metro Detroit.

You're a completely pretentious inhabitant of academia's ivory towers, are you not? I urge you to spend not a day, but a few hours in the shoes of an average Detroit, much less one of their public servants. It sounds like you have everything figured out though. We suburbanites are just the moldly decay on the otherwise serene portrait of this region. You're right. We don't contribute, produce, or benefit the city, or the suburbs for that matter, in any way. We clog this tri-country region, and the midwest, with our pipe-dreams of peace, relative tranquility, and strong work ethic. Damn us. Damn us, damn us, damn us. Where did we go wrong? It must be our genetic predisposition to decency...the disgusting, putrid colour of our skin: white. Shame...shame upon us, our ancestors, and every community north of 8 Mile, west of Beech Daly, and east of Harper. Shame.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:35 AM

72,977 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowlandcook View Post
So we meet again! Good to see you are investigating other midwest cities too.

I was born and raised in Detroit and nothing would make me go back. My entire family still lives there--and in the burb. I visit often, but that's enough for me. Minneapolis (the other city danieltrue is researching) is by far superior. My spouse is from here and I love it.

Detroit is extrememly racist (especially African American vs. Euro [white] American). When a minority family moves into a neighborhood, the white families quickly put their houses up for sale and leave. Blacks hold the low wage jobs (cleaning hotel rooms, for example) while whites hold higher paying jobs (managing hotels). Detroit also has a lot of litter lining the streets, high poverty, high crime, an abundance of drugs (even in the suburbs).

In Mpls, blacks (and other minorities) and whites work and live side by side. We have a Hmong woman in state congress. I'm not going to say there aren't racist people in Mpls, but I can say there is far less racism than in Detroit (or anyplace in Michigan that I've lived). I am proud of that!

You can walk in downtown Mpls and not worry about being mugged, stabbed, or raped. People in Mpls often leave the keys in their cars (with the motor running) if they are just running into a store for a second. (They don't want their cars to get cold!) In Detroit, we locked the car doors the minute we got into the car so we wouldn't get jumped at a stop light.

Wow. I have been on Mpls sub-forum and there are people who constantly claim Mpls as crime-ridden. Obviously whoever said that hasn't been to Detroit. As for blacks and whites working together and living together, I am not surprised. It is indeed better than most places. Not perfect, but not Detroit either.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
You just now caught on that I'm racist? Most people are, it's just that most won't admit it. I've been open about it all along. I didn't start out with bad feelings toward blacks, I learned it from watching the ones I came in contact with, the one that make the newspapers, television, etc. They are the ones that influenced my opinion on them. I have no problem with racism. People like or dislike people based upon many different factors and race/color/religion are just one of them. I see it as no big deal, just one more thing to not like someone. Many people claim to not be racist because it's so taboo to admit it. But deep inside most of us are.

No, I agree white kids can be unruly, but I find black kids to be far more so. They have foul mouths, don't respect the law, the land or anything else. They are trouble.

I think I'll just stop responding to this cra p. We have to agree to disagree. You make excuses for the behavior of the blacks of Detroit (like saying they learned their bad behavior from people like me - not hardly). I say that the uneducated and low achieving blacks in Detroit are the ones making the city bad. Let's leave it at that.
What about the black kids who do read books and who aren't unruly? Are you going to judge them based on what you see from others?

Old 06-26-2007, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_true View Post
I am 17 years old, and have always had a fascination with Detroit. My mom doesn't want me to move there. I know there are nasty areas all over, but for some reason, I keep wanting to come to Detroit. I look at all the pictures of the decay and stuff, but I still want to come. Can anyone help me out? What are some good things about Detroit, and obviously the bad. Thanks.

Daniel True
TrueDaniel_G@hotmail.com

Detroit is a shell of its former glory. It was a city that grew prosperous from the automobile industry. A combination of multiple race riots, racial tensions, the closing of factories Detroit, along with total dependence on the automobile industry, and flight to the suburbs combined with no one wanting to live in Detroit have made the city a ghost of itself. Even Motown Records has moved away. Detroit could be revived again, but for now Detroit is not a place to move to. The only thing that it is good for now is very cheap houses. You can buy a house for less than a car in some places. However, it is not worth living in a place where crime and racial tensions, are so high

Old 06-26-2007, 10:30 AM

999 posts, read 4,526,781 times
Quote:
Shame...shame upon us, our ancestors, and every community north of 8 Mile, west of Beech Daly, and east of Harper. Shame.
My God!! If I live between Beech Daly and Wyoming, I'm not in The Suburbs anymore!!!! I'd better move, and quick!!

Old 06-26-2007, 12:30 PM

50 posts, read 230,950 times
Default Live nearby

Do what most people do and live in a safer, nicer area, then venture into certain parts of Detroit for the fun stuff. There are a few nice places to live in Detroit, but at 17 they are probably out of your price range and not a good investment.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:06 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,197,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athletesfoot View Post
Do what most people do and live in a safer, nicer area, then venture into certain parts of Detroit for the fun stuff. There are a few nice places to live in Detroit, but at 17 they are probably out of your price range and not a good investment.
Exactly right on. Live in the burbs and visit the D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit