Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 04:09 PM

34 posts, read 165,944 times

Advertisements

As I listen to the news and read these forum threads, it's painfully obvious that all sorts people are leaving Michigan for a variety of reasons. Heck, I don't blame you I'm leaving in January. So I thought as a service to others who are relocating, let's list off who we are, where were going, and why...I'll start.

28, M, Royal Oak. Austin, Texas because it has a booming economy, no winter, and people my age. Metro-Detroit is getting depressing and our state's ridiculous debt is gonna catch up to us eventually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 04:36 PM

136 posts, read 999,337 times
Arrow Chicago, but ALMOST Houston

35, M, married to a 30 yr professional. I am a teacher. Live in SE Michigan. Almost decided to move to Houston (much better opportunties, and financial (CoL, etc.) situation. However, moving to Chicago to stay closer to family. Also provides more opportunities for my wife even though my pay is lower and C o L is higher. Moving in 15 days.
Cheers,
-TM

Old 07-30-2007, 06:38 PM

999 posts, read 4,527,992 times
My next move will probably be AZ while my kids are still young. Also considering KY.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:53 PM

23 posts, read 176,721 times
35, M. Moving to either Raleigh area or Charlotte in NC. Just finishing my nursing course next year, then off we go.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:49 PM

16 posts, read 37,918 times
We lost our company to the economics of this State and the Union put the last nail in that coffin. We are leaving for Tennessee, it is a right to work state, they let you keep your money when you open a business down there, let you have fun and do not tax you to death. We haven't even seen the big tail on this comet heading for this State. It is going to get worse. It is infuriating and depressing. I can't believe what the politicians are doing here. They only care about special interests and not the people of this State.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:54 AM

282 posts, read 1,169,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mslr View Post
As I listen to the news and read these forum threads, it's painfully obvious that all sorts people are leaving Michigan for a variety of reasons. Heck, I don't blame you I'm leaving in January. So I thought as a service to others who are relocating, let's list off who we are, where were going, and why...I'll start.

28, M, Royal Oak. Austin, Texas because it has a booming economy, no winter, and people my age. Metro-Detroit is getting depressing and our state's ridiculous debt is gonna catch up to us eventually.
When I was a child Detoilet was the 4th largest city in the country. Now it's like 12th. I'm looking into Charlotte N.C. This place is dead.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:36 PM

34 posts, read 165,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakian View Post
When I was a child Detoilet was the 4th largest city in the country. Now it's like 12th. I'm looking into Charlotte N.C. This place is dead.
seems like a lot of people are headed to charlotte...well, and atlanta

Old 09-08-2007, 06:14 PM

362 posts, read 1,502,889 times
Lived in the Detroit area all of my 60 years (with the exception of a short stint in Texas back in the late 60's) -- Dearborn, Taylor, Monroe and now Novi. We are relocating to Aiken, South Carolina -- I'm leaving in a month and my husband will be leaving once we sell our home. I have a job offer there and there's nothing holding us here. Michigan is, sad to say, a dying state -- and with the news that the state government may shut down at the end of the month, it doesn't make for a real good feeling about the future of Michigan under Granholm.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:10 AM

9 posts, read 37,695 times
Laramie, Wyoming to attend the University of Wyoming with my husband. We're both 23, and it's impossible for us to afford any of the universities around here. We both got accepted into MSU, and they offered us a grand total of $600 in financial aid, when the total price is somewhere around fourteen grand. When I called and asked them about it, they said that my husband and I could quit our jobs and maybe in six months they'd reconsider.

Meanwhile, in Laramie, it's about six thousand to go there (that's the out of state tuition price!) and I already have been given about four thousand in scholarships. Jobs are decent to come by (although more blue collar since it's a college town), and I have some family there.

I've applied and been accepted to several Michigan Universities: Madonna, U of M-Dearborn, MSU, and Oakland University and none of them have been very helpful in financing. Most just say, "Take out more loans." No offense, but I'd rather move out of state then stay in a state with little job opportunity that has very few ways to get an education without going into major student loan debt.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:12 AM

937 posts, read 2,834,335 times
Arizona. Love the climate and they're hiring for police like crazy. Perfect for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit