Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2007, 06:23 PM

167 posts, read 432,764 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry, but I just can't find anything good to say about the city. Everytime that I went to Detroit, it was to pass through on my way to Canada. I know of quite a few people that have been to different parts of Detroit and all of them said that it made them uneasy. The environment, the atmosphere. It was uncomfortable to them.
I have watched the Detroit news on occasion and I have to say that I didn't see a whole lot of good. Even the current powers that be have been in a state of "conduct un-becoming"!
That's kind of sad to me because the best thing that Detroit has to offer, is its people. I know that there are a lot of good people in Detroit. It's truely a shame when a handfull are allowed to disrupt what would otherwise be a pretty normal life for those who live there and a much different view from those who don't.
The ill's that afflict Detroit, afflict alot of the city's in this state. Detroit is a dying city. The cancerous growth that clings to the city affects many. If the people of Detroit want something different, hell, if we ALL want something different, it will take change of major proportions. Mabey a revolution.? Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 08:03 PM

144 posts, read 548,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merit1sje View Post
I'm sorry, but I just can't find anything good to say about the city. Everytime that I went to Detroit, it was to pass through on my way to Canada. I know of quite a few people that have been to different parts of Detroit and all of them said that it made them uneasy. The environment, the atmosphere. It was uncomfortable to them.
I am not by and large a supporter of Detroit, however, I find the above comments a little offensive. Detroit is plaqued by a lot of very serious problems, to be sure, but I sure would like to know where your friends went to in Detroit? Fox Theatre, Ford Field, Comerica Park, Cobo Hall, Fisher Theatre? Where? Because if they came to any of these venues I don't understand why they felt "uncomfortable". If they visited friends in Indian Village, New Center Area, Boston-Edison district, etc.. I think they would have found that they would have been surprised that they were in a large troubled city.

And if you only " pass through on my way to Canada" how in the world can you even form an opinion on Detroit?

Quote:
I have watched the Detroit news on occasion and I have to say that I didn't see a whole lot of good. Even the current powers that be have been in a state of "conduct un-becoming"!
Your right the TV news does report on the crimes etc.. of Detroit. But you must only watch the first 5 minutes of the news cast, because they also report on the events in the city some of which are very good and appeal to a very wide demographic.

And while I consider Mayor Killpatrick just another fancy dressed thug, he is NOT Detroit. He is a politician.

Quote:
That's kind of sad to me because the best thing that Detroit has to offer, is its people. I know that there are a lot of good people in Detroit. It's truely a shame when a handfull are allowed to disrupt what would otherwise be a pretty normal life for those who live there and a much different view from those who don't.
And giving your statement in the first paragraph of this post, how in the heck to you "know that there are a lot of good people in Detroit"? You've only passed through Detroit on your way to Canada... Give me a break, you must live in a dream world if you think that it's only a "handfull" of people that "disrupt" the city. It goes way beyond disruption.

Quote:
The ill's that afflict Detroit, afflict alot of the city's in this state. Detroit is a dying city. The cancerous growth that clings to the city affects many. If the people of Detroit want something different, hell, if we ALL want something different, it will take change of major proportions. Mabey a revolution.? Steve
By in large Detroit has a very unique set of problems that do not "afflict alot of the city's in this state". I don't know where you live or what the area you live in is about, but before you spout opinions on the City of Detroit you ought to do some research and go back (way back) in the history of Detroit to really be able to understand why it is the way it is. And then maybe you'll be able to give of an opinion that is based on reality not based on your view from the I-75 expressway or the Ambassador Bridge.

And a piece of advice, throwing out a suggestion of "a revolution" is just plain unacceptable. Detroit has had enough of that kind of mentality, and doesn't need any more of it.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:16 PM

392 posts, read 1,862,112 times
OK, so you only go to Detroit to "pass through" and you want to talk trash about it? You watch the Detroit news "on occasion" and you got it, huh?
I suggest if Detroit is so scary to you and your friends that you cross over to Canada up in Port Huron.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:28 PM

167 posts, read 432,764 times
I'm sorry if I offended anyone but Detroit still has serious problems! My own fair city of Jackson certainly does'nt have a lot to boast about either. As a matter of fact, I did go to the Fisher Theatre back in high school. I saw Leonard Nemoy in a Sherlock Holmes production. The show was great! That was in "78". I went to Tigers Stadium when I was 14. That was in "76". I've been to Greenfield Village a couple of time's. I think I was ten.? I used to visit my Grandmother in Taylor. All of my visits where fine. I've also been down Jefferson St. About 12 years ago. I hope that wasn't an indication of what the rest of Detroit looked like, back then!
We all form opinions based on things we know little about. My opinion of Detroit is founded in the new's and from personal accounts of people who go there everyday. I have also looked up some statistical information on CityData.com. Although Detroits overall crime rate has dropped slightly, it still beats out every other major city in specific crimes in the State of Michigan. Yes , there are some cities whose specific crime's beat out Detroit, but they are few. Check it out.
The reporting of crime in the Detroit news is definately longer than five minutes and yes, they do toss in a good story now and then. As for the Mayor (and by virtue of this fact), he is indeed "Detroit"! He is an elected public servant of that city by the people of that city! What's interesting to note about this is the fact that he was re-elected to a second term even with allegations of official misconduct against him.
With some approximately 50,000 reported total crimes for Detroit in the year of 2006, that leaves some 820,000 people left. That's how I know that there are alot of good people in Detroit! And no doubt about it, there are other things that affect Detroit too. The same things that affect every other major city in this state! Look up the information, it's out there.
I don't have to look back that far into Detroits history to realize that someone dropped the ball a long time ago. Like I said, only the people of Detroit can bring about change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit