Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 10:33 PM

5,951 posts, read 13,043,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
You can post 1,000 words, 10,000 words, 100,000 words and the bottom line is there is more to do on Clark between Diversey and Addison than in the entire city of Detroit.

I don't really care about or have any interest in context free statistics. It is what it is.

The poster expressed interest in finding the "cultural/heartbeat" of Detroit and I told him that compared to Chicago it doesn't exist.
Fair enough. I was simply curious as to which clusters of blocks these were. I started listing a couple, and was just curious to know what you what you were thinking when you wrote that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 11:49 PM

5,951 posts, read 13,043,625 times
Quote:
You can post 1,000 words, 10,000 words, 100,000 words and the bottom line is there is more to do on Clark between Diversey and Addison than in the entire city of Detroit.

I don't really care about or have any interest in context free statistics. It is what it is.

The poster expressed interest in finding the "cultural/heartbeat" of Detroit and I told him that compared to Chicago it doesn't exist.
Also, out of curiosity, which is the "lame" part of Lakeview that is similar to Royal Oak, not disagreeing or arguing, but I'm curious to know.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:52 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,243,501 times
You probably have to have a fair amount of experience in Detroit to appreciate it. It's not like Philly, it's not like Indianapolis, it's not like Cincinnati.

Detroit was virtually abandoned by the late '80s by any meaningful businesses. In the late '80s, early 90s, it had almost zero trappings of a major city. You almost cannot overstate what bad shape it was in. You are talking about almost literal abandonment by any kind of relevant development, restaurants, new construction, etc. It was a veritable Mad Max situation.

It's gotten better and is turning into a very cool place but to lie to people who are moving from out of state and say "Woodward is the main drag" and "Indian Village is the wealthy district" etc. is nothing more than dishonesty.

Detroit very well may be he coolest place in the country 10 years from now and at the moment represents an absolutely fantastic opportunity for truly independent people, but it has as much in common with the normal idea of a major city as a garage sale does with Barneys, and there is no point in glossing it over.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:42 AM

406 posts, read 764,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
He right though. Chicago's critical mass blows Detroit's out of the water.

For example, there are parts of Chicago where there are several locations of the same national chain within walking distance, whereas you're hard pressed to find ANY national chains in Detroit's city limits.
lmao how does national chains equal more to do? I'm just saying. How many of you been to Chicago outside of downtown? its pretty much a bigger Detroit with a stronger economy

Old 08-25-2013, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Tex if I remember correctly you have spent virtually zero time in Detroit.
and you have spent so much time in Detroit? yea right

Old 08-25-2013, 02:49 AM

to the OP, there is PLENTY to do in Detroit. The vast majority of people on this site will have you thinking differently because they don't come into the city themselves. Your best bet is to check out Detroit for your own. Suburbanites will go to the end of the world and back to spread hate about Detroit no matter what. Hence why your thread wasn't even up long before the Detroit haters came in. To show you how stupid majority of them sound for example, there are a couple of comments on living in one of the inner ring suburbs, which is a joke. Pretty much Warren, Harper Woods etc aren't much different than Detroit but they will swear simply because its across 8 mile its so much better smh. The only suburbs with half of the things to do as the city is Royal Oak, Ferndale and maybe Birmingham. There is more to do in Detroit than any of the burbs. Like I said, check out the area for yourself and see what you prefer but don't just listen to some Suburbanite who hasn't been to the city in years, if ever. They'll have you thinking RO is a small Chicago which is a joke and far from the truth

Old 08-25-2013, 06:32 AM

20,949 posts, read 19,384,242 times
Any response to the questions posed the OP? We're all kind of aiming in the dark (and getting side tracked) without any feedback.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:18 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,413,276 times
There are plenty of people from Chicago suburbs who trash the city like the people on this board trash Detroit. People in this thread say that police response times and services suck in the city but little do you all know that they're pretty awful in Chicago too. There are a lot of bars and restaurants in Chicago but not everyone needs to go to a new one every week to feel happy.

OP: remember that the bad things you're reading here have been said a million times already about Chicago. Do you think everyone in 1980 who said it would be hell to live in Chicago was right? Just move to Midtown.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:33 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,243,501 times
That's fine. It's great that Midtown is coming back a bit but I have bad news for you, if you think it's comparable to a vibrant downtown of any major city in the world you are crazy.

Telling the OP that Midtown will offer even the smallest approximation of the "cultural/heartbeat" one would experience in Chicago is simply a lie.

My answer was an honest answer. But if it makes you feel better to obnoxiously grandstand and promote empty rah-rahism, go for it.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:20 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,694,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit's own View Post
How many of you been to Chicago outside of downtown? its pretty much a bigger Detroit with a stronger economy
Actually, I think that's a fair description.

I always say if Detroit and NYC had a baby it would be Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit