Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 08:07 AM

69 posts, read 83,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLAL View Post
Thanks! As of now, Berkley and Rochester/Hills and WB are our top. We still have a year to do our research and make our decision.
IMO those are three very different communities, so the choice should be easy.

Berkley is "small town America", little bungalow homes with a small downtown. Middle class (nothing fancy or crappy) and a small town vibe. Above average schools but schools are perhaps slipping a tiny bit. City proper has almost no diversity, but schools are very diverse (because schools include Oak Park, which is majority nonwhite).

Rochester Hills is "sprawlburbia". Upper middle class, bigger homes, kind of fancy in parts, but not really hoity-toity like Bloomfield-Birmingham. A bit of keeping up with the Jones'. Excellent schools, and probably only getting stronger. Proximity to some nice wooded trails and parks, and hilly in parts (rare for SE MI). Don't move here if you hate McMansions.

West Bloomfield is basically older 1970's/1980's "sprawlburbia". Very fancy in parts, so-so in other parts. Schools are good, but declining. Extremely diverse, both in township population and schools. Considered the Jewish center of Metro Detroit. Also very fast growing African American population. Lots of lakes and trees. Not as fancy as Bloomfield Hills or Bloomfield Township, and kind of considered "separate" from the real Bloomfields. Traffic sucks on Orchard Lake.

Based on what you've stated as preferences, I would go with an older community in Rochester Hills, closer to downtown Rochester.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 09:05 AM

12 posts, read 37,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post
You need to check boundary lines for the schools though. Rochester schools are better than Avondale. However, South of 59 is where you get more bang for your housing dollar. However, Rochester schools is not a school choice district (FYI). So, you can't move into Avondale district (where housing is cheaper), then decide you want a spot in Rochester schools.

Avondale district covers parts of Troy/Auburn Hills/Pontiac/Rochester Hills.
For the record, Avondale school district does not cover any of Pontiac. It covers Troy, Rochester Hills, Auburn Hills, and Bloomfield Township. Here is a copy of the district map:

http://avondale.mi.schoolwebpages.co...NoXzcwNy5wZGY=

Some Pontiac kids might go there because they allow a certain number of kids from other districts in because it is school of choice, but that's it.
I'm not sure why parents get so fanatical about school districts. As long as your child is of normal intelligence, they will succeed in any middle-class school district. I grew up in a small middle-class town in Lapeer county called Dryden (technically I lived in Dryden township) and attended a school district that was fine but it wasn't "the best." It actually ranks at a 6/10 on greatschools.org, while Avondale ranks at a 8/10. Somehow my sister and I pulled through and managed to survive our lower-ranked school district and earn Bachelor's degrees. I had always heard other people put down Dryden schools growing up, but lo and behold, when I attended college and had to peer-edit essays of classmates who attended "great schools," I was shocked by how horrible many of them were and how they didn't understand the basics of writing. What I'm trying to say is, as long as you have a reasonably smart child, they will succeed in whatever school district you put them in.

To the OP: I think you will be happiest in Rochester Hills. You can live in a newer house and still be close enough to consider Rochester proper your downtown. The downsides are the commute would be longish and it might be difficult to find what you are looking for in your price range.

Last edited by summerintheciy; 06-28-2013 at 09:34 AM..

Old 06-28-2013, 09:40 AM

13 posts, read 23,760 times
Thanks. This helps a lot. The more feed back we are getting, Rochester Hills seems to fit our needs/wants the most. Can you tell me the difference between Rochester and Rochester Hills. We are not familiar with any of these areas down there, so this is all quite helpful.

Another question off topic...I am new to this. How to I "Quote" a feedback to respond to that person?

Also, we may be thinking of renting prior to our one year, just to get us closer sooner and to give us time to see what we really like. Any suggestions in the Rochester Hills area or elsewhere that anyone could recommend? We would need a 3 bedroom.

Last edited by Yac; 07-01-2013 at 04:42 AM.. Reason: 3 posts in a row merged

Old 06-28-2013, 09:55 AM

Rochester proper has more of an small-town, old-timey feel to it. It has a cute downtown and the houses are historical. Rochester Hills has the newer homes, larger lots, and more nature areas. Both are equally nice, so it really comes down to personal preference. Would you rather live in a beautiful old home in a quaint downtown area, or would you rather live in a new home, on a larger lot, and drive 5 minutes to get to town? Basically, Rochester is historic small town, and Rochester Hills is its suburban counterpart.

Last edited by summerintheciy; 06-28-2013 at 10:03 AM..

Old 06-28-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerintheciy View Post
Rochester proper has more of an small-town, old-timey feel to it. It has a cute downtown and the houses are historical. Rochester Hills has the newer homes, larger lots, and more nature areas. Both are equally nice, so it really comes down to personal preference. Would you rather live in a beautiful old home in a quaint downtown area, or would you rather live in a new home, on a larger lot, and drive 5 minutes to get to town? Basically, Rochester is historic small town, and Rochester Hills is its suburban counterpart.
What about Sterling Heights as an option?

Old 06-28-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irapuato100 View Post
IMO those are three very different communities, so the choice should be easy.

Berkley is "small town America", little bungalow homes with a small downtown. Middle class (nothing fancy or crappy) and a small town vibe. Above average schools but schools are perhaps slipping a tiny bit. City proper has almost no diversity, but schools are very diverse (because schools include Oak Park, which is majority nonwhite).

Rochester Hills is "sprawlburbia". Upper middle class, bigger homes, kind of fancy in parts, but not really hoity-toity like Bloomfield-Birmingham. A bit of keeping up with the Jones'. Excellent schools, and probably only getting stronger. Proximity to some nice wooded trails and parks, and hilly in parts (rare for SE MI). Don't move here if you hate McMansions.

West Bloomfield is basically older 1970's/1980's "sprawlburbia". Very fancy in parts, so-so in other parts. Schools are good, but declining. Extremely diverse, both in township population and schools. Considered the Jewish center of Metro Detroit. Also very fast growing African American population. Lots of lakes and trees. Not as fancy as Bloomfield Hills or Bloomfield Township, and kind of considered "separate" from the real Bloomfields. Traffic sucks on Orchard Lake.

Based on what you've stated as preferences, I would go with an older community in Rochester Hills, closer to downtown Rochester.
What about Sterling Heights? Amd how do these all fair for commute to Detroit? Where would you live given all scenerios? Also, my budget may be off my husband and I make six figures. Low six figures. So idk what that would get us. Thanks for you help and thoughts.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
What about Sterling Heights as an option?
Sterling Heights is not as scenic and pretty as the Rochester area, but it is still nice. In Sterling Heights, you can get a bigger house for less money. The commute time would probably be comparable, depending where in Detroit your husband's job is and how close your home is to an expressway on-ramp. Troy borders Rochester Hills and Sterling Heights and is definitely nicer and more scenic, however it will cost more. With your income, though, I think you could find something in Rochester or Troy.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:43 AM

Also, if you are considering outside of Oakland County, I would suggest a closer look at the Grosse Pointes. They have shortest commute to downtown Detroit you will find, beautiful homes, waterfront resident-only parks, good schools, and cute downtown areas. Prices are comparable to Troy and Rochester. Most homes were built pre-1950s, though.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerintheciy View Post
Also, if you are considering outside of Oakland County, I would suggest a closer look at the Grosse Pointes. They have shortest commute to downtown Detroit you will find, beautiful homes, waterfront resident-only parks, good schools, and cute downtown areas. Prices are comparable to Troy and Rochester. Most homes were built pre-1950s, though.
I did think about that area too. However, from reading post on this forum, I have read that there is not a place to eat or shop and that in order to find a restaurant or shopping mall you have to drive elsewhere. But it is also on the list. We honestly just need to take a day and go take a drive to all of our cities on our list and see. But this is all so helpful and will play a role in our decicion making as well. Nothing like personal opinions.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:39 PM

69 posts, read 83,168 times
Quote:
What about Sterling Heights? Amd how do these all fair for commute to Detroit? Where would you live given all scenerios? Also, my budget may be off my husband and I make six figures. Low six figures. So idk what that would get us. Thanks for you help and thoughts.
IMO Sterling Heights is not super-nice. It's fine and all, but flat, few trees, and kind of featureless. It doesn't compare to Rochester Hills. Schools aren't as good, stores aren't as nice, and not as affluent.

It's middle-middle class, and not really new suburbia or older suburbia. It's kind of in-the-middle suburbia. Perfectly fine, but not an "aspirational" community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit