Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 11:38 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,885,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Are you referring to people who live within the city limits, or do you count those from the surrounding cities as Detroiters? And you say you know of many. How many is that? 10? 20? 30? Not trying to be confrontational here, just saying that the city is quite large. Do you think the vast majority of Detroiters can afford to spend money on a Lions' game or Tigers' game?

Maybe I'm wrong. I am only reasoning that a city with so many poor people probably have few people who can afford to go to an event that runs anywhere from $40 to a couple hundred dollars.
I'm referring to city limits. But just because someone may be considered poor doesn't mean they can't go out and enjoy themselves. I'm a shift manager trainee (not even a full blown manager yet) at my job and a college student who receives no type of assistance or loans except for my scholarship. Plus I'm 19 so my insurance is sky high. I am considered to be below the poverty line by national standards but I go out and spend money all the time. I have a closet full of name brand clothes, go out to the movies, clubs, restaurants, ect on a regular basis. I may not be able to do this all the time, but most times it is no problem. The only difference is I just have to be warned ahead of time if it's too expensive. It's all about managing your money. I blew $1,200 in Vegas last year for vacation and that was before my second promotion.

Another thing you have to consider is, less than half of Detroit is actually considered poor. The other 60% is not considered poor, 60% in a city of 700,000 could roughly be it's own majorish city. I also know from personal experience that ALOT of Detroiters (many who are even considered unemployed) make money under the table. Not to many people claim money on their taxes if they don't have to. I sure as hell didn't whenever I made money on the side. And trust me, that money is not always the chump change you may think it is.

BTW, $40- $100 for something you do every once in a while is nothing. I put $50 in my gas tank every WEEK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 11:50 AM

130 posts, read 240,751 times
Can't wait, Go Wings!!!

Old 07-30-2013, 02:08 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,272,461 times
Saw this comment earlier today and it cracked me up. Touche. (In full disclosure, I think the new stadium is a great idea to getting rid of some vacant Midtown land).

"Somebody asks downtown businessmen for a dollar and he's a nuisance. Mike Illitch asks for hundreds of millions of dollards and he's a job-creator."

Old 07-30-2013, 04:43 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,277,550 times
I don't know why people use the term 'job creator' so derisively. Yes, the entire private sector is based on capitalism.

Imagine how many jobs the stadium will create. At least hundreds, by itself, and potentially many more by proxy.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:49 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,849,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Taxpayers will be paying almost two-thirds of the cost of the arena -- $283 million -- and private developers will cover the rest. Including interest, it's projected that there will be a total of $444 million in taxpayer funds spent on the project

CNN Article
"Taxpayers" being downtown businesses who reside in the Downtown Development Authority boundaries, who will pay a portion of property taxes from improvements (increased millage). Like General Motors, Rock Financial, Chrysler, etc..

The arena project isn't being funded by households.

$650M hockey arena district moves forward | The Detroit News

You have to dig into the gist of the project to get the real story. All the media outlets are sending out misleading headlines because it grabs attention "bankrupt city to spend taxpayer dollars on arena." Most of the reporters still clinging on to their jobs don't understand DDA financing, bonds, nada. Bonds are sold on the market to investors, which helps to build large-scale municipal projects. Anyone know what Detroit's Moody's bond rating is? That might affect the bond issuance and what investors can expect in returns.

But otherwise, business owners and executives love sports teams, particularly boxes and sponsorships and entertaining clients. If it draws continued investment into the city, and is designed to be a year-round development and not something that closes up for months on end, then it will be good for Midtown/Detroit.

Otherwise, mom and dad out on Dequindre are not going to see property taxes go toward this project.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:17 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,932,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
I don't know why people use the term 'job creator' so derisively. Yes, the entire private sector is based on capitalism.

Imagine how many jobs the stadium will create. At least hundreds, by itself, and potentially many more by proxy.
The term "job creator" is not derisive unless it is misused. It was devised as a political label designed to promote trickle-down economics - not capitalism.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 07-30-2013 at 09:41 PM..

Old 07-31-2013, 09:00 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,805,566 times
As someone who doesn't live in Michigan, I shouldn't let it get under my skin.
I suppose the deal is a fait accompli. My guess is Mr. Illich has influence with both Democrats and Republicans up there.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:40 AM

406 posts, read 768,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I wonder how many Detroiters actually go to Red Wing games? Seems to me these stadiums that are built in Detroit are more of a benefit to suburbanites than Detroiters. It keeps the congestion and drunks downtown and out of the suburbs. The suburbs don't have to pay for the new infrastructure (roads, sewers and such). The suburbs don't have to pay for the added police protection. The suburbs don't have to pay for the demolition when the stadiums become "outdated" in a few years.
its no secret that "real Detroiters" aka black people aren't really known to be hockey fans

Old 08-01-2013, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
That's because the demographics of Detroit was and still is generally poor. "Real" Detroiters, as you probably see them, don't have the money to throw down on expensive sporting event tickets. In other vibrant major cities, there are plenty of city dwellers that go to sporting events downtown. That's because the city doesn't mostly consist of poor working class like Detroit proper does.

This is all interesting to me. You don't see this kind of divisiveness in other major or up and coming cities between city dwellers and suburbanites. IMO, this prevailing attitude is unique to Metro Detroit.
has nothing to do with "poor". Detroit is a black city. Black People don't really watch hockey. end of point. Some so called "poor" Detroiters go out and spend $400 on belts and shoes, they can afford Red Wings tickets.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
I'm referring to city limits. But just because someone may be considered poor doesn't mean they can't go out and enjoy themselves. I'm a shift manager trainee (not even a full blown manager yet) at my job and a college student who receives no type of assistance or loans except for my scholarship. Plus I'm 19 so my insurance is sky high. I am considered to be below the poverty line by national standards but I go out and spend money all the time. I have a closet full of name brand clothes, go out to the movies, clubs, restaurants, ect on a regular basis. I may not be able to do this all the time, but most times it is no problem. The only difference is I just have to be warned ahead of time if it's too expensive. It's all about managing your money. I blew $1,200 in Vegas last year for vacation and that was before my second promotion.

Another thing you have to consider is, less than half of Detroit is actually considered poor. The other 60% is not considered poor, 60% in a city of 700,000 could roughly be it's own majorish city. I also know from personal experience that ALOT of Detroiters (many who are even considered unemployed) make money under the table. Not to many people claim money on their taxes if they don't have to. I sure as hell didn't whenever I made money on the side. And trust me, that money is not always the chump change you may think it is.

BTW, $40- $100 for something you do every once in a while is nothing. I put $50 in my gas tank every WEEK.
thank you!!! I hate when people use that as an excuse. Point is black people don't watch hockey. That's it. Plenty of people who would be considered "poor" in Detroit spend way more on things people in the burbs wouldn't buy. Don't belive me, one trip to the Gucci store in somerset will change your mind lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit