U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2013, 03:49 PM

7 posts, read 60,784 times

Advertisements

I just recently graduated college and have been offered an interview there after submitting an application. I've done some google searches on the company it seems a bit sketchy. Anyone here have any experience with them?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 07:39 AM

1,648 posts, read 2,952,898 times
You submitted an application to a company. Based on your free will. What is your litmus test for determining which companies are sketchy or not? DBC is a direct marketing company. If you like marketing and sales - great. If not, move on. This question has nothing to do with DBC but what you want to do in a job.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:02 AM

7 posts, read 60,784 times
At first I read your comment and perceived it as rude or sarcastic (which it might be?). However, you are right, I did submit the application on my own free will. As I mentioned earlier, I did a few google searches and some of the results were rather unpleasant. I am not familiar with the company, nor do I even live in Detroit which is why I asked people who live there what experience or knowledge they have about the company. I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:56 AM

There is nothing wrong with asking - my point was that the only people who are going to be posting on a website about a company are the negative nellies. Positive people aren't going to waste time fanning their admiration on places like glass door etc. Go to the interview. It's just as much a chance for you to interview them as it is for them to interview you. No one says you have to take the job - and just going through the interview process will make you that much more prepared for the next interview. Or you could interview and fall in love with the place. Or it could confirm the internet rumors. The fun part is you're the judge. Think of your role as a spy (agent 007) and sleuthing to see what the work culture is like, do the people seem fun, do you want to work 60+ hrs with those people if you have to. There are no bad jobs. Only people who are happy in them or people who are not.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:15 AM

8,885 posts, read 18,565,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starocean View Post
I just recently graduated college and have been offered an interview there after submitting an application. I've done some google searches on the company it seems a bit sketchy. Anyone here have any experience with them?
Hope you like sales, a lot. It looks like your typical direct sales and marketing company: hire a lot of young college grads, mostly ex-fraternity/sorority members, make the workplace cool, put them on the phone booking sales appointments and going on sales calls all day every day, pump them up with happy hours, golf events, national conferences, churn em and burn em.

You might be selling everything from DISH network to those entertainment books.

The music on their website is fancy:

Detroit Business Consulting

Good luck. You might enjoy it for a couple of years.

Oh yeah, and stay away from any job that is touting "sports marketing" or "entertainment marketing." That definitely means selling coupons to Pistons games or Fox Theatre tickets. Or where they want you to come in for a group interview. Good luck!

Old 06-25-2013, 07:10 PM

7,237 posts, read 11,869,353 times
It's a Multi-Level Marketing scheme, in the same vein as Vector Marketing/Cutco Knives.

Stay far away.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:04 AM

8,885 posts, read 18,565,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
It's a Multi-Level Marketing scheme, in the same vein as Vector Marketing/Cutco Knives.

Stay far away.
Cutco Knives, LOL.

I can recall many years ago going to an "interview" for Cutco. Another time, I went for an interview for "global telecommunications" sales. Turned out to be selling the old big satellite dishes to mainly country bumpkins.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:34 AM

95 posts, read 226,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
The music on their website is fancy
Which, in itself, might be a sign to stay away. Nowadays (and perhaps for the last ten years), it has been a faux pas to have background music on one's website.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:53 AM

I sold Cutco knives and Kirby vacuums through college. Never had an issue with either since I enjoyed sales. If you don't like sales - none of these jobs are for you. A Kirby cost around $1,600 and you, as the salesman, got $400 each time you sold one - which was pretty good when my friends were at Starbucks, BWWs, malls etc. Sell 3 a week and you were bringing home $1,200/week. I find their "positive thoughts" mantra/training to actually be helpful to other areas of life - even though I've long since left sales.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:37 PM

7,237 posts, read 11,869,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
I sold Cutco knives and Kirby vacuums through college. Never had an issue with either since I enjoyed sales.
I'm glad it worked out for you, but most people's experience is nothing like yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: