Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 02:16 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
The point, Tekkie, is some people are better off where they are happiest and will flourish. We try to encourage that in business. If I have a staff who isn't loving their job at my office - I'll see if there's something I can fix - and if not - it's better to let that employee go and bring in someone who is happy to be here. That employee wins and I win.

For example, I hope you get that job in Colorado - you'll be much happier there - Win for Colorado

At the same time, there will be a lot less negative ranting about Detroit on this forum - so collectively we will all be happier - Win for Detroit.

A true win/win.
I think that you forget that just a few months ago, I was on the other side of the fence. I was one of those advocating for Detroit. A few months later, I realize that nothing has changed here. It's still the same headstrong "We're doing just fine here" mentality that flourishes.

The problem with this mentality that you possess is that it prevents any possibility of addressing an issue that may be caused and/or controlled by you (or the people as a whole). Maybe it's an issue with the way you (the people) run things that is causing the employee to leave your company (Detroit). If I can't persuade you of that, maybe the hundreds of thousands who flocked from this place for somewhere better can.

Sure, you'll have one less person critiquing the problems of the city. You'll also have one less person paying taxes here. And the word continues to get spread like wild fire that Detroit is the same terrible city it has been for the past several decades.

Ya'll need to drop the pride and start rolling out the red carpet to welcome outsiders here. The fact is, the city needs us more than we need it. I know that may sound very arrogant on my part, but it's the truth and you know that deep down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 02:23 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,982,530 times
Analysis shows that the white and middle class exodus of the city was win/lose, and we know it wasn't the city that won. Maybe they should of stuck around with all their positive attitudes.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:35 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,273,537 times
Maybe things aren't moving at a fast enough pace for you but allow me to point out in the past year alone...

1) Kwame was sentenced to 28 years
2) Ferguson was sentenced to 21 years
3) Daddy Kilpatrick was sentences to 2 years

In three months, we will have a brand new mayor (most likely Duggan), those most against outside people helping the city on Council (Watson/Jones) will be replaced with new district representatives. Just think that an 80% black city is likely going to voluntarily elect a white mayor shows how fed up residents are. And aren't buying into the rhetroric of past elections. Which is the furthest thing from "apathy".

On top of that, M1 will commence construction this year on light rail for the first time in 50 years from Jefferson to Grand Boulevard. Meridian is building a new skyscraper. There will be a whole new Red Wings arena district. The Free Press/Whitney and Scott buildings will likely be done within 2 years. And that leaves what - maybe 3-5 abandoned buildings in all of downtown (starting w/ Book as largest). In 2007 downtown's office vacancy rate was 33%. It's now at 26%. That's a 21% improvement!

I'm curious what you would have done differently? Or what drastic changes you think could have been implemented in 30 days that would make Detroit the next Denver/Minneapolis? I don't think there are any more. Even Belle Isle will be managed by the state. We have a $30 million in funding for apartments up and down Woodward finalized this week.

I think, if anything, the struggles you're facing pertain to your current employment and lack of friends (which I find odd seeing you lived here 23 years - did you just abandon all friends upon moving to Colorado?) - and really have nothing to do with Detroit's comeback.

Last edited by belleislerunner; 10-18-2013 at 02:45 PM..

Old 10-18-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Maybe things aren't moving at a fast enough pace for you but allow me to point out in the past year alone...

1) Kwame was sentenced to 28 years
2) Ferguson was sentenced to 21 years
3) Daddy Kilpatrick was sentences to 2 years

In three months, we will have a brand new mayor (most likely Duggan), those most against outside people helping the city on Council (Watson/Jones) will be replaced with new district representatives. Just think that an 80% black city is likely going to voluntarily elect a white mayor shows how fed up residents are. And aren't buying into the rhetroric of past elections. Which is the furthest thing from "apathy".

On top of that, M1 will commence construction this year on light rail for the first time in 50 years from Jefferson to Grand Boulevard. Meridian is building a new skyscraper. There will be a whole new Red Wings arena district. The Free Press/Whitney and Scott buildings will likely be done within 2 years. And that leaves what - maybe 3-5 abandoned buildings in all of downtown (starting w/ Book as largest).

I'm curious what you would have done differently? Or what drastic changes you think could have been implemented in 30 days that would make Detroit the next Denver/Minneapolis? I don't think there are any more. Even Belle Isle will be managed by the state. We have a $30 million in funding for apartments up and down Woodward finalized this week.

I think, if anything, the struggles you're facing pertain to your current employment and lack of friends (which I find odd seeing you lived here 23 years - did you just abandon all friends upon moving to Colorado?) - and really have nothing to do with Detroit's comeback.
I still have a few friends I've kept in touch with since middle school, but we have grown very far apart in terms of what our interests are. Most, if not all, of my college friends moved out of Michigan as soon as they could. Plus, I got rid of Facebook earlier this year, so I don't really have a means of contacting the few remaining people that I last saw five years ago. Besides, I value quality over quantity.

I'm not saying that Detroit isn't making slow progress (it certainly is), I'm saying that the culture here is still sort of broken. The job market is not nearly as good as I was led to believe it was by friends, family, and other local professionals prior to my move back. And (young) people are just not as sociable around here as you think. I could find a meetup group with 20-30 somethings on any given night of the week in Denver. That culture DOES NOT exist here.

Last edited by Tekkie; 10-18-2013 at 02:54 PM..

Old 10-18-2013, 02:53 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,273,537 times
That's fair - but that just comes down to personal responsiblity.

I could tell you now of community/small groups that meet on any night of the week in downtown/midtown/West Village etc that have 10-15 20-30 somethings that meet for dinner/various discussions. But one might say "I'm not into church folk"

Or I could point to After 5 Detroit/Dhive activities that literally have calendar of events for every day of the week (today is Our House at Bonstelle, tomorrow is Flying Dutchman at Detroit Opera House). But one might say I don't like cultural events.

Or I could point to Come Play Detroit, or other sports leagues that have everything from hockey to softball to basketball. But one might say I'm not into sports.

Or I could point one to Sugar House, Motor City Wine, Valentine Vodka or all kinds of bars/drinking places. But one might say, I don't drink.

To which I would reply - the options are all there. It's up to each of us to find the ones we want.

I guarantee you there aren't 5 million people in Metro Detroit walking around lamenting, I wish I had a friend. It's because we make a choice not to get involved. There are no shortage of outlets for our time/energy.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
That's fair - but that just comes down to personal responsiblity.

I could tell you now of community/small groups that meet on any night of the week in downtown/midtown/West Village etc that have 10-15 20-30 somethings that meet for dinner/various discussions. But one might say "I'm not into church folk"

Or I could point to After 5 Detroit/Dhive activities that literally have calendar of events for every day of the week (today is Our House at Bonstelle, tomorrow is Flying Dutchman at Detroit Opera House). But one might say I don't like cultural events.

Or I could point to Come Play Detroit, or other sports leagues that have everything from hockey to softball to basketball. But one might say I'm not into sports.

Or I could point one to Sugar House, Motor City Wine, Valentine Vodka or all kinds of bars/drinking places. But one might say, I don't drink.

To which I would reply - the options are all there. It's up to each of us to find the ones we want.

I guarantee you there aren't 5 million people in Metro Detroit walking around lamenting, I wish I had a friend. It's because we make a choice not to get involved. There are no shortage of outlets for our time/energy.
I put myself out there all the time and really have had no such luck in meeting new, interesting people here that have actually stuck. I'm a very nice person, very loyal, and always willing to go out of my way for people. I really don't think it's a "me" thing. However, thanks for the Come Play Detroit idea. I checked out their site, but it doesn't appear they have any upcoming leagues in the sports I like. If I'm still around, I will check it out in the spring time. I'm not religious either, so that sort of eliminates the church groups as an option (which is unfortunate, as I think many people meet friends that way). I just can't pretend to believe in a "god".

That said, I still think the job market is not conducive to my skill set and experience. Not to say I haven't received interviews around here, I have. I even had a job offer which was ultimately turned down due to lack of compensation/benefits. The market is just extremely tight around here for someone with my experience and skill set (I'm either too experienced or not experienced enough; not much work for someone with 2-5 years of experience here in SCM). No matter how positive I present myself, that's not going to change.

One can be particularly responsible and just not have options in a particular location because of several variables. I think Detroit and the region have a long way to go to attract a more diverse group of people here from out of state.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:45 AM

21,132 posts, read 19,714,475 times
Different strokes for different folks. Move to a place you think you might like. Detroit (and every other city) was settled by people who left somewhere else usually due to dissatisfaction. No city should have to attract people. Cities should just be themselves and if people like it they will come and if they don't they will leave. Same thing goes for individuals: just be yourself. Like minded people will become your friends and unlikeminded people won't. Win/win.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:39 PM

203 posts, read 386,260 times
There are places that are just not open to outsiders. I've lived in a couple of them.

In my experience, Metro Detroit doesn't fall into this category. I've been surprised how welcoming people have been to me in Metro Detroit and Ann Arbor.

Also, I was pleasantly surprised at just how nice and interesting Downtown and Midtown Detroit are. I like the authentic feel of these neighborhoods. It was a pleasant change of pace from the fake, pretentious vibe of too many upscale urban areas. The area going east along the lakefront also seemed nice for the most part.

Even the less desirable areas of Detroit don't seem that bad to me. They seem more vacant than anything.

I've researched the technology boom in Detroit to some extent. The new opportunities I've heard of are primarily in the startup and web development fields. Is it possible that the technology boom is real, but that there's a mismatch between your SCM skill set and what the market here is looking for? As you know, technology jobs are highly dependent on having the specific skills the employer or client is looking for.

Incidentally, there is objective evidence that Jesus Christ is who he claims to be. These are good places to start:
* Is the Easter Story of Jesus' Resurrection True?|Did Jesus really rise from the dead on that Sunday? | Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry
* Evidence and Answers | Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry

Old 10-20-2013, 09:18 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
I appreciate your posts, Marvin.

Fortunately, I have a job that I was able to bring with me, albeit one that I don't like very much, but that's another matter. I've been trying off and on for the last several months to find another job in the local economy and I'm having absolutely no luck. OTOH, I just received an email from a former associate about a job in her department at a small telecom company in Colorado. So I might be moving out of here sooner than expected depending if that works out. As much as I like Detroit, the people here are a tough nut to crack. I've grown up and lived here for 23 years of my life, and I feel more like a foreigner here than I did out in Colorado. It's pretty sad.

And I agree with you about the City-Data forum. It generally has a very negative culture. I do take breaks from it from time to time.
Literally half of the residents of Colorado and the Denver area are not natives of the state. Being an outsider is actually an asset there in many cases since who you know does not amount to a hill of beans. My cousin and his wife have lived there for decades and love it and don't plan to leave the Denver area. I'd move there in a heartbeat if I could achieve my professional goal there. Not possible though at least in an area where I could find employment while developing my business on the side.

Areas of the country that have little in migration from people outside of the region are usually the most parochial. I've lived in 10 states (soon to be 11) and have found that areas that have a healthy mix of outsiders and natives to be the most welcoming. Areas comprised of a heavy dose of local people tend to be pretty conformist and closed which makes it tough for a newcomer.

It seems to me that Detroit is at a crossroads right now. Clearly there are some positive things starting to happen there after decades of decline. It is up to the business and civic leadership in the area to set the tone and decide if they want to roll out the welcome mat to non Michiganders or simply try to bring back former residents such as yourself.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:38 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Detroit bears the brunt of many jokes these days due to the loss of jobs in the automotive industry as well as manufacturing in general. Here's an article that seems to suggest that it is poised for a turnaround. Thought the people in Detroit would like to see this since so little positive press is given about your city. The part about Detroit is at the bottom of the first page.

The 15 Hottest American Cities of the Future - Yahoo Finance
Downtown Detroit is okay. Detroit needs to address their crime problem, which will happen slowly, over time, as they rebuild the tax infrastructure needed to actually pay their police department. Detroit has some serious infrastructural issues that need to be addressed. I could buy a $1 house, and someone else could live it in for free, or if I try to rent it out the renters are left to their own devices dealing with the squatters and that isn't good at all.

Large corporations will take over Detroit. They are the only entities that actually have the money to maintain abandoned areas of Detroit, where nature has taken over. Large swaths of the city should be sold to the highest bidder. Urban farming holds some promise, but I question how much money is in it. Plus, if people start to move back into the city those farms may eventually be removed. It is a short term solution, but doesn't truly address what ails the city.

I have seen a lot of positive press about the city, but it is difficult to talk about what is good, without addressing what is bad. One has to know where to look. I did see a piece on Dan Gilbert and I think that is the future of the city; individuals with deep pockets that are able to do things on their own on a large scale.

If you are in one of those abandoned neighborhoods, do you get your city services whenever they can actually afford to deliver them to you or do you pay a premium to have the city go out there? Picking up trash, electricity, street sweeping, etc. These are some of the issues people like to ignore when talking about Detroit. You assume that your street lights will be replaced, or that traffic signals are working, etc. in a major city. To me those are the issues with discussing because at this point anyone moving into the city is probably telecommuting, or an artist, writer, etc. and not looking to work in a factory. People looking for an urban atmosphere at fire sale prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit