U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2013, 01:06 PM

3,832 posts, read 5,758,114 times

Advertisements

I have a couple of interviews on Wednesday and they are a few hours apart, so I will have some time to kill. I figured I could check out a few apartments in my downtime just in case I get the job.
The interview is in Woodhaven. I don't know the area at all- anything south of 96 is foreign to me! What areas are OK and what should I avoid?
Ideally, I'd like to stay within 15-20 minutes of my job. I'd rather not go farther south, since my family is in the Flint area. I know Woodhaven and Brownstown are pretty nice, and I know Inkster is to be avoided. If my memory serves me, Taylor can be hit and miss, right? Just some general guidelines would be helpful so that I can figure out what apartments to look at.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 01:28 PM

21,093 posts, read 25,611,687 times
Taylor-tucky is probably best avoided. I would look at Woodhaven along West Road Between Telegraph and Hall Road. Also Trenton.

I would avoid Flatrock (maybe closer to I 75 is better?), Brownstown (Can be ok in the right places. NOT along Telegraph)and Romulus (most anywhere is probably not what you want).

Old 07-22-2013, 01:33 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,311,118 times
Wyandotte is nice too.

Grosse Ile, although I'll leave that to a famous poster on here to go into more detail since I've only been out there exactly once

Old 07-22-2013, 02:56 PM

And OH...welcome back from North Carolina!!

Old 07-22-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
Wyandotte is nice too.

Grosse Ile, although I'll leave that to a famous poster on here to go into more detail since I've only been out there exactly once
Can a teacher afford a place on Grosse Ile?

Old 07-22-2013, 05:57 PM

28,928 posts, read 68,925,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Can a teacher afford a place on Grosse Ile?
Depends on who they are married to.

(jk).

There are a few teachers living in Grosse Ile. It is actually mostly the big homes around the outside of the islands that are so expensive. There are some affordable places, depending on your concept of affordable.

If you are young and single, I would not recommend paying the premium for Grosse Ile (unless you really want quiet and safe - maybury like place to live). If you cannot afford to live on the water or do not have kids or are not retired, GI does not have as much to offer for you.

Wyandotte is cheaper and has a fun downtown. Wyandotte schools are not great and the crime rate is considerably higher, but, the downtown is fun and even has a bit of nightlife as well as some great street fair parties. I would not bother with Wyandotte unless you can walk downtown.

Trenton is smaller but also nice. Not as fun as Wyandotte, but it has a cute little downtown with not much in in it. A few great restaurants (we really like like the Roundhouse barbeque). Plus it is very close to wyandotte. It is quieter, a little bit safer and has better schools. There are some apartments right on the edge of Elizabeth park and downtown Trenton which would be a pretty neat location.

Woodhaven is nice clean newer suburbia. Lots of big chain stores. That is where many of the downriver residents go to shop. It is centrally located. Schools are decent. Crime rates are not bad.

Riverview and Southgate are similar to Woohaven. Suburbia. Not bad, nothing special, just a decent place to live.

Allen Park is older. It has a downtown, but it is a bit run down. Not horrible, just aged and not entirely maintained. A lot of music shops and a $1.50 second run movie theater. Cheaper than other places.

Ecorse, River Rouge, Melvindale - no point in discussing. Not where you want to go unless you are really really broke. You can probably toss taylor into that mix as well. Taylor is a bit better in most places, but just as bad in some parts. Taylor is just one of those places there is no reason to go there unless you simply cannot afford somewhere nicer.

Browstown is weird. It is scatted in disconnected parts all over downriver. It is impossible to describe because it encompasses several different and distant areas.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
And OH...welcome back from North Carolina!!
Thanks. Not 100% sure where I will land yet- I have an offer in Flint, an interview in Woodhaven, and another interview in Utica. Hoping for Utica!

(Regardless, I can't take the low pay and higher cost of living anymore!)

Old 07-22-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Depends on who they are married to.

(jk).

There are a few teachers living in Grosse Ile. It is actually mostly the big homes around the outside of the islands that are so expensive. There are some affordable places, depending on your concept of affordable.

If you are young and single, I would not recommend paying the premium for Grosse Ile (unless you really want quiet and safe - maybury like place to live). If you cannot afford to live on the water or do not have kids or are not retired, GI does not have as much to offer for you.

Wyandotte is cheaper and has a fun downtown. Wyandotte schools are not great and the crime rate is considerably higher, but, the downtown is fun and even has a bit of nightlife as well as some great street fair parties. I would not bother with Wyandotte unless you can walk downtown.

Trenton is smaller but also nice. Not as fun as Wyandotte, but it has a cute little downtown with not much in in it. A few great restaurants (we really like like the Roundhouse barbeque). Plus it is very close to wyandotte. It is quieter, a little bit safer and has better schools. There are some apartments right on the edge of Elizabeth park and downtown Trenton which would be a pretty neat location.

Woodhaven is nice clean newer suburbia. Lots of big chain stores. That is where many of the downriver residents go to shop. It is centrally located. Schools are decent. Crime rates are not bad.

Riverview and Southgate are similar to Woohaven. Suburbia. Not bad, nothing special, just a decent place to live.

Allen Park is older. It has a downtown, but it is a bit run down. Not horrible, just aged and not entirely maintained. A lot of music shops and a $1.50 second run movie theater. Cheaper than other places.

Ecorse, River Rouge, Melvindale - no point in discussing. Not where you want to go unless you are really really broke. You can probably toss taylor into that mix as well. Taylor is a bit better in most places, but just as bad in some parts. Taylor is just one of those places there is no reason to go there unless you simply cannot afford somewhere nicer.

Browstown is weird. It is scatted in disconnected parts all over downriver. It is impossible to describe because it encompasses several different and distant areas.
30 and unmarried here. I'm a suburban girl at heart- can't stand being in the middle of nowhere, but I also despise huge crowds and traffic. I'm coming back 'home' with about $6K in credit card debt AFTER the sale of my home, so I'll be looking to keep costs down for the first year to shovel myself back out. Thanks for all the information- it is helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit