Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 06:28 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,144,470 times

Advertisements

I know some people will scoff at this idea, but before you do, just think about it for a second. I think Detroit should consider tapping into its French history as a way to bring down all the negative stereotypes about the city. Detroit is known as: Violent, rust-belt, decayed, cold, blue-collar, unsophisticated...etc. Detroit has some great assets to leverage..its music, car history and the fact it borders Canada. However, I think that Detroit really needs to think outside of the box in remaking its image for the future. I think architecture/urban planning is extremely important. That all being said, Detroit was known as the Paris of the Midwest in the past. Yes, the roads were designed as Parisian Boulevards. However, the term signified beauty and elegance. The bottom line is that French language, culture, architecture is considered high and it sells. So, Detroit is not in the position to build a skyline like Chicago, Miami, or New York. It is in the position, however, to build 6 to 7 story buildings. So, imagine if Detroit were to model itself to look more like a European City as opposed to a North American City.I am proposing building a New Detroit...the area south of I-94 from Dearborn to Grosse Point. (Cobble-stoned roads, plazas, narrow streets, fountains, sculptured tree-lined streets, and a uniform architecture zoning) So imagine if Michigan Avenue, Grand River Avenue, Gratiot Avenue, Jefferson Avenue, and Woodward Avenues all had sculptured trees, fountains, and most importantly lined with 7 story Beaux Arts buildings, one after the other. Any support?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 07:02 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
And change its name to DETWA...

Old 07-03-2013, 07:09 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,745,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
And change its name to DETWA...
I prefer Delta City, MI myself.

It has a nice ring to it.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:39 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,526,158 times
*Chortles*

Old 07-04-2013, 01:47 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,616,968 times
Maybe Rusty City? Rust Belt. Well I'd settle for Motown Megalopolis

Old 07-04-2013, 02:41 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,066,236 times
Paris of the Midwest? Good luck with that! Most Americans already know that Detroit is a disaster. It's more akin to a failed government and state than it is to a unique cultural hub like Paris.

It would be easier (and more truthful) to rebrand it as the "Somalia of the Midwest" or the "Zimbabwe of the Midwest".

Last edited by Bhaalspawn; 07-04-2013 at 03:54 PM..

Old 07-04-2013, 02:52 PM

240 posts, read 465,052 times
First of all, I think you should get some credit for thinking outside of the box, Republic. Paris was once known as the "Paris of the Midwest" (Leaving Detroit. What Happened to a City Once Improbably Called : "The Paris of the Midwest."), although for unfortunate reasons that moniker is no longer used except maybe in jest or "remember the way things used to be?"

Considering its French name and history it'd be great to think it could once again be "Paris of the Midwest". That being said, you need independent financial investors and developers (and LOTS of them) to make something like this happen. The government is in no shape to make something like this happen, nor would it really be the City's responsibility even if it were in a good situation. I think your best chance at making something like this happen would be to have the ear of people like Ilitch and Gilbert. Still, you would actually need to convince people to inhabit 6 or 7 story buildings, and considering the incredible population decline over the past 60 years, I think your best hope would be to take your idea one block at a time.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:36 PM

155 posts, read 310,739 times
Why is there a need to build new construction? Why not renovate the buildings and homes that are already there? Just pick a property and claim it as your own. It's free, like land in the Wild Wild West.

I think the city can become whatever it wants to be.

Younger people can make it an artist's Mecca. Why not?

Just some sweat equity. Farmers markets. City community gardens. Bartering goods and services (which Uncle Sam will still tax as regular income.) And appreciating the architecture of the city.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:39 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,144,470 times
[quote=hot_in_dc;30331261]Why is there a need to build new construction? Why not renovate the buildings and homes that are already there? Just pick a property and claim it as your own. It's free, like land in the Wild Wild West.

I agree that preservation is important. Detroit has a sad history of demolishing its beautiful buildings downtown and turning them into parking lots. But if you read the Detroit Future Project, the ultimate goal is to clear out the areas south of I-94 from Dearborn to Grosse Point with the exception of Mexican Town, Woodbridge, Corktown, New Center, Midtown, Downtown, Rivertown, Harbortown/Warehouse District, Eastern Market, Indian Village, West Village, East English Village, and the Marina District. 70,000 people will have to relocate from the remaining areas south of I-94. 60% of them are renter households. These areas will be cleared out entirely with no near plans to rebuild. The point of clearing these areas are based on 1) Clearing out blighted properties since it causes more blight and contributes to crime, 2) saving the city administrative costs in providing services to sparsely populated areas, and 3) clearing out crime ridden areas next to midtown and downtown to foster more urban professionals to move into the city. There will only be a need to rebuild structures up and down the major boulevards south of I-94. (Grand River, Gratiot, Jefferson, Woodward, and Michigan) Almost all the buildings are gone and not worth saving. Many are one story buildings.

Just imagine Detroit south of I-94 from Dearborn to Grosse Pointe cleared out except for the thriving neighborhoods mentioned above. All I am proposing is having the city impose an architectural uniformity zoning law for all buildings that will be constructed on all of these boulevards. Go on Google maps and look at city view of boulevards in Paris. Look at the tree lined streets, and the facades of the buildings and roofs. Now, if Detroit could translate this to 5 of its major boulevards, as well as all of Harbortown, Detroit would overnight be considered one of the most beautiful cities in North America. The River and the boulevards lend itself to an old world European-style City. Step 1, Clear out all the land and relocate people, step 2) enact zoning laws with specific architecture.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:40 PM

123 posts, read 192,832 times
One thing Detroit has going for itself is past success, which is always something to build on. I've been told that the city has a growing tech community. Any city that at one point rivaled New York has a chance to rebound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit