Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Detroit start to come back with this new Mayor ?
Yes 7 20.00%
Nope 0 0%
Doesn't matter 2 5.71%
The city is already coming back 9 25.71%
The city needs much more than a new Mayor 12 34.29%
When crime goes down and jobs go up , it will come back 14 40.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 06:26 AM

302 posts, read 368,808 times

Advertisements

Will it start a change ? , does it matter? , your thoughts / hopes / suggestions for this once great city . I myself am rooting for Detroit as I have friends living there who are fine artists that have tried to get me to buy real estate there , and have been telling me it has already begun to change......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 08:02 AM

21,124 posts, read 19,707,707 times
If black Detroiters are willing to accept a white person as mayor, that gives hope to the rest of whites. The implicit "Blacks Only - No Whites Allowed" signs are coming down.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:43 AM

Surely you don't have to be of the same race that the voters are .
I'm hoping this city comes back from the dismal place it's in and destroys the nay-sayers .

Last time I was there , I saw some signs of hope , more diverse people spreading out from midtown , farmers market and wow a new Whole Foods !

Old 11-06-2013, 08:52 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintmj nyc View Post
Will it start a change ? , does it matter? , your thoughts / hopes / suggestions for this once great city . I myself am rooting for Detroit as I have friends living there who are fine artists that have tried to get me to buy real estate there , and have been telling me it has already begun to change......

Maryann Mahaffey, who was white and now deceased, could have been elected Mayor of Detroit in the 90's, I believe. I most certainly would have voted for her and I believe that a lot of other Detroiters would have as well.

I think Detroit is turning around and has been turning around the last 8 or so years as the result of a people like Mike Illitch and Dan Gilbert and a host of other major players deciding that they want the City of Detroit to be a competitive place to attract talented workers.

People are looking to the wrong place when they look at political leaders. Its really the economic leaders that will bring the city back. The white mayor, now, is just symbolism over substance. However, that symbolism is powerful to the perceptions of whites, just like the symbolism of a black president is powerful for the perception of blacks. Blacks see the country differently and more optimistically with a black president and white will see Detroit differently and more optimistically with a white Mayor.....and since the loss of white optimism was really the cause of Detroit's decline, the rise of white optimism likely will be beneficial. It should not be that way in a perfect world.....but race still matters profoundly in this nation.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Maryann Mahaffey, who was white and now deceased, could have been elected Mayor of Detroit in the 90's, I believe. I most certainly would have voted for her and I believe that a lot of other Detroiters would have as well.
they want the City of Detroit to be a competitive place to attract talented workers.

People are looking to the wrong place when they look at political leaders. Its really the economic leaders that will bring the city back. The white mayor, now, is just symbolism over substance. However, that symbolism is powerful to the perceptions of whites, just like the symbolism of a black president is powerful for the perception of blacks. Blacks see the country differently and more optimistically with a black president and white will see Detroit differently and more optimistically with a white Mayor.
Agreed
Very good points indeed !
I'm sure anybody who can turn things around would be welcome .

Old 11-06-2013, 08:59 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,254 times
This reminds me of when America elected Pros Obama because Bush screwed up so much lol. The same thing happened in Detroit in reverse

Old 11-06-2013, 11:27 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,273,157 times
Why would someone from NYC focus on the skin color of a Detroit mayor?

Or any mayor.

That's pretty racist.

We're a little more progressive here and we vote based on the best candidate.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:35 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times
Color doesn't matter.

If its the same ole Democrat policies,nothing will change.

Now if they would have elected a black republican,change would have come.

Different race,same party.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:55 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
The white mayor, now, is just symbolism over substance. However, that symbolism is powerful to the perceptions of whites, just like the symbolism of a black president is powerful for the perception of blacks. Blacks see the country differently and more optimistically with a black president and white will see Detroit differently and more optimistically with a white Mayor.....and since the loss of white optimism was really the cause of Detroit's decline, the rise of white optimism likely will be beneficial. It should not be that way in a perfect world.....but race still matters profoundly in this nation.
I like what you have to say about symbolism.

You phrased this very very well. Particularly with such a potentially touchy issue that gets into race, and you tipped into a core point, that rings very true.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
Why would someone from NYC focus on the skin color of a Detroit mayor?

Or any mayor.

That's pretty racist.

We're a little more progressive here and we vote based on the best candidate.

I happen to have some ' skin in the game ' so to speak . Between friends living there and thinking of investing around town , I'm VERY interested in what is going on there and other areas around this country .

Aren't you interested in things beyond your own circle ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit