Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2013, 09:50 AM

26 posts, read 90,472 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
I have been offered a job in Ferndale. We have twin boys who are both on the autism spectrum (aspergers). They will be starting 4th grade. Having lived in a few different states, I know each handles special education differently.

I was looking for some information on how the districts in the suburbs approach special ed. Are there charter schools for autism? Is the best bet looking at a private school? Do some districts have better reputations when it comes to ASD education than others? Are there any tax credits or vouchers available to help with a private school tuition?

My guys currently are in a mainstream class room, but pulled out for academics.

This post is step one of my information gathering mission, so any information will be appreciated.

Thx!

Jason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 10:50 AM

915 posts, read 1,504,984 times
I don't know about Ferndale, specifically, but I can tell you that Oakland County ISD is great about coordinating with the public schools regarding special ed. A lot better than Macomb ISD. A friend has two boys on the ASD specturm in that county and getting the right services has been a lot more than difficult. She spent most of the year fighting to get her oldest into an ASD classroom and still hasn't gotten him into an appropriate class.

From what I understand, some districts have ASD specific classrooms, but, again, I don't know much about it. While my son receives special ed services, he's not autistic.

Every school district is different. My son has apraxia (speech-disorder) and we've had no problems up here in Rochester Community schools with the process. The teachers/paras bend over backwards to address your concerns. No problems with IEPs or teachers making fun of the kid, etc......

I have a friend who's has kids in Avondale and they've had a hard time getting admin/teachers to respond to their concerns/needs. Like I said, I don't know specifically about Ferndale.

I know that Eton in B'ham is specifically targeted for special needs kids, but it's also uber-expensive.

Our son is going to be in a mainstream classroom next fall.

Wish I could be more helpful. Have you checked out Ferndale's website? They might have some info on there.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:49 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
I hope you are also looking for OT and ABA resources in the area. They have good ones there, but of course it all depends on what your insurance covers and whether the agencies take it. If in doubt, call Community Mental Health (the referral-central agency in Oakland County is Common Ground -- For information call: 248-874-1282 ext. 6100 or 6201. - See more at: Street Outreach Program - Common Ground | Common Ground) and they can direct you. they also have case managers who can advocate for the kids' needs if you are having trouble navigating the system.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:54 PM

26 posts, read 90,472 times
Thanks for the replies...

SnooyGirl...Rochester was actually one of communities we are going to take a look at if we end up making the move, so your input was very helpful.

Cliffie...Thank you for the tip. We stuggled with our last move because the services outlined in the IEP from our previous state didn't match up with what the current state offered. Some things were just a matter of semantics/terminology. We are going to be a lot smarter about it this time.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:35 PM

915 posts, read 1,504,984 times
Oh - that reminds me that MI recently passed autism insurance coverage. Treatment has to be covered by insurance.

As for services, there are a lot of resources in the community for autism.

A few: Kaufman's Children's Center; Friendship Circle; Judson Center. These are in Oakland County. Apparently, there aren't any autism-specific clinics in Macomb County. (My friend who lives in Macomb is sick of having to drive to Oakland County for services!) I'm not familiar with Wayne, Livingston or Monroe, so I can't comment on those.

I was specifically thrilled when I found Sensory Friendly Films at AMC Theatres - In Partnership with the Autism Society (in conjunction with the autism society). There are a few theaters in the area that have this program.

And Oakland University has some sort of summer program for autistic kids too. I don't know the details, but I totally understand about wanting to know what services are available for your kids before you move.

We are going to be househunting soon and we specifically don't want to leave the Rochester School district because of the quality of services our son has gotten. I was totally shocked when I found out that my son's special ed teacher went to help a parent with getting her son a haircut. I've heard of dedicated teachers, but wow - that's something that I never thought the teachers would help with. They just go above and beyond to help their students through their challenges.

Good luck Jason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit