Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 12:43 PM

89 posts, read 194,295 times

Advertisements

Like a lot of previous posters, I think Rochester/Rochester Hills will make a lot of your requirements. But, like you said yourself, I think the best bet is just to come visit and see the area. Take a day or two, scout some areas out, walk around and see where you feel at home.

Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 07:36 AM

809 posts, read 2,410,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irapuato100 View Post
I'll take your word for it, but that's strange to me. Eastern Market is only open a few hours a week, and the Midtown Whole Foods is tiny. And both are about 30 minutes from the Pointes. Neither seem very convenient for daily grocery needs.

In contrast, if you live in a nice Oakland County community, you will only be 5-10 minutes from a wide variety of upscale grocers. If you live in Birmingham, you will be 5-10 minutes from Papa Joes, three Krogers (two of them gourmet), a Whole Foods, a Plum Market, and Trader Joes (as well as many mini food venues, like a French bakery/patisserie). Meijer, WalMart and Target are all within 10 minutes, too.

I'm not aware of any upscale markets in the Pointes. The Kroger in the Village is quite small and a "regular" Krogers, and there's a Trader Joes.

I actually prefer the Pointes in terms of "feel", but way to isolated for me. I'll take the sprawl in OC in exchange for convenience to work, friends, and daily needs.

In some ways I really think Grosse Pointers do it to themselves. They won't go to the target at eastland. They probably wouldn't dare shop at the walmart in Roseville, etc. It's not like they don't have these things available to them out in southern macomb county, it's just they don't go there.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:32 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
In some ways I really think Grosse Pointers do it to themselves. They won't go to the target at eastland. They probably wouldn't dare shop at the walmart in Roseville, etc. It's not like they don't have these things available to them out in southern macomb county, it's just they don't go there.
Agreed. There are PLENTY of places for them to grocery shopping in southern Macomb county.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:41 AM

1,900 posts, read 5,906,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
Agreed. There are PLENTY of places for them to grocery shopping in southern Macomb county.
Yeah, but nothing really special. There's a Nino's on Harper, but it's small and not nearly as nice as the others. South Macomb is good for Aldi and Valuland and that's about it. Some of the Krogers are good, some not as good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
Heck, I almost never venture into the Roachville Wal*Mart. That place is hell on earth. (The Super K Mart down the road isn't much better, and there I've been accosted in the parking lot more than once by people supposedly wanting to use my phone.) If I do go to Evil*Mart, I go to the one in Chesterfield Township. They don't check your receipt on the way out and assume you're shoplifting.

There are places GPers will go to shop in South Macomb, though. The Eastpointe Aldi (go figure, but there's often a car or two in the lot with some sort of GP insignia on it, and GPers are nothing if not cheap), and Costco.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:17 AM

37 posts, read 61,569 times
RLAL-
I live on the northern border of Troy; Rochester & RH are north of me. I work in Midtown (West Grand Blvd/Lodge/75) and I'll tell your husband-- th commute is minimum 45min of a$$hat hell. Just sayin'.

Perhaps you should also look at Pleasant Ridge- everything you want in housing, on the Woodward strip for every activity, easy access to all directions, and will easily cut 30 min off the commute into the D.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:49 AM

915 posts, read 1,505,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irapuato100 View Post
The Pointes are really, really beautiful, but far from everything, unless you work in downtown Detroit. There's no upscale shopping, no fancy grocery options, and few restaurants. If you live there, you will make the trek to Oakland County for shopping, dining, and going out.
If you wanted you could easily shop in St. Clair Shores, Roseville, Harper Woods, Eastpointe, Clinton Twp....

No need to make a trek to Oakland County.

One of the main reasons we moved back to Oakland County was because it is a lot closer to the things and places we like to go. It's more central. However, if you are working in Dwtn Detroit, the Pointes would be an easy commute.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:08 AM

517 posts, read 678,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post
If you wanted you could easily shop in St. Clair Shores, Roseville, Harper Woods, Eastpointe, Clinton Twp....

No need to make a trek to Oakland County.

One of the main reasons we moved back to Oakland County was because it is a lot closer to the things and places we like to go. It's more central. However, if you are working in Dwtn Detroit, the Pointes would be an easy commute.
Of course you could shop in those communities, but the issue is the type of stores.

Upper income folks want nice malls, nice furniture stores, nice restaurants, etc. Generally speaking, that stuff isn't available around the Pointes.

There's no JCrew, no Restoration Hardware, no Saks, few upscale restaurants, etc. This matters to many people.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:43 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,114 times
I couldn't imagine going up and down 75 everyday during rush hour. Especially from Rochester Hills. And that's in perfect weather. Let's not even discuss the fact that this is Michigan, a state with the type of weather that can turn a 45 minute commute into a 2 hour commute easy.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:17 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
do people really shop at more than one grocery store? everywhere we have lived we pretty much shopped at one grocery store even in places where there were dozens. I cannot imagine needing to be near more than one good grocery store.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:18 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,941,577 times
I think you are going to have to compromise somewhere on your requirements.

In Metro Detroit, in the current real estate market, it will be extremely difficult to find something that is:
- Newer construction / newly renovated
- More than 2000 sq ft / 4 BD
- Walking distance to a downtown area
- Good schools
- Less than 30 minutes to downtown Detroit
- Around $215K

Its basic supply and demand, as there are many others seeking the same attributes, so the biggest sticking point will be price. There is not going to be much that meets all of the above for $215K. If you are willing to have a longer commute, smaller space, or older construction maybe.

As someone who has been closely looking for an opportunity to buy, the inventory of good homes that meet these requirements is extremely low. Stuff that is out there, or seems to be a deal often is either out-dated or needs a lot of work.

You are looking in the right direction at areas that come close to meeting your requirements. Rochester / Rochester Hills in areas might work, but you are looking at least at a 45 minute commute. Grosse Pointe is a good choice and the closest to downtown.
Pleasant Ridge & Berkley are good choices although older construction, you could find something that might have been heavily remodeled/expanded.

Another thing to consider is that school districts may not always align with municipal boundaries. In particular Birmingham, Bloomfield Hills often overlap into other communities. Portions on the edges of Troy also go to surrounding school districts. You could find something within walking/biking distance to downtown Birmingham for example but the actual address may be Troy, Beverly Hills, or Bloomfield Township.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit