Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2013, 09:53 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,436,466 times

Advertisements

More than 300 volunteers, many wearing neon T-shirts, spent Saturday planting wildflowers and cleaning up a section of the Brightmoor area of Detroit as part of the Blight Elimination — 100 Houses Event, organized by the Detroit Rescue Mission Ministries and Mitch Albom Charities with the Blight Authority.

Hundreds come out to help beautify Detroit's Brightmoor neigbborhood | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 10:07 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,692,053 times
White suburbanites...we're so bad.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:48 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,436,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
White suburbanites...we're so bad.
I have never implied or stated that. I'm a white suburbanite myself. Born in Royal Oak, raised in Ferndale and Madison Heights. The city needs the white suburbanites (and all suburbanites for that matter) to contribute to its resurgence.

I know you think I'm someone else. Who was it you implied I was in the other thread? detroitlove was it? But that's not the case. I'm just a young, white suburbanite who moved back here a few months ago and I'm excited about the potential this region has to be great (for once in my lifetime). Definitely not a cheerleader here, just trying to be optimistic for a change.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:09 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,203,753 times
Great to see the residents of Detroit turn out in force!!

Old 08-11-2013, 05:55 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,930,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
I have never implied or stated that. I'm a white suburbanite myself. Born in Royal Oak, raised in Ferndale and Madison Heights. The city needs the white suburbanites (and all suburbanites for that matter) to contribute to its resurgence.

I know you think I'm someone else. Who was it you implied I was in the other thread? detroitlove was it? But that's not the case. I'm just a young, white suburbanite who moved back here a few months ago and I'm excited about the potential this region has to be great (for once in my lifetime). Definitely not a cheerleader here, just trying to be optimistic for a change.
You don't have the appropriate level of bitterness.
The bashers don't see this as a phase, lull, readjustment, temporary chapter in Detroit's history. They prefer to see it as Detroit's demise, a permanent situation, a ghost town, thus validating their disdain for the city and its residents.
In pursuit of that validation they love to tag progressive and constructive views as empty "cheerleading".
It's great that many suburbanites have the progressive view that we are a local and regional "community" and not disconnected entities - just need to get everybody on board imo.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:22 PM

530 posts, read 1,550,932 times
Now we'll get to see if Detroiters are.... ambitious enough to keep it clean, this time.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:48 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,692,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post

Sorry for not being clear enough that I was being sarcastic and that my comments were not directed at you, but merely a commentary on the subject of the article. White suburbanites are criticized by many black Detroiter leaders/experts as being the root cause of all that is wrong with Detroit, but whenever there are these clean-up events, notice who always shows up in disproportionately high numbers?

And there is nothing wrong about being a cheerleader for Detroit. It's just a matter of what side of Detroit you are being a cheerleader for: 1. the side that is all inclusive and welcomes help and valid criticism from outsiders or 2. the side that blindly believes there is no need to improve the status quo in Detroit and any attempt to do so is an attempt by racist outsiders to put down and take over the city. Again, this accusation is not directed at you but the broader subject.

And my comments about detroitlove on the other thread were not directed at you but at another poster who unwarrantly attacked - in a detroitlove sort of way - a valid comment about Whole Foods that was clearly not intended as a negative criticism of Detroit. It's that overreactive defensiveness against that turns people off.

Last edited by Retroit; 08-12-2013 at 08:06 AM..

Old 08-16-2013, 10:30 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,752,114 times
It's way past time that Brightmoor saw a little spiffing up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit