Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 10:33 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,942,015 times

Advertisements

Plymouth as is described above. Its a family-friendly community, and the downtown caters to that and a more mature/older entertainment scene. The restaurant/bar scene is more of the grab dinner & drinks or hang-out/catch-up with friends type of places. Unlike Royal Oak, which predominately has more of a club, loud music, party-hard, singles twenty-something crowd.

It is a nice place to me, although not always the most convenient option for someone who might work in parts of Oakland County (e.g., Troy, Auburn Hills) or Macomb County. A good option for someone who works in Dearborn, downtown Detroit, Novi/Farmington/I-275 corridor, or Ann Arbor. Next year will be bad as I-96 will be closed in 2014 for reconstruction but otherwise a good commute to the area above. However if I worked in Ann Arbor, I'd live in Ann Arbor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
Oh wow, I heard there were a couple of spots to check out there. I admit I don't go up that way often unless I'm going to a Pistons game or Great Lakes Crossing.
I haven't gone out in Pontiac in about 5 years and I remember it being kind of cool around like 2002-2003. I drive through it regularly though. Pontiac just weirds me out and it honestly seems like far more of a dump/wasteland than Detroit. It's the problem that Oakland County and L Brooks Patterson like to sweep under the carpet and deny that exists.

In the early 2000s Pontiac got some places in there and it seemed like they were attempting to clean-up/fix-up the downtown area. Maybe it was also that places like Clutch Cargos seemed cool to me when I was 21. Its mostly a club type scene of whats left in Pontiac. I'm not sure than any decent restaurants are left. The Phoenix Center is vacant and nearly falling apart. Pontiac could've been cool and could be a nice little urban hotspot in Oakland County, as could Mt. Clemens in Macomb County.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:25 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times
I hear there are plans to demolish the Phoenix Center and even possibly daylighting a river that used to run through downtown Pontiac. No definite time tables on that though. Either way, Pontiac could definitely be a lot better than how it currently is.

The only real establishment I'm familiar there with is the Crofoot. I've never been, but lots of semi-major bands make their stop there.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:03 AM

38 posts, read 58,098 times
Thanks again for everyone's input!

Does anyone have any thoughts on places like Clawson, Berkley, Huntington Woods, or Pleasant Ridge for what I'm looking for?
My thought process is that these places would be cheaper and less "yuppie" than Royal Oak, and less "hipster"-esque than Ferndale (again, I mean no scorn in using these terms, it's just not what I'm looking for). I would still be very close to all the nightlife options Ferndale and Royal Oak offer, and I'd expect a bit of run-off from the many singles in those places, or perhaps from others looking for something more middle-of-the-road (though if not, I'm really just a few miles away). Thoughts?

Last edited by MyDogRulesTheUniverse; 12-22-2013 at 08:49 AM..

Old 12-22-2013, 08:10 AM

211 posts, read 299,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDogRulesTheUniverse View Post

Does anyone have any thoughts on places like Clawson, Berkley, Huntington Woods, or Pleasant Ridge for what I'm looking for?
My thought process is that these places would be cheaper and less "yuppie" than Royal Oak, and less "hipster"-esque than Ferndale (again, I mean no scorn in using these terms, it's just not what I'm looking for). I would still be very close to all the nightlife options these cities offer, and I'd expect a bit of run-off from the many singles there, or perhaps from others looking for something more middle-of-the-road (though if not, I'm really just a few miles away). Thoughts?
How about Troy? Troy is pretty close to the action granted that there are a lot more families there.
Troy also does have its share of nice bars. Kona Grill and Granite City!

I'm not a big fan of Plymouth. It is basically a smaller version of downtown royal oak... and downtown royal oak is already pretty small...... Plymouth does have a slightly older crowd.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:47 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
I've got kin in Berkley, and they're very happy there- close to the fun in Royal Oak and the rest of Woodward, but you aren't paying a surcharge for a Royal Oak zip code.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:50 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDogRulesTheUniverse View Post

My thought process is that these places would be cheaper and less "yuppie" than Royal Oak, and less "hipster"-esque than Ferndale (again, I mean no scorn in using these terms, it's just not what I'm looking for). I would still be very close to all the nightlife options Ferndale and Royal Oak offer, and I'd expect a bit of run-off from the many singles in those places, or perhaps from others looking for something more middle-of-the-road (though if not, I'm really just a few miles away). Thoughts?
I think Berkley and Clawson would be exceptional choices. I think overall COL and taxes are cheaper in those areas, but they're still safe and quiet. They both have charming little downtowns, too (we're talking a city block or two, nothing extravagant).

Huntington Woods and Pleasant Ridge are going to be kind of pricey I think. They'e higher end areas compared to Royal Oak and Ferndale. If you can afford to live there, then by all means do it. But if you're looking for affordability, Berkley and Clawson will be your best bets.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:07 AM

Much of what you are looking for will depend on whether you are looking to rent vs. buy and/or seeking a house, apartment, or condo.

The "description" of Ferndale or Royal Oak mostly applies to the vibe of the downtown areas. You'll find that once you get outside of the downtown commerical areas the neighborhood areas of Royal Oak, Ferndale, Berkley, and Clawson are very similar.

I live in Royal Oak a good 2 miles away from downtown. In fact I am closer to downtown Birmingham, Berkley, and Clawson than I am downtown Royal Oak. My neighborhood is certainly not "yuppie" or "frat-party like". Its very quiet. My street is a mix of senior citizens, families with young kids, and a bunch of single/divorcee types in their 30s/40s/50s. The houses are mostly all bungalow, a few tear-down/rebuilts that seem more like the Birmingham type, and a few homes that look like they are straight out of the trailer park.

The neighborhood areas of Clawson, Royal Oak, and Berkley are all very similar and may have slightly different costs of taxes in each muncipality depending on schools and service.

Plus, in terms of finding a women, well most people these days meet their significant other through a) work b) friends c) on-line dating d) groups/clubs
I would not plan on meeting your significant other at a bar in Royal Oak or in any city for that matter.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:35 PM

38 posts, read 58,098 times
Thanks everyone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfactor85
How about Troy? Troy is pretty close to the action granted that there are a lot more families there.
Troy also does have its share of nice bars. Kona Grill and Granite City!

I'm not a big fan of Plymouth. It is basically a smaller version of downtown royal oak... and downtown royal oak is already pretty small...... Plymouth does have a slightly older crowd.
Thanks, xfactor85! Troy's a little further from WSU than I'd like, but I'll definitely check more into it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie
I think Berkley and Clawson would be exceptional choices. I think overall COL and taxes are cheaper in those areas, but they're still safe and quiet. They both have charming little downtowns, too (we're talking a city block or two, nothing extravagant).

Huntington Woods and Pleasant Ridge are going to be kind of pricey I think. They'e higher end areas compared to Royal Oak and Ferndale. If you can afford to live there, then by all means do it. But if you're looking for affordability, Berkley and Clawson will be your best bets.
Thanks again! I wasn't sure I had the right idea when I said all those would be cheaper than Royal Oak; I'll definitely keep the expense in mind with Huntington Woods and Pleasant Ridge!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer
Much of what you are looking for will depend on whether you are looking to rent vs. buy and/or seeking a house, apartment, or condo.

The "description" of Ferndale or Royal Oak mostly applies to the vibe of the downtown areas. You'll find that once you get outside of the downtown commerical areas the neighborhood areas of Royal Oak, Ferndale, Berkley, and Clawson are very similar.

I live in Royal Oak a good 2 miles away from downtown. In fact I am closer to downtown Birmingham, Berkley, and Clawson than I am downtown Royal Oak. My neighborhood is certainly not "yuppie" or "frat-party like". Its very quiet. My street is a mix of senior citizens, families with young kids, and a bunch of single/divorcee types in their 30s/40s/50s. The houses are mostly all bungalow, a few tear-down/rebuilts that seem more like the Birmingham type, and a few homes that look like they are straight out of the trailer park.

The neighborhood areas of Clawson, Royal Oak, and Berkley are all very similar and may have slightly different costs of taxes in each muncipality depending on schools and service.

Plus, in terms of finding a women, well most people these days meet their significant other through a) work b) friends c) on-line dating d) groups/clubs
I would not plan on meeting your significant other at a bar in Royal Oak or in any city for that matter.
Thanks again DTWflyer!
I should say then that I'm looking to rent, in case it's relevant to anyone's input.
Thanks for pointing out that these neighborhood areas are mostly very similar, with the exception of the downtown areas. I'll definitely keep this in mind!
I understand what you're saying about where most people find romantic partners these days. Nonetheless, I'd still like to give myself the best chances of finding someone in terms of location.

Last edited by MyDogRulesTheUniverse; 12-22-2013 at 03:00 PM..

Old 12-26-2013, 12:55 PM

615 posts, read 1,391,747 times
I think some people on this thread have misconceptions about Ferndale.

Yes, it likely has more gays per capita than any other community in the Detroit area, but it is nothing like The Castro, North Lakeview, or Greenwich Village. Straights outnumber gays in Ferndale by a wide margin.

Downside of Ferndale is if you intend to get the love or your life pregnant. You'll likely need a private school for the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit