Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2013, 09:54 AM

5,513 posts, read 8,723,756 times

Advertisements

I'd be interested in what Detroiters thought about it. I thought it was OK -- but only OK. A good overview for people who know little about the city, but I found the reporting surprisingly thin and very top-down. Mr. Orr and the Quicken loan guy took up the most time and they would be obvious choices to talk to. But very little time was given over to people who live or work there -- a couple of firemen were interviewed and one African-American woman who complained about police response times. I there any newcomers to the city CBS didn't find them. You didn't get the impression that there were many people who lived in the city that cared much about it--and maybe that's true. It certainly felt that way when I lived there many years ago. Maybe still does.

At any rate, what did Detroit think about the show?

EDIT: And just for the record, since I'm a New Yorker, I hope the Tigers cream the Red Sox!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 11:04 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,565,662 times
I hadn't watched it on TV, but a 13 minute segment is on their website.

Detroit on the edge - 60 Minutes - CBS News

I'm not sure if it's the full segment, but I thought it was pretty accurate. Detroit is a vast and diverse city with just as much in depth detail as you'd find in any other city. There's a lot more to just what is in this story, but it's a pretty good summary that fits within 15 minutes.

A lot of people seem upset by it, but honestly if this is the whole video then I really wouldn't expect anything more in-depth. There's tons of documentaries for every little aspect of Detroit that people can go out and find if they really want to.

The only thing I would add is the entrepreneurship and appeal to college students that is being fostered in the downtown area. But overall, decent story about the city.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:23 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,255,101 times
It's the same segment. I haven't watched it yet.

A lot of the national coverage tends to be the same... show how f**ked it is, show a few new glimmers of light, offer a few solutions that are either a) absurd, or b) will simply never happen, pack up and go home for a few years.

I'm sure they'll be back wringing their hands in 2015 when the population drops below 600,000 and it's a slow news week.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:55 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,710,410 times
Nope.

It didn't tell me anything I don't already know.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:30 AM

429 posts, read 968,618 times
I think things are slowly changing in some areas of detroit, or at least where i live i have noticed a positive difference from when i moved here approx 3 years ago. We can easily sell our loft for 3x's what we paid just 3 years ago, and im not downtown. Im on the lower east side of the city. Also there are people in Detroit who care and are trying to make a difference and make things better. But how exciting would the news story be if it were about the different local neighborhoods who as a collective whole clean the over growth around and board up the abandoned houses near them to keep squatters out and to keep them from being turned into traps houses. Or the neighborhoods that get together to clean up there park and play ground for the kids in their area and the following weekend have a "block party" to celebrate. Deff not all of detroit is doing this but i am seeing more and more of it.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:38 PM

655 posts, read 2,197,750 times
I missed it but I know they showed two places...Packard and the train station. It's like mandatory for everything about Detroit to feature them. If they didn't, good for them.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:32 PM

302 posts, read 367,851 times
YESSSSSSS

And just for the record, since I'm a New Yorker, I hope the Tigers cream the Red Sox!

Last edited by saintmj nyc; 10-17-2013 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: wrong color
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: